Clear All

• 'Jamaica had a huge, huge impact on my career'

'Jamaica had a huge, huge impact on my career'
    published: Tuesday | November 14, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Anthony Foster, Freelance Writer

Sanya Richards - Reuters

published: Tuesday | November 14, 2006

Jamaican-born Sanya Richards, the United States' 400m record holder, has stated that Jamaica has made a "huge impact" on her track and field athletics career.

Richards, who ran an impressive 48.70 seconds at the Athens World Cup to lower Valerie Brisco's U.S. record of 48.83 which was set at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, said the groundwork for her success was laid in Jamaica.

"Jamaica had a huge impact on my track and field career," said the 21-year-old sprinter.

"I remember when I first went to the States and I ran my first race, they said 'where did you learn that form?' and I said, 'in Jamaica,'" added the Olympic mile-relay gold medallist, who migrated to the United States at age 12.

She explained how it all started.

"When I was at Vaz Prep, Ms. Simpson, Mr. Gordon and Mr. Graham, they would have a stand and work on our form for half of practice," continued the World Championships 400m silver medallist.

"I remembered coaches always say that if you don't have good form you are more likely to break down, and so, for me to have that perfect form and that instilled at that young age, I am able now to get better and better and build upon the foundation I was given in Jamaica. So Jamaica had a huge, huge impact on my career," explained the IAAF female Athlete of the Year.

Representing the US

Richards also spoke about making the decision to represent the United States, as opposed to representing the land of her birth.

She said after thinking about it, she decided that "... if I am going to live in the United States and reap the benefits now from the United States, I didn't want to have that ... training with the U.S. coaches and benefitting from the U.S. and then going back and representing Jamaica.

"Hopefully, it won't make a difference in what the bottom line is - giving back and helping other people. I plan to do that in Jamaica, regardless of what colours I wear."
    </DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: 'Jamaica had a huge, huge impact on my career'

She is due in the island on Thursday and will be staying at Grand Lido Braco till Sunday
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
    X