RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spanish Town High PE Dept must be joking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Town High PE Dept must be joking.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Player ineligibility ousts Spanish Town High</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>Group Three quarter-final winners Spanish Town High were forced to withdrew from the Corporate Area Schoolboy Manning Cup competition after they were found in breach of the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) eligibility rule.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Reports are that the school allowed a player who repeated Fifth Form on two occasions to compete for the team, though ISSA clearly stipulates that no player can repeat the 11th grade more than once.
    Assistant coach Cecil Thomas said they were quite aware of the rules a few years ago.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"In the early 2000 we knew of the rule; it was even on the ISSA rule books back then, but we've not seen or heard anything of this rule for a while, we thought it was obsolete," he said.
    Up to three players were said to be incriminated, according to a radio report, but Thomas said he was only aware of one player.
    He said the player and entire team was distraught by the situation, as they had set their sights on winning their second Manning Cup title.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"He (the player) has been hard on himself, saying it's his fault, but we let him know it's not his fault," Thomas added.
    Eltham High have been declared group winners and will contest the final-four double-header at the Spanish Town Prison Oval on Saturday.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In the opener at 1:00 pm, champions Calabar take on dark-horses Bridgeport High, while in the 3 o'clock feature, Excelsior tackle Eltham.

RE: Spanish Town High PE Dept must be joking.

The head of the PE Department should be fired. But it seems to me that the only purpose of the rule is to ensure that someone does not stay in 5th form just to play football.

If the youngster was bright enough to go the 6th form then most like he would have found another school with a 6th form and continue to play ball.

If the youngsteris not bright enough to go to 6th form but he is young enough to continue playing manning cup then why not let him stay in school and play football? Perhaps he will learn something educationally in those two years!
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Hmm ....Fire the Head of the PE Dept.?:w00t: Well, since the Prinicpal is the CEO of that school organization, he/she shouldt be held accountable too!!
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Ha ha ha-- you would be surprised at how many PE departments and coaches push the envelope and many get away with it too...there are schools in Westmoreland who have boys there who I am willing to bet cant read and write.

We are also hearing that club teams playing schoolboy football is not restricted to the DCup nor Clarendon either but certain schools in Kingston have started the trend too.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

The Principal signed off on the registration form and sent whoever presented the form to him or her on their merry little way. A clear sign of ignorance to the rules, the students on the team and a lack of afirm grip of steering the school in the right direction. This is a fault that I find with Principals who put too much confidence in their memebers of staff. They do not cheak these entries as they just sign off with a quick flash of the pen just to get you out of the way because they have more important things to do. Well this has becaome a MAJOR embarassing problem for them.

Comment

You know why? It is so easy to hide players eligilibity because there is no cheak up or verification to these rules. Only the submission of proof of birthdo ISSA really querry about. In a society like ourswhere 'beating the system' is a refined art no wonder some schools get away with cheating.

Comment

<DIV>Tilla, do you think ISSA is being tough on Spain Town High? They only wanted to give this player an opportunity. Again!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>This happened so regularly in my time it wasn't funny. I know people who repeated twice at two different schools!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Time (11/15/2006)

If the youngsteris not bright enough to go to 6th form but he is young enough to continue playing manning cup then why not let him stay in school and play football? Perhaps he will learn something educationally in those two years!
                Are you serious? If he's not bright enuff to go to sixth form or to graduate from 5th form he should not be playing football in high school. Find some club that will put up with his illiterate ass and give him a contract to sign that says he will forfeit any remuneration for the first 5 years of his 10 year contract. He can't read it anyway, so he won't know.

"Sir, put an X beside the x. Thanks!"

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There are check Glor, but given the fact that ISSA has very little man power and resources, they cant check very single one of the neartly 200 schools.

In DCup they wait till the start of the Inter-zone round where there are only 24 schools taking part...also they depend a lot on the zone chairmen and also for reports or complaints from other schools.

But there are always gaps, look at what happened with Central High who had boys running out of age group for three seasons straight?

ISSA also depends a lot on the integrity of their members, remember now ISSA is a group of principals who are expected to behave in a manner befitting their positions.
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

"ISSA also depends a lot on the integrity of their members, remember now ISSA is a group of principals who are expected to behave in a manner befitting their positions."

That is where you will find the man power to check for correct entries, the principals. They MUST find the time to proof read the entries so that if any bangarang take place they can dodge the bullet or better yet, avoid any embarrising situations. Hereat thisschool where I work, the principal check every god almighty thing before he signs his name to anything. After that he gives it to his secretary who checks it before making a copy and thenfiled it away. Dem no miss nothing. First time I saw this I said to myself 'backside! da man yah naw joke' Can you imagin me comming out of the Jamaican system and run up inna this. You know what, mi glad seh ah so him do things, trust me.

Comment

Sickko (11/15/2006)ISSA also depends a lot on the integrity of their members, remember now ISSA is a group of principals who are expected to behave in a manner befitting their positions.
                      After I read the comments ofPrincipal, Hopeton Henry, Pres. of the JTA yesterday I get the feeling thatsome of them lacking in behavior:P
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

<DIV>Cheating?! </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>You see, that is the problem. Many people and schools do not see it as cheating. Heaven knows, Tilla and I have had this conversation for years now. He would say that STETHS was giving the players an opportunity, citing success stories from time to time, while I maintained that it was straight up cheating! Then, I would be told is because Munro nuh win D-Cup since how long now?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Munro has certain standards, and even while relaxed as sickko will remind us, will always be much higher than most schools out there. Winning the daCosta Cup is great but not at any cost!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What if he only passed two CXC subjects why not give him a chance to pass another 1 or 2, not all of us are bright. I say if he is young then let him go play manning cup.
                          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

If graduated 5th form atschool A and went to school b, would he be barred from playing for school b for 1 year?

Comment

The fact that he was in his 3rd attempt at Fifth form, indicates to me, that no-one at the school gives a hoot about his education. His primary role is that of adding-value to the football team (my opinion)
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X