X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asafa Powell calls for lifetime bans for doping

Jamaican athlete Asafa Powell calls for lifetime bans for doping

font size ZoomIn ZoomOut

Visiting Jamaican 100-meters record holder Asafa Powell told Thursday's media in Brazilian city Rio de Janeiro he thought that athletes caught taking drugs should be expelled from their discipline for life.

"The punishments are not yet as harsh as they should be. Athletes who take dope should be excluded from sport for good. There should not be a second chance," Power told Brazilian sports daily Lance, in response to a question about an eight-year ban imposed on U.S. athlete Justin Gatlin, by the International Amateur Athletics Federation.

Athletes like Galin "steal from the runners who are clean and work hard for competitions," Powell said.

In the same interview, Powell said his main goal now is beating his 9.77 seconds record for the 100 meters.

"I can run the 100 meters in much less time and I am working hard to achieve it. I am sure that I will one day run a 100 meters in 9.68 seconds. Everything depends on the track, the wind and the temperature."

He added he would like to take part in the Pan-American Games in Rio de Janeiro, but that it all depended on his schedule for next year.

Source: Xinhua
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

RE: Asafa Powell calls for lifetime bans for doping

I wish he wouldn't talk like this. Is it possible for him to inadvertently take some banned substance in some medication or supplement? What then? I know that's the excuse the all come up with, but it is certainly possible.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X