• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bomber" to Come out of Retirement

Star

'Bomber' considers Reggae Boyz return <DIV class=KonaBody>

By GORDON WILLIAMS, Contributor

<SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Andy </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Williams</SPAN> - file

Former captain Andy 'Bomber' Williams is willing to return from international football retirement if called on to help the struggling Reggae Boyz by the new national coach...and if other conditions are met.

According to the man nicknamed "Bomber" for his thunderous shots, and who last represented Jamaica in the 2005 Gold Cup in the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: blue 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">United </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: blue 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">States</SPAN>, he misses international competition and continues to have a desire to play for his country, despite his frustrating departure from the game's top level and especially after viewing the recent dismal showings by the Boyz.

"I remember watching the England-Jamaica game (in June at <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Old </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Trafford</SPAN>)," said the 28-year-old, who currently plays for Real Salt Lake in U.S. Major League Soccer (MLS), on Monday. "Who wouldn't want to play against England? Imagine if we had the best players for that game?"

The Boyz slumped to a 6-0 defeat to England just days after crashing to a 4-0 loss to Ghana, another World Cup-bound team. If available, Williams would certainly count among any "best" group of Jamaican players today. He again proved his quality last Saturday - underlining what Jamaica has been mi

RE: "Bomber" to Come out of Retirement

ANDY WILLIAMS making demands asaprerequisite tohis return to the fold. Nice knowing you ANDY

Comment

Andy is a class act, and was diplomatic on his views of the coaching staff. We all know Downswell lacked the basic foundamental skills to succeed at the international level.

When it comes to the JFF, the truth is the truth!
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Andy's move of retiring from international football is tantamount to cutting off his nose to spite his face. With that move he took himself out of the shop window of clubs looking players. Missing the England game hurt him more than anything else. That move more or less resigned him to continue his playing career in the MLS.

He also hurt himself as other coaches may look at the situation with him and say he is a player who does not respect authority. I know it is hard, but when you are given a boss to work with, it is your duty to get the job done with that boss.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Andy had a choice and he decided he it is better to go home than to be a rebel.

Part of the problem is JFF has not been meeting their financial commitment to some of the players and a lot of unorganize stuff
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I do not think it was a choice between quitting the national team and being a rebel. Sometimes you have to put up with things you do not like to achieve your long term goals. Andy's quitting of the national team was a CEM (or career ending move). Maybe even a halfdecent show from him against England could have seen him landing a contract with a D! side and start reap some of the big bucks he needs to earn at this point of his career. Remember Andy has to maximize his taking from the game at this time. A dog of his age is no longer a pup.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Andy was there and he know exactly why.

You see how them treat Shavar? Marshall said he thought about retiring too. Did they take Marshall to England?

I don't think Andy is interested in anything but a good move to maybe a championship side. At this stage of his career and life I don't think he would root up his family for nothing but a good money.

I don't see him making the move Hue did but he is contracted to the MLS and they don't let their players go for little or nothing
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Tilla (8/16/2006)I do not think it was a choice between quitting the national team and being a rebel. Sometimes you have to put up with things you do not like to achieve your long term goals. Andy's quitting of the national team was a CEM (or career ending move). Maybe even a halfdecent show from him against England could have seen him landing a contract with a D! side and start reap some of the big bucks he needs to earn at this point of his career. Remember Andy has to maximize his taking from the game at this time. A dog of his age is no longer a pup.
                All the more reason to respect Andy. He stated clearly when he left that the organisation was taking Jamaica "nowhere".

He wanted a professionally managed outfit. He has remained consistent. He pointed out that he would have loved to play against England. ...and, in his very next comment restated his position - 'needed a perofessional approach to get him out of retirement'.Principled stance...will not contenance 'foolishness'.

He hurts...but, he is sorry/'feels it'for the youngsters and the country.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I was mentioning a Championship side when I typed D1. I am still caught in the old system of naming the teams.

Andy has spent too long in the MLS to be only earning 95K per year. He would make much more in the Championship if he had a chance to do so.

Anyway, ongle Andy knows what side of his bread is buttered. . .

Sass, I thought Marshall was not called to the side because his team did not want to release him as the game conflicted with his team's schedule? Remember Hue only got released for the England game and not the Ghana as Wizards were playing on those dates. Hue only got released at the last minute as he was not going to factor into his MLS team game that weekend.

Unuh man can tun things mek them sound bad bwoy. Talk bout when uhuh waan fight STETHS man.

Comment

Did I indicate that I did not respect the man? All I am saying is that he may have hurt his career with his going into retirement as it robbed him of some well needed exposure. Sure I respect the man, but when all is said and done, he needs to try and maximize his earning while he is still young.

Comment

Andy has to look after his own best interests, and it is doubtful at this stage in his career he would join another team in England for another tryout.

When you have a federation that provided three (3) towels for an entire squad, and reportedly owes players $$$, transports a team 30 minutes to a stadium before kickoff, then it is clear to everyone that the JFF is run by a disorganized group.
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Tilla the fact is if they wanted Tyrone they could have gotten him the same way they got Hue.

Tyrone was not seen as that important.

Andy in the MLS too long but now he is rooted and it maybe hard for him to go anywhere else.

He also seems to play his best ball when he is comfortable.

Comment

Cant blame Andy, I am fan and if I was a player I proably would not deal with it. " he is saying the program is poorly run and I cant see evidence of that to be otherwise)

Comment

Andy is in the same situation as Dwyane Derosario the Canadian captain. Two season ago he went on The Euro trial circuit after the mls season. While his services was required he could not get a multi-year contract. For example Blackburn would say play with us to the end of the season and we will see for next year. Well when your are 27 or 28 with a wife kids and mortage you cant risk a steady MLS income (regardless of how small) the same way you would if your were 24 and no obligation.

Comment

Tilla dont join the mosiah and sickko club...

Comment

Working...
                              X