Brown back at the helm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown back at the helm

<P class=StoryText align=justify>Former technical director Carl Brown was yesterday unveiled by the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) as the new interim head coach of the national senior team, as was first reported in last Wednesday's edition of the Daily Observer.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"National football is something that I am committed to and I will always answer the call as long as the powers that be believe that I can offer some assistance to the national programme," Brown declared yesterday.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I would never turn down the national programme," insisted the former Jamaica skipper, who was being appointed national coach for the fifth time.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Brown, 56, took up his appointment yesterday and his tenure will run for three months through November 16, 2006. By that time the JFF hopes to have inked a deal with an international coach.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"... The Jamaica Football Federation is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr Carl Brown as interim head coach of the national senior team," confirmed Crenston Boxhill, president of the local governing body at a hastily arranged press briefing at the JFF's head offices yesterday.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"The Federation welcomes Carl back into the national programme and appreciates his well-known love for Jamaican football and his willingness to make his contribution whenever it is requested," Boxhill added.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Back to Africa 2010<P class=StoryText align=justify>The JFF boss was however quick to explain that Brown's appointment was a matter of expediency, as the JFF is yet to finalise negotiations with "an internationally experienced coach to propel our 'Back to Africa 2010' World Cup campaign", and the JFF has "important international commitments that are critical to our preparations for that campaign".<P class=StoryText align=justify>The Reggae Boyz are slated to play Canada in a two-game friendly series on September 4 away and October 8 at home, as well as Peru on November 15 at home.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Jamaica will also play the first round of the Digicel Caribbean Cup here, beginning on September 27.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Former head coach Wendell Downswell resigned last Tuesday, less than two years after being appointed head coach of the national senior team.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Yesterday, Boxhill explained that under his administration, teams have "consistently fulfilled and participated in all FIFA tournaments and competitions, bar none", and that it had taken a toll on the financial resources of the organisation.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The JFF boss added: "The Federation will only be able to contract the services of an international coach when we are confident that the resources are not only available, but reliably so.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Discussions are continuing. We remain positive and confident that they will succeed... before November 16. But please understand we are talking about commitment and reliability and a professional relationship," he pleaded.
    national programme<P class=StoryText align=justify>"We welcome Carl into the fold. We know we'll get the very best from him and that can only benefit the national programme," he said.

Meanwhile, Brown, who was sacked following an emergency meeting of the JFF executive days after Jamaica ended their Germany 2006 World Cup campaign with a 1-1 draw against the United States in Ohio in 2004, told the media he plans to pull the curtains on his international coaching career.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I really want to end it this year. I was deciding to make an announcement that this year would be the final one that I would make myself available for national duties," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"It is 23 years as a national coach that I have participated, plus 10 years as a national player between 1970 and 1980 and I believe right now that
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Brown back at the helm

This must be a merry go round. Isn't this where we started out when Boxhill took over?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

it is a guh 'round fi true but ain't nutten merry 'bout it!!!!:crying:

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Brown a fi we Evander Holyfield now. How many him a go come back?

should commend Boxhill for not missing any FIFA tournaments?

How much money the JFF owe?

Seems kinda strange how Brown a try fi get back players without what seems to be JFF approval, how that work?

Did King reply to the JFF?

Good luck to you Carl Brown
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Brown's last hurrah...Coach says he'll retire from national duties in December<DIV class=KonaBody>

file - Carl Brown

By LeVaughn Flynn, Staff Reporter

Newly named interim head coach of the national senior football team, Carl Brown, yesterday began his final spell in that position. Considered Jamaica's best local coach, Brown was appointed for a three-month period (until November 16) by the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF).

This is Brown's fifth appointment as head coach and he made it clear that this will be his final run.

"I've spent 23 years as a national coach and 10 years as a national player between 1970 and 1980 and I believe the time has come for me to pay some attention to other things." said Brown at a press conference at the JFF's office yesterday.

"This year will be the final year I will make myself available for international duties," he continued. "This is the fifth time I have been appointed national coach and I've never ever turned it down.

"It' a situation where once you are asked you take it. I've never questioned myself about taking. It's a commitment I've made to national football and something I want to do and it's not difficult when asked to participate in the national programme."

Brown's previous stints were between 1983-86, 1990-93, 1994-99 and 2001-04. JFF President Crenston Boxhill said he was glad to have Brown back.

willingness

"The JFF welcomes Carl back into the national programme and really appreciates his well-known love for football and his willingness to make his contribution whenever it is requested." Boxhill stated.

Brown admitted that his appointment has resulted in changes to his life.

"I've had to be breaking some commitments I've made to other things in particular with Boys' Town." he said.

reluctant

"Boys' Town right now is up and running and the youngsters are back out. We are participating in youth football for the first time in seven years and if there's a difficulty to move away from anything for the national programme - is having to move away from what exists now at Boys' Town," said Brown who serves as the chief executive officer of the vocational institution.

"The good thing is that the supporters, although reluctant, understand that once the national duties come around I usually go."

Brown also said he has spoken with outgoing Technical Director Wendell Downswell since his resignation and that he sympathises with him.

"I told him recently I don't think he has anybody in a position to understand him better than I do and I'm really in deep sympathy with him with what happened over the last couple of games." Brown said in reference to the heavy losses to <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Australia</SPAN>, Ghana and England.

Brown said his first objective is to start winning games as he has three upcoming friendlies - Canada on September 4 and October 8 and Peru on November 15 - as well as the start of Digicel Caribbean Cup on September 27, of which Jamaica are reigning champions

"What the public is asking for right now is to start to win some games. We have to get a good result against Canada and Peru and reach th
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

....and, what a pre-ke iffen come Decemba JFF cyan name nuh replacement coac:w00t:h?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
            X