Wakeland Centre row settled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wakeland Centre row settled

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Wakeland Centre row settled</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>PAUL A REID, Observer West writer
    Thursday, August 17, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=355 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>a sigh of relief. Village United looks set to secure a long-term lease for the Elliston Wakeland Centre</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>National Premier League club, Village United, looks set to secure a long-term lease for the Elliston Wakeland Centre in Falmouth, with a renewed proposal to guarantee access to the general community.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The renewed proposal is being drafted at the request of the Trelawny Parish Council, which met the club last Thursday in a bid to address its frustrations at being twice turned down for the lease it has been trying to acquire, in an effort to secure funding to develop the centre into a modern and viable stadium.<P class=StoryText align=justify>This failure triggered threats by Village to leave Trelawny, as its multi-million dollar development plan couldn't progress without the security of tenure the lease would afford.<P class=StoryText align=justify>According to Village's president, Steve Bennett, the club has secured commitments for the full cost of the development work, which will include the upgrading of the main field, building of a second one, adding another 4,000 seats, building of a clubhouse and improving the drainage of the entire property.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Falmouth's mayor Jonathan Bartlett told the Observer West that the hold-up was caused by "misinformation and miscommunication", but reported that the meeting was "positive" and they were now looking for positive developments.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Said Bennett: "We had a meeting of the minds and the Trelawny Parish Council got a better appreciation of what we were asking for. We had always agreed that in the best interest of the entire community that no single entity could have control of the venue, but we see this move as a win-win for all concerned."<P class=StoryText align=justify>In an unequivocal endorsement of Bennett's view, Mayor Bartlett reiterated the importance of the access issue. "We discussed it and came to an agreement that Elliston Wakeland can't be given to the group like that without consideration of the general public." The mayor agreed that if all the conditions for the use of the centre were agreed on, "then it would be a big step in the right direction".<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said he really wanted the agreement to work as at the beginning he had advised the Village management to get the public involved in the discussions. "I was waiting on them to tell me how they intended to get the public involved," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said he really wanted the agreement to work as at the beginning he had advised the Village management to get the public involved in the discussions. "I was waiting on them to tell me how they intended to get the public involved," he said.

RE: Wakeland Centre row settled

OJ (8/17/2006)<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Wakeland Centre row settled</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>PAUL A REID, Observer West writer
    Thursday, August 17, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=355 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>a sigh of relief. Village United looks set to secure a long-term lease for the Elliston Wakeland Centre</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>National Premier League club, Village United, looks set to secure a long-term lease for the Elliston Wakeland Centre in Falmouth, with a renewed proposal to guarantee access to the general community.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The renewed proposal is being drafted at the request of the Trelawny Parish Council, which met the club last Thursday in a bid to address its frustrations at being twice turned down for the lease it has been trying to acquire, in an effort to secure funding to develop the centre into a modern and viable stadium.<P class=StoryText align=justify>This failure triggered threats by Village to leave Trelawny, as its multi-million dollar development plan couldn't progress without the security of tenure the lease would afford.<P class=StoryText align=justify>According to Village's president, Steve Bennett, the club has secured commitments for the full cost of the development work, which will include the upgrading of the main field, building of a second one, adding another 4,000 seats, building of a clubhouse and improving the drainage of the entire property.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Falmouth's mayor Jonathan Bartlett told the Observer West that the hold-up was caused by "misinformation and miscommunication", but reported that the meeting was "positive" and they were now looking for positive developments.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Said Bennett: "We had a meeting of the minds and the Trelawny Parish Council got a better appreciation of what we were asking for. We had always agreed that in the best interest of the entire community that no single entity could have control of the venue, but we see this move as a win-win for all concerned."<P class=StoryText align=justify>In an unequivocal endorsement of Bennett's view, Mayor Bartlett reiterated the importance of the access issue. "We discussed it and came to an agreement that Elliston Wakeland can't be given to the group like that without consideration of the general public." The mayor agreed that if all the conditions for the use of the centre were agreed on, "then it would be a big step in the right direction".<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said he really wanted the agreement to work as at the beginning he had advised the Village management to get the public involved in the discussions. "I was waiting on them to tell me how they intended to get the public involved," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said he really wanted the agreement to work as at the beginning he had advised the Village management to get the public involved in the discussions. "I was waiting on them to tell me how they intended to get the public involved," he said.
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>I have put sections of the report in italics and others in bold type - because it underlines &amp; underscoresmy contention that Village will never be...cannot receive the Center to manage as Village would like. <P class=StoryText align=justify>Let us assume...the article suggests we should not...but, let us assume that the Mayor entered intoa contract with Village that gave Village the limited access Village is proposing...the Mayor does not d
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

You said the people running the clup was incompetent thus there inability to secure the deal. Did you not say that? Now they have you change the story. A one love still thats why you are special around here.

Comment

OJ (8/17/2006)You said the people running the clup was incompetent thus there inability to secure the deal. Did you not say that? Now they have you change the story. A one love still thats why you are special around here.
        No I never said that!

I said they were incompetent in not securing a permanent field for Village during all those years! Completely different thing from what you are saying - Namely inability to secure a deal (with the Parish Council and whatever other authorities that may be necessay) for the Wakeland arena.

In fact, specific to the possibility of a deal ever being brokered, I said,

"Suretomorrow Village could be given the property? ...but, decades of fighting for it and no alternative plans put into action? Good managers?

Posted 8/12/2006 11:47:00 PM
        ...I also went further and implied and said in different posts that after so many years it was incompetence to take over a field which one will never have complete control.

The only 'out' I see for the present managers is - a) cries of 'all those previous years we were not here' a 'a neva fi-wi fault'...

...and,

b) 'the current arrangements are temporary. We are working on acquiring a permanent home/Village owned premises in and or around Falmouth'.

Moving Village out of Falmouth (in and around Falmouth) should have nothing to do with 'Village owned premises', other factors may force that move...but, it should never be merely about owning or having access tosome lands.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Well good luck to them .. its a good start.

Comment

OJ (8/17/2006)Well good luck to them .. its a good start.
            I join you in wishing the managers and Village the best! May the organisation move from strength to strength!

Comment

Working...
            X