Glenmuir are D'Cup champs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenmuir are D'Cup champs

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Glenmuir are D'Cup champs</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline>May Pen school stops Frome on penalties</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer
    Sunday, December 03, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>MONTEGO BAY, St James - Glenmuir High pulled off an upset yesterday, beating red-hot favourites Frome Technical High in the rural area daCosta Cup schoolboy final at Jarrett Park, winning 3-2 on penalties.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The Patrick 'Jackie' Walters-coached Glenmuir rallied from a one-goal deficit in the first half to draw 1-1 after regulation and extra-time before winning in an exciting shoot-out.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=330 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Frome's Delano Rankine (left) comes under pressure from Glenmuir's Kashmar Briscoe during the daCosta Cup schoolboy final at Jarrett Park yesterday. Glenmuir won 3-2 on penalties. (Photo: Paul Reid) </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>This is the second time in two seasons that Glenmuir were defeating their opponents for the title, following their 2-0 triumph two years ago at the same venue.
    Skipper James Thomas - who scored the equaliser in regulation time - Marvin Boothe and Nevon Brown, who got the deciding kick, scored for Glenmuir.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Frome, who beat Clarendon College on penalties to win the Ben Francis KO title earlier in the season, got goals from Obrian Woodbine and Odaine Ottey.
    Goalkeeper Shamar Mullings, who saved two kicks and scored in the shoot-out against Clarendon, declined to take a kick this time around, Frome coach Boysie Nicholson told reporters after the game.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Two well-taken goals had kept the massive crowd on the edges of their seats for the majority of open play yesterday. Rohan Watson gave Frome the lead after 17 minutes, but Glenmuir's captain Thomas pulled his team level after 57 minutes.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Thomas' participation was in doubt up to Thursday as he was part of the national Under-20 team to play Trinidad in a crucial CONCACAF play-off today, but he was dropped.
    After the game Nicholson blamed himself for not practising penalties, but as he said in a pre-game interview, he did not plan for the game to go that far.
    Nicholson said poor finishing let them down as they created enough chances to have won the game inside regulation time.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Walters said his team dropped back in defence in the second half of the game as they thought they would have a better chance in the penalty shoot-out.
    He admitted that they had some luck and if Frome had taken their chances they would not have had any chance of coming back into the game.
    "Football is not about the number of chances you get; it's what you do with them is the critical point," Walters emphasised.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The big crowd was kept waiting as the officials turned up late after suffering mechanical problems on their way to the venue, but the game lived up to its pre-game hype with outstanding football from two well-prepared teams.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Playing to Nicholson's strategy, Frome dominated the first half and should have led by at least three goals but for a number of missed chances.<P class=StoryText align=justify>After being pushed onto the backfoot for most of the second half, Frome hit back strongly to dominate the second period of extra time, but had nothing to show for it.
    Woodbine, who had a good game, should have given his team the lead after 11 minutes when he caught the Glenmuir team napping and with only goalkeeper Kristopher Lewis to beat, allowed the latter to
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Glenmuir are D'Cup champs

Trust me Frome really dash way this one, even Jackie Walters said afterwards they were very lucky not to be down 3-0 at half time and they would never be able to dig their way out of that one.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

The world is really turned on its head. Juesus soon come again. When Glenmuir does so well, with regularity, I can only remeber the good old days when they used to pick up 8 and 10 love. I guess I am becoming a dinosaur to rahtid.
      "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Westman (12/3/2006)The world is really turned on its head. Juesus soon come again. When Glenmuir does so well, with regularity, I can only remeber the good old days when they used to pick up 8 and 10 love. I guess I am becoming a dinosaur to rahtid.
        Annuh dat. Mek me open yuh eyes. Glenmuir HScan also becalled Glenmuir FC. You get the drift?

Comment

Working...
        X