• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Becca - Don't do it - at least not with the people's money

FROM THE BOUNDARY: Don't do it - at least not with the people's money
    published: Friday | August 18, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Tony Becca

IN MANY respects, sport and Jamaica goes hand in hand, and for the simple reason that Jamaicans love sport, that Jamaicans are gifted in sport and that Jamaicans have excelled in almost every sport.

In football, for example, Jamaica has been to the World Cup; in cricket, Jamaica has produced some of the greatest players the world has ever seen; in boxing, Jamaica has produced a number of world champions; in netball, Jamaica has been among the best; and in track and field, Jamaica has produced gold medal winners at both the Olympic Games and the World Championships.

So good, so brilliant has this little rock been that in a sport like bobsled, a sport usually reserved for cold countries and their snow, Jamaica has also made waves.

As much as Jamaicans love sport, however, as gifted as Jamaicans may be, and as successful as Jamaica has been, there comes a time when one has to sit back, take a look around, and decide what, in terms of money, this country can afford in an effort, not only to continue enjoying those successes, but to enjoy new ones, and based on what is happening in football, the time has come to take stock.

Ever since the World Cup, Jamaicans have been talking about Jamaica getting back to the World Cup.

The talk has centred around bringing in a foreign coach and based on the history of Jamaica's football, the level of skill available, and the dreams and ambitions of the Jamaican, or rather some of the Jamaican people, nothing is wrong with that.

Public purse

The cost, however, is what is wrong with it, for the simple reason that this country cannot afford it - certainly not from the public purse.

According to what is going the rounds, a good coach, a good foreign coach, will cost about $130 million a year or $520 million for four years, and although Jamaica could probably get one for $65 million a year or $260 million for four years, a really good one will cost about $260 million a year or more than $1 billion for four years.

When one remembers that the minimum wage in this country is $145,600 per year, that nurses, teachers, police and junior doctors are underpaid and are crying out for more money, that some schools in this country do not have some basic necessities, that poor people walk the land every day, that the hospitals are not what they used to be or what they should be, that medication generally is out of the reach of so many people, and that water is like gold to some people in this country, it is difficult to support a football coach, or any other coach, being paid that kind of money by the Government of this country.

Recreational facilities

As much as we love to cheer our champions, the responsibility, the obligation of the government, of any government like Jamaica's, is to provide facilities for the schools and the youth clubs, to provide recreational facilities for all its people and to ensure that the environment is such that those with the talent and the ability, those who wish to move from recreation to competition, at the highest level at that, can do so.

It is not the government's responsibility to fund professional sport, and this government cannot afford to do so.

Unless a sport is an industry, it is the responsibility of a sport to sell itself and unless football becomes an industry where, for example, players are exported and the country can earn from it, the funding of it, World Cup or no World Cup, must be done by the members of its fraternity, by the people who pay to see the players in action, if they can benefit from it commercially, by t
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Tony Becca - Don't do it - at least not with the people's money

Dis yah bredda can write!

Excellent article!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl (8/18/2006)Dis yah bredda can write!

Excellent article!
      Do you agree with his sentiments?

Comment

balla (8/18/2006)
        Karl (8/18/2006)Dis yah bredda can write!

Excellent article!
        Do you agree with his sentiments?
        No!

He leaves himself an out...

It is not the government's responsibility to fund professional sport, and this government cannot afford to do so.

Unless a sport is an industry, it is the responsibility of a sport to sell itself and unless football becomes an industry where, for example, players are exported and the country can earn from it, the funding of it, World Cup or no World Cup, must be done by the members of its fraternity, by the people who pay to see the players in action, if they can benefit from it commercially, by the private sector and certainly by television rights.
        ...although he shows;

(a) he has not facts to support his contention that it is not worth the government's while to invest in a coach...

(b) he is out of wack in suggesting in a 'back-handed way' it is not the duty of all economic and philanthropic activities/enterprises to 'sell selves'.

-----------

...and, he might have overlooked the fact that football engages tremendous attention &amp; energy ofJamaica's population and multiple-millions of dollars are expended/circulated each season inJamaica's economy?

NB: Did I see - (Kindly correct the figures for me) - that it is possible that the NPL clubs spend a combined 180 million dollars each season?

...and, I would suggest that monies spent on getting to and from matches, consumption of food &amp; breverages - during the periodtravelling - to and from matches - and viewing matches, transportation costs, purchase of merchandise, equipment and apparel used by those involved in the game - do not leave out equipment to prepare fields, etc. - and, other 'trickle-down' effects/activities/consumption, etc, runs into the multiple billions of dollars.

As HL is often wont to say -Football is a business! ...and, for the country it is definitelybig business.The government would be a joke entity if it did not push for making 'the football business' an even bigger entity. Hiring a coach who will speed the process along is good business - both for the economy and political milage.

Hey..it is the JFFto supply the figures - number of active players - serious &amp; recreation, other persons in spin-off fields, money in circulation directly related and in allied fields. Number of players gaining...have gained professional assignments outside of the island, numbers gainfully employed within the island...etc, etc.

I have asked the JFF for some of the figures from God knows how long...and, have asked some individual Parish FA heads &amp; some clubs for facts and figures and I have not received a reply from even one of the sources.

I have to assume they have not a clue! Not even a simple thing as how many schools &amp; the student populationsare in the parish can be/was answered?

Comment

He has some valid points. Hower, I wonder if soccer is a net earner of foreign exchange?

Do we knowhow much money is sent back from players with overseas contracts?

Do we knowhow much money is generated from Vistors, TV rights, FIFA Grants etc?
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

I have to agree with Becca that Government should not be footing the bill for an expensive football coach when people are there suffering. There are schools to be fixed, roads to be built, hospitals in dire need of repair as well as nurses, teachers and doctors underpaid.

There is no doubt that football is an industry which can generate many jobs and make a lot of money. Government however has to prioritize and decide what services are they going to cut to provide our scarce monetary resources to get a foreign coach to come to Jamaica? If Government decides to spend millions on a coach to give the few of us a good feel when our team plays instead in providing some of the basic nessities for our people, then I say that government has misplaced priorities!

Government can find creative ways to make private sector companies foot that coaching bill by giving the companies a bigger tax break for their efforts. Government can also seek a bilateral agreement with countries who can provide us with a coach and pay his salary. For example, we could seek such from Brazil, but we may then need to get a coach from that country.

The way I see it, it is like the man who live in a rented apartment but has a Rolls Royce parked up front. People should get their priorities in order and so too must government. I would love to see our team get a good TD, but not at the expense of robbing the people of services we take for granted in the developed countries.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Long--long before Tony Becca's commentary, our own forum BaddaZ got it right. And I immediately agreed with him.

Baddaz said maybe 2-3 years ago: that he would rather see Jamaica spend money on education that on football...

<U>Tony Becca's piece is right on target</U>.

You see, part good decision making is based on priorities.The Jamaican government is notorios in making poor decisions.

If you don't believe me about poor decision making and the Jamaican government,...juss ax Balla.
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

If Government decides to spend millions on a coach to give the few of us a good feel when our team plays instead in providing some of the basic nessities for our people, then I say that government has misplaced priorities!

Tilla you are widew off the mark here its not a few of us that gets a feel good factor its THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. You should have seen the scences in Jamaica when we quqlified for France , the entire country erupted after that Mexico match ppl lined the streets right through out the country.

We wi have debates EVERYTIME a project is being embarked on, we had it for EMMANCIPATION PARK, THE CRICKET STADIUM IN TRELAWNY, THE MONEY BEING SPENT ON WORLD CUP CRICKET its something you wont get away from inany countrylike ours.

The Government has not made a statement about putting money into this venture or how much they will put and where they will get it from so like Becca you all are jumping the gun.

I get it from your post that you think a top class TD is needed and you wil no doubt agree that one wont come cheap , you also think the Government should find creative ways of sourcing this funding ,dont you think that the same criticism you make here could be made against the Government finding creative means of funding football at the expense of finding it to pay the Nurses , teachers , police etc and to provide basic needs of the people?

Its the classic case of no win, damned if you do damned if you dont.

Comment

balla (8/19/2006)If Government decides to spend millions on a coach to give the few of us a good feel when our team plays instead in providing some of the basic nessities for our people, then I say that government has misplaced priorities!

Tilla you are widew off the mark here its not a few of us that gets a feel good factor its THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. You should have seen the scences in Jamaica when we quqlified for France , the entire country erupted after that Mexico match ppl lined the streets right through out the country.

We wi have debates EVERYTIME a project is being embarked on, we had it for EMMANCIPATION PARK, THE CRICKET STADIUM IN TRELAWNY, THE MONEY BEING SPENT ON WORLD CUP CRICKET its something you wont get away from inany countrylike ours.

The Government has not made a statement about putting money into this venture or how much they will put and where they will get it from so like Becca you all are jumping the gun.

I get it from your post that you think a top class TD is needed and you wil no doubt agree that one wont come cheap , you also think the Government should find creative ways of sourcing this funding ,dont you think that the same criticism you make here could be made against the Government finding creative means of funding football at the expense of finding it to pay the Nurses , teachers , police etc and to provide basic needs of the people?

I think to limit this discussion is justa political meeting 'confuse and mislead' emotional hype. The issue is not about 'feeling good' for 'feel good' sake.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with jumping the gun on this one. I believe it is important to make sure that the government does not go there. Like Tilla said, we need to get our priorities in order. I really liked his anology about the rented house with the Rolls parked outside. This is not about the present ruling party. If the other party were in power the need to make these same points would be the same.

Balla, I know you can reason better. Just because everybody gets a great feeling from our football successes does not mean we should ever consider spending this amount of govt funds for a football coach when wehave so many other priorities. If that was the goal, Balla, then narcotics give a great feeling too. But guess what, narcotics should not be purchased because they get us hooked on something that lets us spiral out of control when we have so many other things in our lives that need attention...not to mention our health. BY the way, Jamaica's fiscal health is our priority, as much as we love football.

Respek.
                    "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

balla (8/19/2006)I get it from your post that you think a top class TD is needed and you wil no doubt agree that one wont come cheap , you also think the Government should find creative ways of sourcing this funding ,dont you think that the same criticism you make here could be made against the Government finding creative means of funding football at the expense of finding it to pay the Nurses , teachers , police etc and to provide basic needs of the people?

Balla, you seem to have missed the gist of my post. It is about prioritizing or making the decision of what order should government decide to spend the countries money on services it provides. That said, I guess you realize that paying for a coach for the national football team is not on the list of services we (can I include myself here?) elected the to do.

If government does not have to cut anything to come up with this money to pay a coach, I say by all means. If it means that we may have to close the all-age school in Rat Trap, Westmoreland so we can have a coach, then I say hell no!!

Poor people canot take the suffering any more. They should not be forced to "band their bellies" and cheer our national team in a football game, then go to bed hungry after the match. After all is said and done, football is only a game. Government has to put people first!
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

This is not about the present ruling party. If the other party were in power the need to make these same points would be the same.

Balla, I know you can reason better. Just because everybody gets a great feeling from our football successes does not mean we should ever consider spending this amount of govt funds for a football coach when wehave so many other priorities.

westman I know you can COMPREHEND better than you just did, I am not making thepoint that because everybody get a great feeling from it ...... I am simple correcting Tilla's view that only a FEW get a good feeling from it - comprehendo?

Secondly you are the one making this a party issue by bringing that factor in theequation - i made no mention of party but I guess its easy to think my views are ALWAYS along party lines (Which is VERY INCORRECT)

Comment

Balla, you seem to have missed the gist of my post. It is about prioritizing or making the decision of what order should government decide to spend the countries money on services it provides. That said, I guess you realize that paying for a coach for the national football team is not on the list of services we (can I include myself here?) elected the to do.

Tilla I missed nothing about your post, re read my response again and then respond to the issues i raise

again we know NOT that the Government will be funding this

2 we dont know where the money will come from , or how much -

Do you know about the Chase fund?

Am I wrong in opining that you wilbe criticise whatever you do as there will always be something just as or more needing - ALWAYS

Comment

This post reminds me of my early years attending political meetings with my father and the discussions he would lead the family in afterwards.

My memory tells me that besides discussion on which party he was supporting and the why, he would point out why points were made in the fashion they were. Truths were thrown in with blatant pandering tothe emotions. Speakers, including my father wouldaddress the crowd before the candidate or other main speaker and whip the crowd into a 'happy (it was happy...feelgood...in those days) frenzy'. It was most often done in a way to get the crowd into 'automatic feel-good party-candidate positiveresponse' to the 'cheer-leader'.

Tilla's post, for me, falls into those 'hype' category.

The truth -There are schools to be fixed, roads to be built, hospitals in dire need of repair as well as nurses, teachers and doctors underpaid.

Weall agree!

-----------

The pandering tothe emotions - Government should not be footing the bill for an expensive football coach when people are there suffering.

It is a fact that the more our people suffer the more should governments invest in ventures that provide return on investment. That ensures there are funds to re-invest in rehabilitating physical structures, build new structures, maintain existing structures and institutions, pay wages, provide goods and services, etc.

Truth- There is no doubt that football is an industry which can generate many jobs and make a lot of money.

We all agree! Thus the reason to invest in the football industry.

-----------------

Truth - Government however has to prioritize

Confuse and Misinform-what services are they going to cut to provide our scarce monetary resources to get a foreign coach to come to Jamaica?

and,

If Government decides to spend millions on a coach to give the few of us a good feel when our team plays instead in providing some of the basic nessities for our people, then I say that government has misplaced priorities!

Aaaah bwoy!!!

Is any government investing to give feel good only? What about social benefits? What about increased taxes, employment, ability to provide more and better services, etc. as the return on the investment grow?

------------

Confuse - Government can find creative ways to make private sector companies foot that coaching bill by giving the companies a bigger tax break for their efforts.

The suggestion is reduce taxes to companies. What it really says either give up sometaxes that would have come in or forego taxes that would have been collected...and, depend on the private firms adhereing to handing out to 'the football industry'.

If the companies agree to fund the coach's salary, what happens ifany of a number of things between the coach and the JFF occurs? Let us look at two only - The JFF fires the coach...or, the coach resigns?

If either of those occur does the company/do thee companies suddenly lose the tax breaks?

...and, the mix of Truth - Government can also seek a bilateral agreement with countries who can provide us with a coach and pay his salary. For example, we could seek such from Brazil, but we may then need to get a coach from that country.

-----------------

Confuse and attempt to mislead-

The way I see it, it is like the man who live in a rented apartment but has a Rolls Royce parked up front.

There is no correlation between making an investment (for profit) and buying for show (waste).

----------------

Truth - People should get their priorities in order and so too must government.

We al

Comment

Part of the problem with your posts Karlus, is that they can be to damn long. Anyway, before I make a run on the road (have important business to take care of), let me say this. I am saying that government should decide on what are its priorities before spending public funds on a coach. Here is an example of misplaced priority. A man is struggling to find money to pay his monthly mortgage, but he finds a way to come up with money to spend US$8000 on a new 60" plasma TV. Is that not misplaced priority? If you see it as is, then it would be the same with government.

I am not saying Government cannot invest in a coach, it is just that there has to be the time and place for it. You cannot be spending on luxury when you are lacking some of the very basics for human existence. Anyway, Jamaican people do this everyday, so it would not be anything new. . .

Comment

Working...
                              X