• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toll road lover - ambience and all

Toll road lover - ambience and all
    published: Friday | August 18, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

THE EDITOR, Sir:

I wish to share my views on the matter of the Portmore Toll road and bridge. I have been a resident of Garveymeade since 1976. During those early years I was able to leave my home between 7 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. in order to arrive in Mona by 8:30 a.m. I was able to accomplish that feat with little difficulty.

As the population grew and the number of vehicles increased, I found that I had to leave my home much earlier. The situation reached the point where I had to be up from 5 a.m., prepare breakfast and leave the house by the latest 6 a.m. There were times when I was late and was trapped by long lines of bumper-to-bumper traffic jams. Things were worse whenever an accident occurred; when that happened virtually everyone had to sleep in their vehicle.

The situation was so horrendous that a one-way out of Portmore was introduced in the mornings between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. and in the evenings between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. While this one-way system was in place, motorists had to use the Mandela Highway if they were not going into the direction of the one-way. Where then is the logic from those who are now saying that the Mandela is not a suitable alternative?

I drove on the new Toll road on Saturday; there was a vast difference in terms of the lowering of congestion due to the tripling of the number of lanes in both directions. The speed limit has been increased to 70km per hour up from 50. There are some other positives; traffic from the Port Henderson Rd. drives on a fly-over, this eliminates the danger of crossing across the flow of vehicles from Kingston, it also eliminates the risk of accidents.

Transformation

Residents of Waterford and Independence City can turn right by the shooting range thereby avoiding the possible congestion on the straight route to the Mall. The Dyke Rd, which was considered a dangerous place due to the number of dead bodies found on it, has been transformed to a smooth surface and a link to the other leg of the highway to Bushy Park.

I am now able to leave my house 30 minutes later, have breakfast at home and arrive in Papine before 7:30 a.m.

Benefits

I urge those who voice resentment at the cost of the toll, and they are entitled tosuch resentment, to consider the following: the time saved, increased fuel efficiency, the absence of potholes, the reduced damage to vehicles and the ambience.

The Rio Cobre enters the sea close by, its colour changes during heavy rain to a golden brown and blends in the sea when there is no rain, hiding in the estuary. Then there are the pelicanssky-divingfor finned food hiding momentarily beneath the sea's surface while the fishermen eke out a living in their motorized canoes. The Blue Mountains are there watching from high above Irish Town and the Hellshire hills beckon you home before the night curtain.

I am, etc.,

C. MCKOY

Box 99

Kingston 7</DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Toll road lover - ambience and all

NEWSMAKER: Yvonne McCormack - Not an easy road for Portmore lobby head
    published: Tuesday | September 5, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Howard Campbell, Gleaner Writer

Yvonne McCormack, chairperson of the Portmore Citizens' Advisory Committee. - Winston Sill/Freelance PHOTOGRAPHER

YESTERDAY, WHEN parents in Portmore prepared their children for the new school term, Yvonne McCormack, strident president of the Portmore Citizens' Advisory Committee (PCAC), steeled herself for another boycott of St. Catherine's controversial toll road.

It's been almost two months since Government declared the six-lane highway open, charging motorists a minimum of $60 to use it. Many residents have welcomed the roughly six-mile strip, saying it makes their commute to Kingston easier.

Others, like Ms. McCormack, refuse to use it saying the fee is too high. The vocal PCAC head has led a boycott of the road since it opened in mid-July, vowing not to yield until there is a reduction in the toll.

This week, with schools reopening, using the highway is expected to add to the financial stress of parents. It will be, Ms. McCormack pointed out, the sternest challenge yet for the toll operators.

"They might have a bumper morning, but not a bumper evening, or a bumper evening, but not a bumper morning. The real test will come between Monday and Wednesday when all the schools should be open," she said.

Construction

The PCAC and government have been at odds for months over the toll road which is the Portmore leg of Highway 2000. It cost US$100 million to construct and replaced the causeway as Portmore's main link to Kingston.

Even before the cost to use the highway was announced, PCAC members clashed with Transport and Works Minister, Robert Pickersgill, over lack of communication and the fee to use the highway.

They were not impressed with figures that call for drivers of motor cars to pay $60, $100 for sports utility vehiclesand $200 for trucks and buses. A minimum fee of $20, they argued, would have been fair.

Through vigils and meetings, the PCAC has encouraged members to use the alternative Mandela Highway. The boycott, Ms. McCormack said, has been effective.

"I know for a fact that there are persons who started out boycotting that toll road, have continued to boycott and vowed to boycott until we get dialogue and a reduction in the toll," she said.

Administrators of the toll road tell a different story, saying returns to date have exceeded their projections.

The toll road stand-off has been by far the biggest issue the PCAC has faced since it formed three years ago. It encompasses 19 organisation throughout Portmore, a massive community of boroughs with over 250,000 residents.

Businesswoman, mother

Ms. McCormack has led the PCAC since January. A business-woman and mother of two children, she was born in Mandeville, Manchester, but has lived in Portmore for 15 years.

While many persons in Portmore have blasted the Government's handling of the toll road affair, Ms. McCormack's organisation also has its critics.

Some of the toll road's most vocal opponents are members of the OppositionJamaicaLabour Party (JLP), prompting talk that the PCAC boycott is politically aligned.

"Because the JLP has had a presence at most of the meetings and the PNP has sought not to attend it looks political, but this is not so," said Ms. McCormack. "All of the political representatives who have attended our meetings are residents of Portmore; some might have agendas, but we don't carry party politics to PCAC meetings."

The Government and the toll road operators are adamant that there will be no rollback of the toll fees. The flood
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

RE: Toll road lover - ambience and all

Bob song comes to mind.

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery...."

No ambition.

Comment

Working...
      X