Powell again 9.77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powell again 9.77

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Powell equals 100m world record </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Powell has been in superb form throughout this year</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Jamaican Asafa Powell equalled the 100m world record of 9.77secs he jointly owns with Justin Gatlin at the Golden League meeting in Zurich on Friday.

Powell, 23, has run the same time twice before, first in Athens in June 2005 and again in Gateshead last month.

"It felt good out there," said Powell, who led from start to finish, with American Tyson Gay finishing second in a personal best of 9.84.

Olympic champion Gatlin also ran 9.77 in Doha on 12 May this year.

But he was subsequently found to have tested positive for testosterone in April, and faces a lifetime ban and the loss of his record run if he is found guilty by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

Powell, meanwhile, is among nine athletes fighting for a share in a US$1m jackpot, having now won all four of his Golden League events.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibStdQuote><DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV id=q1></DIV>One way or another there will come a time when I run under 9.77sec <DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva>Asafa Powell</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

His latest record run came despite an arduous trip from Jamaica, which took three days because of disruptions caused by the alleged terror plot to blow up trans-Atlantic flights from London.

"I couldn't ask for better, I've got nothing to complain about," added Powell.

"I'm the only one who has ever run 9.77 three times. I ran a world record three times. Nobody has done that before.

"One way or another there will come a time when I run under 9.77sec. A world record in Brussels or Berlin? I don't know but anything is possible."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X