England can wait for Dempsey and Beasley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England can wait for Dempsey and Beasley

<H2><H2>England can wait</H2><H1>Despite flirtations, U.S.' Dempsey, Beasley stay put</H1></H2>

When the English Premier League season starts on Saturday there will be a record 12 Americans on Premiership rosters, and yet there were nearly two more in U.S. national-teamers Clint Dempsey and DaMarcus Beasley.

The New England Revolution's Dempsey is deeply disappointed that MLS turned down a transfer offer from Charlton Athletic, which sources say put forward a formal bid worth $1.5 million for the 23-year-old World Cup goal-scorer. Meanwhile, PSV Eindhoven's Beasley told me that he nearly joined "a big team" in the Premiership on loan in the past two weeks before the deal fell through. (He wouldn't specify the club.)

Beasley also said there had been discussions about a possible move to a team in Spain's La Liga or back to MLS right after the World Cup -- Real Salt Lake and New York were potential destinations -- but he no longer expected a transfer this season.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

RE: England can wait for Dempsey and Beasley

I juss get the impression that some folks (here)experienced a weak feeling in the pit of their belly when they read: "...that there is a record 12 AMERICAN footballers in the EPL".
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

It's kind of funny that you said that but somewhere I bet more than just a few Americans get more than weak in their belly, in fact very jealous of Jamaica's drug free athletes! Damn, if steroids is a way of life for Americans then...is there a sport in America that is drug free!?

Comment

Quote: <H3>MLS-Mexican tourney still in plans for '07</H3>

According to MLS sources, negotiations between MLS and the Mexican league are ongoing for a 2007 knockout tournament between teams from the two leagues. The mid-week games would be televised on one of the Univision networks (most likely Telefutura).

Although it is not expected to happen in '07, it's hoped that the tournament winner would eventually earn a berth in the Copa Libertadores, the Western Hemisphere's version of Champions League.

End of quote!

I have been toying with the idea that to give our league a 'kick forward' there must be some way to have Mexican 1st division league teams visit and play our teams often.

We should be playing both Mexican &amp; MLS top teams- home and away - with a smattering of top Brazilian and Europeans teams thrown in for good measure.

There is no doubt that we benefitted from playing those South American and European teams during the "Jackie" Bell era. (I think the matches wereStephen Hill promotions).It cannot be that all our 'eggs' must be in the 'JFF's basket'. Hitching the top clubs progression to national FAs onlydoes not happen anywhere inTOP OF THE WORLD football playing nations...

...and, that is where we are going - TOP OF THE WORLD!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

HL (8/18/2006)I juss get the impression that some folks (here)experienced a weak feeling in the pit of their belly when they read: "...that there is a record 12 AMERICAN footballers in the EPL".
          there is a difference between the words IMPRESSION and GUT FEELING

Comment

Sensi (8/18/2006)It's kind of funny that you said that but somewhere I bet more than just a few Americans get more than weak in their belly, in fact very jealous of Jamaica's drug free athletes!

Drug free like Patrick Jarrett, right?

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
            - Xavi

Comment

Working...
            X