No announcement yet.

Anybody else have a problem with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else have a problem with this?

<DIV id=printReady>

St James High top Malta U-14 crown
    published: Friday | December 15, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody yJQdZ="true">

<B K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">Adrian Frater, News Editor[/B] <P K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">Western Bureau:

<B K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">St. James <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">High </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">School</SPAN> emerged rural champions of the 2006 ISSA/Malta Under-14 <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: orange 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">football</SPAN> competition when goals by Ricardo Morris, Allan Ottey, Jason Malcolm and Daniel Foote carried them to an exciting 4-3 win over Rusea's in Tuesday afternoon's final, which was played at Jarrett Park, in <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Montego </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Bay</SPAN>.[/B] <P K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">"We are delighted because this is what we have been hoping for all season," said Gavin Edmond, a member of the St. James High <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">coaching </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">staff</SPAN>. "[b]We have been training from Sunday to Sunday and we always felt that we had a glorious chance of winning this title.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Anybody else have a problem with this?

School teams should not be practicing 7 days a week. Schools are not responsible for developing footballers.

If it was just a one time thing heading into the Championship match itself I can cut them some slackas I see no problem with it then.- T.K.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

I cant imagine what presure would be on Under 14 footballers to win, the game should still be a learning phase and fun at this age group....

I hope this 'journalist' made up that part because there is no way these kids should eevr be put thropugh seven days a week training, and on SUNDAYS???

The again there are some here who dont see a problem with a 50-odd year old man using profanity to a group of Under 17 players in a summer league.

Imagine your 14 or 15 year old going to play some summer ball and a man older than you decides he needs to use bad words to get a point across or threaten them????
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko (12/15/2006)I cant imagine what presure would be on Under 14 footballers to win, the game should still be a learning phase and fun at this age group....

I hope this 'journalist' made up that part because there is no way these kids should eevr be put thropugh seven days a week training, and on SUNDAYS???

The again there are some here who dont see a problem with a 50-odd year old man using profanity to a group of Under 17 players in a summer league.

Imagine your 14 or 15 year old going to play some summer ball and a man older than you decides he needs to use bad words to get a point across or threaten them????
        Well if you are cursing at 14 and 15 year olds you simply should not be coaching kids period.

I agree about the seven days a week training but I would be a hypocrite if I said I have never done it with my club teams. With the high school team I never did anything like that however and we were one of the best teams in the country. - T.lK.

Comment

<DIV>There are still some who believe that schools are there to develop individuals in whatever way they choose. This is all noble, but if academics are sidelined, then I will have nothing to do with it.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I can bet St. James High...yuh know what, mek mi just end it dere</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (12/15/2006)<DIV>There are still some who believe that schools are there to develop individuals in whatever way they choose. This is all noble, but if academics are sidelined, then I will have nothing to do with it.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I can bet St. James High...yuh know what, mek mi just end it dere</DIV>
            In whatever way they choose? No sah. Their job is to prepare kids for the next step ineducation and that is university. Playing football is tertiary at best. - T.K.

Comment

I just love how Rhodes Scholar Rex Nettleford put it at a recent Cornwall College function, he said in his days at school, Cornwal, did not prepare boys to go find a job to pay bills but they were prepared to make a difference in the world they live in...this was minutes before the other Rhodes Scholar from the same era, now a nuclear physicist, got up to speak.

These men went to Cornwall in the 1950s and were not nerds but took part in many sports and other extra-curicular activities not including choir or glee club. The Nuclear guy played DCup for four years and also ran track.

Dont mek Jawge see this as him seh education was not available to the masses till Manley started the free education thing in the 70s.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Mosiah (12/15/2006)<DIV>There are still some who believe that schools are there to develop individuals in whatever way they choose. This is all noble, but if academics are sidelined, then I will have nothing to do with it.
                </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Don't worry Mo, MdmeX has your back. Academics come first in my book, everything else tek 2nd place. </DIV>
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Sickko (12/15/2006)

Dont mek Jawge see this as him seh education was not available to the masses till Manley started the free education thing in the 70s.
                  And Jawge is right! Esp. when it comes to which school one attended. I know I could never attend a Munro College back in the day. Education opened up to so many more in the 70s. That cannot be disputed.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I know I would not be able to have gone to Cornwall were it not for 'free education' but there were still lots of scholarships that went to poor boys.

Dont foget that Conrwall was founded to give the poor boys a chance to go to school and many did, dont forget the above mentioend Rex Nettleford came out of abject poverty.

At the 110th anniversary dinner we heard many such stories of boys whose parents had very little given the chance when they were spotted by diligent teachers.

For Tilla's sake and others these 'scholarships' were all academic and none were given space in school base don athletic abilities back in those days.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

<DIV>
                      Sickko (12/15/2006)

Dont foget that Conrwall was founded to give the poor boys a chance to go to school and many did, dont forget the above mentioend Rex Nettleford came out of abject poverty.
                      </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Sickko, research our high schools' history and you will see that they were almost all founded to give poor students a chance. Many of them moved away from that and became elitist campuses for whatever reason. Even the UWI was very elitist not so long ago.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

T.K. (12/15/2006)School teams should not be practicing 7 days a week. Schools are not responsible for developing footballers.

If it was just a one time thing heading into the Championship match itself I can cut them some slackas I see no problem with it then.- T.K.
                        You are joking?

Right?

If you are not joking, mayI ask what area of human development the schools should exclude?

...or, should I have asked -In light of the schools' aim of developing the 'whole being' why would you advocate leaving out an appreciation of/for....development of any part of the 'whole being'?
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Sickko (12/15/2006)I cant imagine what presure would be on Under 14 footballers to win, the game should still be a learning phase and fun at this age group....
                          It could be that there was 'training' from Sunday to Sunday and it was still fun!

Just remember that 'training' is not limited to physical activity.

Just remember that 'training' is not limited to physical activity. Example - bonding by going to church as a group and or visiting the sick and or going to the movies...etc, etc...could fit sweetly in a coach making TEAM.In fact, making of TEAM...good TEAM can never be aboutphysical activity only.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Sickko (12/15/2006)I just love how Rhodes Scholar Rex Nettleford put it at a recent Cornwall College function, he said in his days at school, Cornwal, did not prepare boys to go find a job to pay bills but they were prepared to make a difference in the world they live in...this was minutes before the other Rhodes Scholar from the same era, now a nuclear physicist, got up to speak.

These men went to Cornwall in the 1950s and were not nerds but took part in many sports and other extra-curicular activities not including choir or glee club. The Nuclear guy played DCup for four years and also ran track.
                            Good point! Interaction as member of TEAM, contributing as part of 'work-group'/TEAM, development of interpersonal relations, etc, ...and, it underlines the 'teaching' input of learning to play/during the learningof playing games.

Some claim that free education started with Norman Manley's Grant-aid (Half scholarships)&amp; "Common Entrance Examinations" in the 50s.

Comment

Working...
                            X