Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with U16s

Forumites:

Over the last six months or so I have been watching a number of local (T&T) u-16 units play and I have come to the conclusion, after reading the match report of JA's first game in the present U16 tournament, and seeing some of the other "islanders" (including Guyana) vs T&T on TV (the only games I've seen televised are with T&T) that our, as in Caribbean players, cannot play football for ninety minutes.

Mind you I can't even play for nine (ask Exile who is deceptively fit these days, man a score goal like dem going outta style) but the point being is that we, i.e. JA, T&T, Guyana, Grenada etc cannot maintain intensity or a high level of football for the required 90 minutes. This is why I predict that Canada, Mexico and maybe the other central American teams involved in the u16 competition have a better chance of being victorious than say JA does.

Why is this? On a skill level and taking certain given fifteen minute periods brilliant football is being played by Jamaica, T&T and even Guyana, and on a level on par with the "bigger" countries. We fall down when it comes to sustainability.

This is an area of weakness that our coach(es) have to work on. It is disappointing to see teams work brilliantly for half a match and then throw it away because of lack of intensity...and I'm not talking fitness...looks more like the mental aspect of the game is sadly lacking.

PeterR
    Peter R

RE: The problem with U16s

why dont you post on the socawarriors site?? I should post this over on that site .

Comment

Peter R., the pundits on this site will avoid your observation like the pox.

Notice right away you are asked why you nevah postyour viewson the Trini site....?

Just wait, more posts will come telling you that the team is fine.

Couple days agoI commented that the 6- 2 win that jamaica had was good. That the 2 goals scored against Jamaica suggest an underlying problem that the coach should address.

I think you are spot on in guessing fitness especially mental fitness could be a factor.

Last word: the true measure of the Jamaican U-16 teamwill bewhen they compete withCosta Rica, Mexico, USA, El Salvador and Honduras.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

HL,

I believe the coaches are aware of the problem that we face, the trick is to identify causes and to implement fixes.

Years back when Iwent to Canada to university I played on a number of intramural football teams and I was always impressed by the way canadians ran for the full game. Our CSO (Caribbean students) teams were usually filled with talents (not me, I was a professionalbench warmer)that could run rings around our Canadian or other nationality counterparts, as many intramural teams were ethnic/nation-based, but inevitably (not always) our downfall came with the inability to sustain our advantage and level of play. I don't knowif it's because wegrow up playing inver hot weather and maybe conserving energy is something we inherently do... certainly playing in "fall" weather allows you to run a lot harder for longer all else being equal.

I intend to attend as many of the remaining games in this tournament as possible and post observations/match reports.

As far as posting on any other site, I don't have time. To Naminirt and company, I am still a "neophyte" on this site... until I reach veteran or guru status I don't think you'll see me post elsewhere but please feel free to copy my observations anywhere you see fit, as long as you identify the source.

Later.

PeterR
        Peter R

Comment

Will address this in another post tomorrow. "Look for me in the whirlwind"

Comment

there is another aspect of the game we have to address. The basic things such as heading the ball. I was amaze in college to see how these American kids would go after headers, run into position.

Many of our players also have the bad habit of making the ball bounce, especially in defense. That is dwath when you playing against good players.

We simply need coaches that know what it takes.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

assasin (8/20/2006)there is another aspect of the game we have to address. The basic things such as heading the ball. I was amaze in college to see how these American kids would go after headers, run into position.

Many of our players also have the bad habit of making the ball bounce, especially in defense. That is dwath when you playing against good players.

We simply need coaches that know what it takes.
              That not moving/expecting/anticipating the pass from a header and thenot meeting the ball (allowing the ball to bounce) drives me up the wall!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Peter-r is deceptively analytical (to borrow a phrase)...and I agree with his views on the U-16s. Pls call me to go to the next game...more than 10 minutes before kickoff!!!

Comment

This problem goes all the way to the senior level of our football. Watch any tape with Whitmore and you see the same thing, he manages to get lost for about 15-20 in any game, just moving listlessly around the field.

We have this other very gifted player Daniell Ricketts who has the same problem...he used to play in the same midfield as Whitmore at Seba and trust me it used to be so obvious and one could only hope they did not get lost at the same time.

Any midfield with Whitmore and 'Cup Head' should be one of the best at any level in Jamaica but sadly it was anything but...
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

sickko (8/20/2006)This problem goes all the way to the senior level of our football. Watch any tape with Whitmore and you see the same thing, he manages to get lost for about 15-20 in any game, just moving listlessly around the field.

We have this other very gifted player Daniell Ricketts who has the same problem...he used to play in the same midfield as Whitmore at Seba and trust me it used to be so obvious and one could only hope they did not get lost at the same time.

Any midfield with Whitmore and 'Cup Head' should be one of the best at any level in Jamaica but sadly it was anything but...
                    Unnuh cyaan talk bout Whitmore disappearing haul unnuh want...but, the teams after Simoes' '98 World Cup squad, refused to play through him.

In fact, there were times when we looked ludicrous as the supporting cast took to 'hoof-ing' the ball miles over the 'real mastro's' head. ...the reporters appeared even worst as after such displays the reports were always "Tappa" hides and or "Tappa" disappears! Total damn foolishness! ...silly reporting!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I cant believe I am doing this but as the late BJ used to say, spit out the sand from your mouth, it is choking your argument....

I hope him not reading this or no one will tell him that I am quoting him.
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

<DIV>:hehe: It's simply amazing - Tappa has had more exposure than probably any other Reggae Boy. Hell he even scored 2 World Cup goals!, yet the name "Maestro" has never found root on such a great player.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I wonder why?</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

[quote]HL (8/19/2006)Peter R., the pundits on this site will avoid your observation like the pox.

Notice right away you are asked why you nevah postyour viewson the Trini site....?

HL the poster naminirt is a trini

How do you what ppl are going to say? Is that ppl on here only think in the box?

What did u expect for ststing the extremely obvious?

Comment

Excellent point balla:

I have been involved with this group (u16 boys) soccer in in south Florida and it reinforce your position in that J'cans national youth team cant compete with there age group players at the club level here in south Florida.

The intensity and focus that the modern game requires is just not factored in to compete with these Mexican, american, Brazillian, columbian ect. players.

My son started playin club soccerwith an elite group of players in in South Florida 4yrs ago and i can tell u with all his skill and craft that he brought from jamaica he had to adjust his training programme drastically to remain competive. Because guess wat?

1. You gotta travel state to state playing soccer at the elite tournaments

2. The soccer season is a revolving schedule of leagues and tournaments for at least 11 mths

3.Olympic developement trials for youth teams selection for a national pool .

4. college coaches clinics and seminar all geared to usher every single player into the college system.

5. International tournaments

And the list will continue if i had time to emphasize on every little detail. These are just variables that involved in achiement of the total player.

I also did some research on the european academys and it is the same system of developement available for club programmes, so when we look at caribbean teams against the other contenders we can see where we lackin.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and lots of it

Comment

Working...
                            X