RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the footdragging on the use of video replay in Cricket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the footdragging on the use of video replay in Cricket?

SO why when a TV replay clearly shows the umpire erred, and I'm not talking LBW , why isn't the decision corrected? Today I was watching the India v SA match; the last man out for India, who lost the match, Sreesanth was given out caught behind. The TV replay clearly showed that the ball clipped his shirt. So why can't the third umpire entervene?

India would likely have lost anyway, but the principle is what I am talking about. I say if the TV cameras can clarify and show what happened why not use the technology?

pr
    Peter R

RE: Why the footdragging on the use of video replay in Cricket?

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Do you consider the errors of the officials as a part of the game? If you do, then you will not want to have the ruling of the officials second guessed. An umpire calls the game how he sees it, and we trust that they are making the call in all fairness and to the best of their abilities.

I have not been following cricket for years now, but I think it would get to the point where the sport becomes so Americanized with all the stoppage of play for challanging the umpire's decisions reviewing video etc.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

RE: Why the footdragging on the use of video replay in Cricket?

Tilla, they currently use replays to decide among other things whether a fielder was touching the boundary while fielding a ball in which case it would be a "4"... I've seen the 3rd umpire (the replay umpire) take more than a minute to make a decision in such cases...I don't see why they can't use it for even more critical decisions as to whether a man is out or in. ICC could simply limit the number of TV replays a side could call for in an innings.

So many times video replays show with no multiple sets of replays where the umpires have made a mistake...

While some argue about the human element being part of the game... I say if the technology provides clarity we should use it.

pr
      Peter R

Comment

Working...
      X