• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Jamaica Gold' on the rise Down Under

'Jamaica Gold' on the rise Down Under
    published: Wednesday | January 3, 2007
    <DIV class=KonaBody yJQdZ="true">

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC):

Western Australia cricketer Shawn Gillies has taken the long route in pursuit of a place in international cricket.

The tall, powerfully build all-rounder migrated from his native Jamaica and is now rising rapidly in the ranks Down Under.

Born in Mandeville in Jamaica's west-central parish of Manchester, the 25-year-old is hoping to soon represent his adopted nation as a left-handed batsman and right-arm seamer.

In an interview with the Inside Cricket - Australia's leading publication on cricket - Gillies said his first priority was to establish himself in the Western Australia team and then look for higher honours.

The monthly magazine listed him as The Apprentice - young player on the rise. He has been nicknamed 'Jamaica Gold".

"I've always been an all-rounder, always liked to bat and bowl and get involved in the game. The only preference I have is to be in the starting XI," he said.

"If I get an opportunity to have a bowl, that fantastic, and if I get an opportunity to have a bat, well I'll try to make the most of it, there's no real preference, just being involved and contributing to the team is the most important thing."

He said his aim is to play for Australia, and representing the West Indies is not a consideration.

Gillies made his first class debut last season against South Africa and rocked the top order with a burst of three for 41, which remains his best first-class figures. He has played three matches and managed six wickets and 70 runs.

He also admitted that competition for places in Australia was fierce, but believed he had what was needed to succeed. </DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X