Money is not my motive - Beckham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money is not my motive - Beckham

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Money is not my motive - Beckham </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Beckham announced on Thursday he will join LA Galaxy in August</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>David Beckham insists his move to LA Galaxy is not financially driven.

The 31-year-old will earn a reported £128m over five years after agreeing to leave Real Madrid for the Major League Soccer side at the end of the season.

But he said: "I didn't want to go there at 34 years old and for people to say he's only going for the money. It's not what I'm going out there to do.

"I want to take soccer in the US to another level. I think it can go higher in America than anyone can believe."

<DIV class=avinline>Interview: David Beckham </DIV><DIV class=avinline>Interview: American sports journalist Sean Wheelock </DIV>

He added: "There are so many kids playing American Football and basketball in the US.

"Soccer is huge all around the world except in America and that's where I want to make a difference with the kids."

Beckham left Manchester United to join Real Madrid in 2003 but his arrival coincided with the start of a barren period for the Spanish giants, who have not won any major silverware in his time at the club.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibStdQuote><DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV id=q1></DIV>To play with Zinedine Zidane was the biggest honour I have had in my career <DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva>David Beckham</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The former England captain has also struggled to win a place in Real's first team this season, but he regards the move to Spain as a success.

"Regrets? No. I have never had any regrets throughout my life and career and I never want to," he said.

"I have to say thank you to (former president) Florentino Perez for giving me the chance to actually play for this huge team and to play in that white shirt was an honour for four years.

"To play with Zinedine Zidane was the biggest honour I have had in my career, to play with the likes of Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos... for me, there are no regrets there."

In the US, the news of Beckham's move has been greeted as a historic moment in the history of football in the country.

"David Beckham coming to MLS might be viewed by some as one of the most important moments for soccer in this country and perhaps the history of professional sport," MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a statement.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibStdQuote><DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV id=q1></DIV>To be able to manage and coach him will be a dream come true for me <DIV id=q2
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Money is not my motive - Beckham

Becks will be good...very goodfor the MLS.

On another note as his market value rose it was strange to see Becks being put down by some in football.

He was a TOP OF THE WORLD performer and he will surprise some as he is still a very, very good player. He was and still isalways TEAM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

fifa.com carried the Reuters report -

<SPAN class=art-title2>USA</SPAN>

<SPAN class=art-title2>Beckham agrees to LA Galaxy move</SPAN>

<TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=150 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
      </TD></TR><TR class=paddingall><TD vAlign=top> <SPAN class=textblack11px_normal>David Beckham, arguably the world's most high-profile and widely recognised footballer, has announced that he is to leave Real Madrid at the end of this season and move to MLS outfit LA Galaxy.
      </SPAN><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>(AFP)</SPAN> <SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>Bru GARCIA
      </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">(REUTERS)</SPAN> <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">11 Jan 2007</SPAN>

<SPAN class=art-text>Former England captain David Beckham will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and sign a five-year deal for MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy, he told Reuters on Thursday.

"This week Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract for a further two seasons," said Beckham.

"After discussing several options with my family and my advisors to either stay here in Madrid or join other major British and European teams I have decided to join LA Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year.

"I would like to thank supporters and the people of Madrid who have made my family and I so welcome in my time here making this an extremely difficult decision to make.

"I have enjoyed my time here enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me an opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans."

Real Madrid confirmed that Beckham would not renew his contract with the club.

"After a meeting this morning at the Bernabeu between the club and David Beckham's agents both parties decided that David would not extend his present contract with the club which ends on June 30, 2007," Real said on their website.

The 31-year-old, who joined Real from Manchester United in June 2003, is the most famous player to sign up for Major League Soccer since it began in 1996.

He is also the biggest name player to move to club soccer inNorth Americasince the likes of Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruijff played in the long-defunct North American Soccer League (NASL) in the 1970s and early eighties.

His deal is reported to be one of the biggest in global sport with Beckham set to earn more than $250 million over the duration of his contract - approximately one million dollars a week.

LA Galaxy had made public their interest in Beckham who runs a football academy that shares its home with the team and who has close links to the Anschutz Entertainment Group who own the club.

"David Beckham coming to MLS might be viewed by some as one of the most important moments for soccer in this coutry and perhaps the history of professional sport," MLS Commissioner Don Garber said in a statement.

"David trancends the sport and is a cultural icon. David is clearly one of the most recognisable athletes in the world. People are going to feel really good about David Beckham spending the rest of his career in the U.S."

The news ends months of speculation about the future of the midfielder whose contract with Real expires at the end of the season.

Having been first choice in the Real Madrid starting lineup since he moved to Spain, Beckham lost his place following the arrival of Italian coach Fabio Capello.

He has only started five of Real's 16 league games this season and was known to be frustrated with his lack of opportunities in the first team.

The former Manchester United player said he was now inspired by the challenge of cracking the American soccer market.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to

Comment

Its a JOKE! a waste of money ,he is done , over finished with , its all a marketing ploy , when he comes here and gets locked down , cant score fe save im life , what then ?

Its all hype , media hype , the great white JOKE, a british media hypegone international, like owen.

Not impressed with his quality and turned off by the hype.Mls has sunk to new lows , I think Beck has a plan, playout his contract and buy a Championship or prem team.

MUCH ADU ABOUT NOTHING!
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
        X