Former US star says Jamaica can sweep sprints in Osaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former US star says Jamaica can sweep sprints in Osaka

Former US star says Jamaica can sweep sprints in Osaka <DIV class=KonaBody Ar6jv="true">

Anthony Foster, Sports reporter

American Olympic Games sprint relay gold medallist, Mel Pender. - file

MEL Pender, a member of the United States sprint relay quartet which won gold in world time at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics, believes Jamaica has a good chance of sweeping the sprints at this summer's IAAF World Championships in Osaka, Japan.

Pender, who arrived in the island on Wednesday for tomorrow's Douglas Forrest Invitational track and field meet at the Stadium East field, said Jamaica with a squad comprising world 100m record holder Asafa Powell, Usain Bolt, one of the fastest men in the world over 200m, Sherone Simpson, the fastest woman in the world last year over both 100m and 200m and 2004 Athens Olympics 200m champion Veronica Campbell, can win the 100m and 200m in Osaka.

"You will, I think you have a good chance," Pender, who was once the holder of the 50 yards world record at five seconds flat, told Star Sports on his arrival at the Alhambra Inn Hotel.

In March last year, Jamaica swept the sprints at the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne,Australia, with Powell and Sherri-Ann Brooks taking the 100m gold medals before Omar Brown and Sherone Simpson won the men's and women's 200m.

However, according to Pender who finished sixth in the 100m in both the 1964 and 1968 Olympic Games, in order for Jamaica to sweep these events, the athletes will have to remain healthy.

"If they stay healthy, nobody is going to touch them, they just have to stay healthy," said the 69-year-old Pender who also played American football.

Pender, who served 21 years in the United States military, described Jamaica's track and field programme as "great".

"You (Jamaica) guys have some of the greatest athletes in the world, especially your sprinters," said Pender, who went to war in Vietnam at the age of 27.

"I used to train with Lennox (Miller) and Donald Quarrie in Los Angles when I was in college and it was hard to beat those guys, very hard," said Pender who last visited Jamaica eight years ago.

The man, whose personal best of 9.9 seconds over 100m made him one of the best during his time, believes Jamaica can also improve in other areas other than the sprints.

"I think you have to do it like other countries, I think you will have to get a sports organisation where the athletes can train all year round instead of six or seven months.

Left: Jamaica's Olympic 200 metres champion Veronica Campbell. Right: World 100m record holder Asafa Powell

( L - R )Usain Bolt and Sherone Simpson </DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X