• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give the JAAA a break

Give the JAAA a break
    published: Thursday | January 25, 2007
    <DIV class=KonaBody xVlvo="true">

</DIV>

OVER THE years, many have criticised the Jamaica Amateur Athletic Association (JAAA) while others have silently sung the praises of the local governing body for track and field.

Now, it's time for me to focus on the work of the association over the past couple years as, while there are many positives, the few negatives have often overshadowed them. In 2005, Jamaica's high jump record holder, Germaine Mason, and Brandon Simpson switched allegiance to Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Bahrain respectively.

Mason's reason was because he wanted to join his family while American-born Simpson, a quarter-miler, said he never felt at home in Jamaica.

Simpson was recently quoted as saying: "I feel at home now, I am very happy to be here (Bahrain) ... I never felt at home with Jamaica."

Kimberly Barrett, who was given a glorious opportunity to represent Jamaica at the 2004 Olympic Games with a B standard qualifying mark, also turned her back on the country and switched because of money.

At the time, JAAA executive member Donald Quarrie, an Olympic 200m gold medallist, said the organisation planned to assist Barrett as it would normally do for many other athletes, but her asking price of US$13,716 yearly was too high.

It has recently come to my attention that the JAAA over the past two years has spent millions assisting athletes.

Not satisfied

It's a task which has treasurer Ludlow Watts busily transferring money to athletes' accounts almost every single week. However, despite this, many are still not satisfied.

It is obvious that the association does not have the money to cater to all the demands but, while saying that, how many of the athletes, when they start to make millions, remember who helped them to reach the top?

Some of these athletes are among the ones who treat the National Championships with disrespect as they only attend in major championship years.

In some countries, athletes are required by their federation's laws to pay over a percentage of their earnings, but while this could help the JAAA a lot, it has decided against it, a decision which I support totally.

The JAAA, which depends heavily on Puma and the Sports Develop-ment Foundation (SDF) for funding, does not have it like the bodies in the United States, Great Britain, Canada and other First World countries, and I believe the athletes should give the JAAA a break and not only think about themselves.

Focusing on departures

However, while some may be focusing on the departures, not many pay attention to the person who won the long jump at the National Championships last year.

Nolle Graham, who had competed for Jamaica as a junior, switched her allegiance to the United States in 2001 but has switched back to Jamaica in 2006, admitting things are better now.

One of the reasons why I give the 'thumbs up' to this Howard Aris-led administration is that it has delivered upon its manifesto; one part of which gives long distance and field event athletes in Jamaica hope that there is a future for them in the sport.

Last year was another good year for Jamaica on the track and in the field, winning 169 medals - World Juniors (2G, 1S, 5B), CAC Juniors (31G, 16S, 11B), Carifta Games (39G, 21S, 8B), World Indoors (1S), Commonwealth Games (9G, 3S, 8B), CAC Games (5G, 3S, 4B) NACAC Under-23 (2G, 1S, 1B).

Please send your comments to anthony.foster@gleanerjm.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Give the JAAA a break

PR job...
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

RE: Give the JAAA a break

The worst kind of PR ever.

Comment

Working...
      X