Williams wallops Sharapova for eighth Grand Slam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Williams wallops Sharapova for eighth Grand Slam

<DIV class=pagetitle><H1>Williams wallops Sharapova for eighth Grand Slam</H1></DIV><DIV class=bylinebox style="MARGIN-TOP: 8px"><DIV class=bylinetext>Associated Press
    </DIV><DIV style="FLOAT: right"></DIV></DIV><BR clear=all><DIV class=text11 style="BACKGROUND: rgb(255,255,255) 0% 50%; moz-background-clip: initial; moz-background-origin: initial; moz-background-inline-policy: initial"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top>

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Serena Williams answered her critics with an overpowering victory in the Australian Open final.<DIV class=phinline>
    <DIV style="WIDTH: 195px"><DIV class=photocred2>Kristian Dowling/Getty Images</DIV><DIV class=photosubtext>Williams poses with the trophy after winning her women's final match against Maria Sharapova. </DIV></DIV></DIV>

Unseeded and ranked 81st, Williams won for her eighth and most improbable Grand Slam title Saturday, beating Maria Sharapova 6-1, 6-2.

"It was an awesome win, because I had so many critics. So many people ... saying negative things," Williams said. "Saying I wasn't fit, when I felt that I was really fit, and I could last three sets.

"It's always like, tell me no and I'll show you that I can do it. I get the greatest satisfaction just holding up the Grand Slam trophy and proving everyone wrong."

Only the second unseeded woman to win the Australian title in the Open era, Williams came to Melbourne Park with only three matches at a low-key warmup tournament after missing most of last season because of a knee injury.

She will jump to No. 14 in the world next week after capturing her first title in 15 tournaments since her second Australian Open victory in 2005.

Despite doubts about her fitness, Williams thought she was in great shape.

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://espn-ak.starwave.com/insertfiles/js/tennis/aus-open-scoreboard.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><TABLE id=inlinetable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(0,0,0)"><CENTER>Australian Open Scoreboard</CENTER></TH></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(236,236,236)" vAlign=top><TD width=184>Every match, both men's and women's, throughout the Australian Open. Complete Scores </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"I have been working really hard and haven't felt like my results have been showing," she said. "And finally it just all came together, especially in the final match."

The victory was the most dominating win in a completed championship match at Melbourne Park since Steffi Graf beat Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario 6-0, 6-2 in 1994.

"This definitely goes down as one of my good matches. I'm insatiable," Williams said. "I think I could have done better. That's just my character."

She finished off the top-seeded Sharapova with a backhand winner, then threw her racket in the air and dropped onto her back on the court.

The 25-year-old American, also the 2003 champion, got up and skipped over to the side of the court, swapping high-fives with mother Oracene Price and other people in the stands before jogging back onto court with her arms up in triumph.

Williams dedicated the title to her half-sister,
    No need to thank me forumites.

RE: Williams wallops Sharapova for eighth Grand Slam

That Baddaz's girl - what you expect but a bad arse game(Tant)
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

RE: Williams wallops Sharapova for eighth Grand Slam

MdmeX (1/27/2007)That Baddaz's girl - what you expect but a bad arse game(Tant)
      Hehe.....well Serena absolutely dismantled the girl to rhatid. It was sick. I always enjoy when the Williams sisters shuts everyone up. They take a year off from tennis....come back and win a grand slam.....take off another year....come back and win another grandslam.....you can just see how it ticks off the tennis establishment. - T.K.
      No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Working...
      X