'No more Natty'- Sasah speaks out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'No more Natty'- Sasah speaks out

I have asked this question before, how comes these 'Conscious Rastas' hardly if ever date empresses? Not that this woman here is not attractive and very well groomed as this photo bears out but....I expected that these 'fire chanting rastas' would have an empress with flowing locks, wearing African garbs.

No more 'Natty': Sasha speaks out

Observer Reporter

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Sasha. has received much acclaim in dancehall circles for the songs, Natty Pon De Frontline and We've Got the Love - her duets with Rastafarian singer Turbulence

After two heavily rotating hits, a rumoured relationship, an onstage confirmation and a subsequent break-up, the duo that is Sasha and Turbulence are no more.

"Things happened that I wasn't prepared to deal with and I left," Sasha told TEENage when she visited the Observer premises last Friday.

The recording artiste, who in 2003 collaborated with dancehall cross-over star Sean Paul on the track I'm Still in Love, has received much acclaim in dancehall circles for the songs, Natty Pon De Frontline and We've Got the Love - her duets with Rastafarian singer Turbulence. The two started seeing each other around the time when the first track was released.

"It was a natural vibe.freestyle almost," she said, describing the creative process during the making of the first track. The latter track, created much later, was an effort to express how much they cared for each other.

Her delicately manicured fingers now running through her braids, the singer sat upright, seemingly ready to rehash the feelings that spawned the emotionally-inspired song.

"It was at a mature stage in our relationship.we were untouchable," she said, adding: "We felt like nobody could destroy this (relationship)."

Despite that feeling, the singer concluded that "all good things must come to an end".

She said too that men and women approach relationships and the nuances therein, differently because "men have egos and women have emotions". The clashing of these two things, she said, destroys many relationships.

"The relationship started getting to me when he'd go onstage and say things without giving thought that I was also a public figure," she said. It was not so much the onstage declarations that offended her, since she knew Turbulence did not mean any harm. However, Sasha said she was concerned that the public might not interpret said statements the same way she did and felt that it could have affected her image on the local and international scene. A part from the media being too heavily involved with the relationship, Sasha said that she and her former boyfriend were attracted to very different social settings. And that caused a big problem.

"I'm not a studio groupie. I keep myself isolated, people oftentimes can't find me," she said, adding that, unlike her, "he's a street person". Differences aside, Sasha insisted that there was no bad blood between them and that she wished him all the best in his career, even as she tries to re-merge as a solo act.

"I'm no longer 'Sasha and.' It's just Sasha," the petite singer said, throwing back her head and twisting her braids. The now single Sasha told TEENage that she has planned to head back to North America, where she had been living since age five.

"It's been three years since I'm Still in Love and it's time to start the process all over," she said before adding that she has recorded several Reggaeton tracks that are "ripping up the Latin-American market".

She said too, that, dancehall and the "one-drop phase" were just transitional points in her life and she wanted to show her versatility.

"The fact that I grew up in New York made it easy to have influences in the R&B and Hip-hop genres," she said, and she named acts like, LL Cool J, Salt 'N' Peppa' and the late Jam Master J (of Run DMC) among her influences.

"As an artiste you can't allow people to put you in a box, dictating what you can and can't d
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.
Working...
X