• Show
Clear All

• Travelling the bad roads down south

<DIV id=printReady>

Travelling the bad roads down south
    published: Thursday | August 24, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

The Editor, Sir:

On Saturday, August 19, 2006, I drove from Lucea in Hanover to Y.S. Falls in St. Elizabeth and was shocked and appalled at the condition of the road. Not only were there numerous potholes, but in some places there were craters.

While driving I saw at least ten motorists changing tyres damaged by these potholes and craters. I had hoped that the roads where I live, in Coral <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: black! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Gardens</SPAN>, St. James, almost all of which are becoming dirt tracks, would someday be fixed. However, after seeing the condition of the main roads, I now have no hope.

Not acceptable

With the condition of the roads in Jamaica, we can no longer accept the Government saying it has no money for repairs. It is obvious that the National Works Agency and the road and works departments of the Parish Councils are not doing their job.

My suggestion to the Govern-ment is that it use the US$260 million it intends to borrow from Venezuela to fix the roads in Jamaica and postpone Highway 2000; that the registration fees for motor vehicles be raised, on a sliding scale, and that the additional fee be placed in a special fund which should be used only for road repairs. Impose a special <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: black! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">tax</SPAN> on gasoline earmarked specifically for road repairs.

Think of the benefit to the country by this mass road improvement project. It would provide jobs for the unemployed and the savings by motorists, in terms of <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: black! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">car </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: black! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">repairs</SPAN>, would be worth the added fees and taxes.

It is time that we demand better roads in our country and I submit that Highway 2000 is not absolutely necessary at this time.

I am, etc.,

PERCIVAL A. CLARKE

[B]percivalclarke@hotmail.com <
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

RE: Travelling the bad roads down south

Percival, says he lives in Carol Gardens, now, for what ever reason he choose to be in Lucea and want to proceed to Ys Falls. Let me suggest a better route, from Lucea go east on the Notherncostal Highway, at Reading, turn right up Long Hill(bad section at Haddo only).

Why the hell he went up to Dias/Grange Hill route, he needs to know more about Jamaica, look out for my Guide to Hanover.

Comment

<DIV>Percival lives abroad! How in heaven's name can he call for more taxes from motorists?!? Him mad! Me just a come from our "DMV" today and truss mi, for all the money I had to pay out, we should have more dan Highway 2000.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Percy lucky! Him soon gone back a 'Merica!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Guess Percy has never been toNew York!!!

I travelled from Negril to the YS falls and after reading about the terrible condition of our roads for so many years was surprised at how good the roads where.

Incidentally on Tuesday pastI drove from Negril through Sheffield - took a quick trip down toSpring Garden - Top Hill, Little London, Savanna-la-Mar - stopped in at Mannings -, Bluefields, Whitehouse, Brompton, Middle Quarters - took a trip up to New Market, Smithfield/New Roads - back down to Middle Quarters, Santa Cruz, Munro College/Munro Villas - realised that the picture of the academy does not tell one-half of the story as the property and location cannot hold a candle to what is presently at the GC Foster - , Southfield, Junction,Nain, by-passed Mandeville &amp;May Pen, SpanishTown, via Flatbridge toBog Walk, by-passed Linstead, up into the foothills of Treadways, retraced to Bog Walk - Spanish Townto Kingston - *Norwood.

The roads were not bad. ...and, the toll road is simply great! By-the-way I drove the North Coast route when I headed out to Negril. The work being done from a little beyond DunnsRiver through to Montego Bay tells that there will be a magnificent road system in place 'shortly'.

*Current Avatar shows picture from balcony of townhouse I stayed at in Norwood - overlooking Kingston with view of Palisadoes in the east, Kingston waterfront going west as far as to Hellshire and points further.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

No Shame to your game.

Some of us actually LIVE in Jamaica Karl.

Next time skip the High Grade stop on the way infrom the Airport.

Comment

Working...
          X