• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A truly great show for the world

A truly great show for the world
    published: Thursday | March 15, 2007
    <DIV class=KonaBody BdUr0="true">

</DIV>

JAMAICANS GOT a real sense of satisfaction for putting on a fantastic opening ceremony for the ICC WI Cricket World Cup on Sunday at the Multi-purpose Stadium in Trelawny.

It was a well-choreographed event, from the speeches at the start right through to the finish where a number of superstars, many icons of reggae in their own right, performed in the backdrop of the music's king, Bob Marley, in an atmosphere lit-up with fireworks.

And there were the dancers too, all shapes and forms, including the ones on stilts who, designed or coincidentally, added a funnyside to the proceedings.

Two fell, one could never get back up on both stilts and had to be hauled off the park real quickly as their time had expired and another group of dancers were sprinting on to the field.

Wow.

The country had been preparing this spectacle to welcome the world for some time and have done so in such a successful manner, spending much time, effort and finances in the construction of that new stadium, roads and other support services.

Amid everything, there was much concern and criticism, on one hand, that the work would have been completed in time and two, due to the amount of inconveniences that accompanied the process.

It may appear odd but regardless of the nation or creed, just about every time there's a world event, you get this situation where the organisers get into an almighty race against time to complete their venues and support services. And the stories are always the same. Those assessments generally extend as the tournament unfold and run through to the climaxing moments, like the finals and shortly after the closing ceremony. Yeah, we really put on a great show for the world.

Then, as the days wear on and the joys of the Cricket World Cup wear off, be warned, the criticisms will return, with fresh ones too.

You want to know how I know this, I've heard them all before.

There will be criticisms again about the wisdom of spending so much money to build a completely new facility in Trelawny, for upgrading Sabina Park, for building new roads and upgrading existing ones, for doing just about everything connected to hosting the World Cup because it created a cost that the country was not in a position to bear.

Bigger benefits

One of the many colourful acts that thrilled the audience during the opening ceremony at the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium on Sunday. - Ian Allen/Staff Photographer

My mind is ticking, I'm beginning to wonder about the day when Tom, who can barelyfoot his household bills, somehow convinces the bank manager to finance a loan to further educate his son John John because of his nine children, all were dropouts and John John got eight distinctions and needs the money to service his university expenses.

I figure Tom is willing to make that investment because in the scheme of life, somewhere down the line there are bigger benefits to be accrued.

Then I look at the National Stadium and wonder about the concerns and criticisms that must have been raised at the time when it was being constructed to host the Commonwealth Games in 1962. What I know is that a number of world-class events, including World Cup qualifiers and other FIFA-approved matches and again in track and field athletics, the 2002 World Junior Championships, among others, have been held there since.

There is the National Indoor Sports Centre that was built to host the World Netba
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: A truly great show for the world

Karl (3/15/2007)<DIV class=KonaBody BdUr0="true">

</DIV>

Then I look at the National Stadium and wonder about the concerns and criticisms that must have been raised at the time when it was being constructed to host the Commonwealth Games in 1962. What I know is that a number of world-class events, including World Cup qualifiers and other FIFA-approved matches and again in track and field athletics, the 2002 World Junior Championships, among others, have been held there since.
    Why do we get this info wrong so often?! The Kingston Commonwealth Games were 1966, not 1962. Anyhow, might as well we forget since we didn't do particularly well. Even T&amp;T got more gold medals than we did.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (3/15/2007)
      Karl (3/15/2007)<DIV class=KonaBody BdUr0="true">

</DIV>

Why do we get this info wrong so often?! The Kingston Commonwealth Games were 1966, not 1962. Anyhow, might as well we forget since we didn't do particularly well. Even T&amp;T got more gold medals than we did.
      Me nuh know what is wrong wid these Journalists why them can't research them facts!! Tired to read incorrect details in them report - and don't anyone tell me about "Printer's Devil":w00t:
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

FROM THE BOUNDARY - The wonderful day I felt 10 feet tall
        published: Friday | March 16, 2007
        <DIV class=KonaBody BdUr0="true">

Tony Becca

THE CRICKET World Cup got under way at Sabina Park on Tuesday and with the home team producing a brilliant performance and easily defeating Pakistan. What a lovely beginning it was.

The new-look Sabina Park - beautiful 'Bina, looked gorgeous, first in the morning's brilliant sunshine, then, with the shadows stretching across the lush green outfield, later on in the golden rays of the evening sun.

Although it was not filled at the start of the day's play, it filled out nicely and provided a wonderful atmosphere for the historic opening day and some magnificent strokeplay, and especially so by local boy Marlon Samuels.

As good as Sabina Park looked, however, and as exciting as the cricket, after two matches, has been, and especially so the opening one in which the West Indies, but for Christopher Gayle and Shivnarine Chanderpaul, batted well, in which, after giving away only two wides and bowling no no-balls in 47.2 overs, they bowled well, and in misfielding only once and taking all their catches, they also fielded brilliantly, the occasion that will linger with me for a long, long time is the opening ceremony at the impressive Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium on Sunday afternoon going into Sunday night.

As a Jamaican, I have always been proud of my country, as a West Indian, I have always been proud of being a brother to Trinidadians, Barbadians, Guyanese, Antiguans, St. Lucians, Grenadians and Vincentians, etc., etc., etc.

Memorable moments

I felt proud, as a Jamaican, when, for example, Lawrence Rowe scored a world record 214 and 100 not in his debut Test match, when Michael Holding picked up 14 wickets at The Oval, when Don Quarrie won the Olympic 200 metres gold medal, when Merlene Ottey won the 100 metres gold at the World Championships and when Lisa Hanna won the Miss World title. Whenever I hear Bob Marley's One Love or Redemption Song, when the bobsled team took the world by storm, when the Reggae Boyz qualified for the World Cup of football and when Courtney Walsh broke the world record for the most number of wickets in Test cricket, my heart also swelled.

And apart from Monday night at the Pegasus hotel when Deryck Murray gave a wonderful speech at the dinner to honour the West Indies champions of the 1975 and 1979, apart from Tuesday when the West Indies played almost a perfect match as if in honour of the past champions who were serenaded on the field before the start of the match, I felt proud, as a West Indian, when, for example, Sonny Ramadhin and Alfred Valentine destroyed England in 1950, when Gary Sobers stroked a world record 365 not out, when Rohan Kanhai stroked his way to 158 against India at Sabina Park, when Hasely Crawford won the Olympic 100 metres, when Brian Lara broke Sobers' world record, when Lara regained the world record and when Trinidad and Tobago qualified for the World Cup of football.

<SMALL>I was never so proud, however,
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X