I had to agree with Mikey Holding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had to agree with Mikey Holding

having said that the Zimbabwe Ireland game that ended in a tie must have been exciting entertainment for the couple thousand fans who were there to witness the game.

On the other hand we saw Australia demolishing Scotland yesterday and today Sri Lanka battering Bermuda; Sri lanka scoring 326(?) and then bowling Bermuda out for less than eighty. See why mi cudden spen mi money fi dem match deh!

pr
    Peter R

RE: I had to agree with Mikey Holding

Peter, I was not too much in agreement with Holding's statement, especially when you remember that 9 years ago in France Maldini made statement to the effect that Jamaica did not deserve to be there. We also got our ass handed to us by Argentian 5-0 and lost the previous match 3-1 then ended up beating Japan. I am still not sure if winning the last match meant we belonged. . .
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla, Yes, but at the same time FIFA didn't open up the competition to increase the participation by 33% as the ICC has done over the last two World Cups (1999 12 teams, 2003 14, now 16).

I would have liked to seeat least the 14 teams remain constant, not 16, with the non test teams in a more rigourous playoff/qualifier process to get into the WC itself.

At any rate, the fans have voted and will vote with their feet with respect to these matches..check the attendance. In FIFA WC itis never so bad even when "weak" teams play (each other).

pr
      Peter R

Comment

<DIV>Does anyone else find it a little weird that we are criticising Bermuda when we are playing as part of a combined West Indies team? Why isn't Jamaica playing? Bermuda has about as many people as Kingston College's 1st form, yet they are competing, yes competing with the best in the world.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>And has anyone noticed that some of these minnows and lesser test-playing countries have some teenagers and 20 year olds making half-centuries against the world's best?!?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>The minnows have a right to be there. The big cricket countries need to just beat them and move on, if they can!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah, Ireland and to a lesser extent Bangladesh have me eating my words...notwithstanding the fact that Ireland has its share of UB40s from down under. I am grateful to the Balgladesh side for creating interest ion the first round matches in TT by beating India. HoweverIconsider themconsiderablymore accomplished than say Canada, Bermuda and Scotland. the Zimbabwe team I think had some Windies hearts fluttering when we were at 130 for 4 and the rate in check.

Now the very thing you mentioned of the real minnow sides like Bermuda being includedin the WC and not other individual island teams went through my mind. The ICC is including these minnow sides in order to try and expand the game.. I really believe they should then consider adopting a FIFA policy and have individual countries play for the WC... with qualifying rounds etc. a la FIFA. It might help to generate more interest in the game. Windies could stay intact for Test and regular ODIs...just a thought.

pr
          Peter R

Comment

I totally agree with you bredrin.Just a couple of days agoI had a conversation with Mosiah about the same subject, and I really believe that the ICC should adopt the same policy as FIFA and have individual countries compete for the World Cup. If Bermuda can compete as an individual nation thenJamaica, Barbados,T&amp;T, Guyana, Antigua etc. can all do the same. In fact I think that this would not only generate more interest in the sport, but also improve the quality of play andallow these Islands to produce more top class players. Instead of producing 2 to 3 top players to play for the Windies, they would be forced to produce a top class squad. Furthermore, we don't need outside intervention like our football teams because we have the class and quality right here in the Caribbeanfrom which to choose top notch coaches, and we have our own cricket heroes and superstars which the kids would try to emulate. Can you imagine a premier cricket league in Jamaica and other caribbean islands, with the top clubs competing in a grand finale? or Jamaica playing a test match against Barbados or Australia? It is certainlypossible because I can rememberjust recently at different points in time when different islands produced the bulk of the West Indies team, having five to seven players in the team.

Comment

Man what the hell are you clowns talking about? Disbanding the West Indies team for the WorlCup? Unnuh have sense?

Comment

What's so odd about that?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah, yu figet seh is ongle Bricktop have sense roun yah? or one of de few...

ANyhow, the problem might be that we'd get our tail kicked...if we were to play as individual islands, but if the goal is to generate more interest in crickrt then the ICC should look ata variety of strategies to grow the sport...andcricket isn't growing if you ask me. I think it can grow though, especially if a 20/20 WC was in place...then any card could play in those kinds of matches. The recent Stanford 20.20 showed what little islands with tiny populations could do...and I believe almost every game was sold out or nearly so.

The other argument though is whether 20/20 is in fact cricket..:hehe:

pr
                  Peter R

Comment

Mosiah (3/25/2007)What's so odd about that?
                    Uhmm a little thing called a legacy maybe? I work with Indians who cannot name a single player on their own team but know who Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Jeffrey Dujon, Gordon Greenidge, Desmond Haynes, Malcom Marshall, Joel Garner et al are and show their kids youtube videos of these WINDIES greats and you want to throw that all away?

Comment

Legacy?!? We also had a combined T&amp;F team. In fact, to hell with sports. Yuh want legacy? Let's go back on the plantation, Kunta!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (3/26/2007)In fact, to hell with sports. Yuh want legacy? Let's go back on the plantation, Kunta!
                        But what in God's name is this?

Comment

What?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (3/26/2007)What?!
                            Here I am talking about a proud moment in our history when we dominated world cricket and you run come try compare it to slavery? What is your major malfunction? One legacy is to be celebrated the other is not.

Comment

<DIV>Okay the slavery comparison was wrong. But there must be some good rationale for supporting any legacy. Having fond memories of cricket back in the day is not good enuff for me. Yes, those times were great, but let's move on.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Can you imagine the memories the Soviet Union has on the Olympics? Do you think they should compete as a region still?</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X