• Show
Clear All

• Blake's coach may decline Jamaica Invitational lane offer

published: Monday | April 16, 2007

Blake - Photo by Anthony Foster

published: Monday | April 16, 2007

Blake - Photo by Anthony Foster
    Anthony Foster, Freelance Writer

Despite the fact that Yohan Blake has run 10.11 seconds - the fourth fastest time in the world this year - his coach, Danny Hawthorne, may not accept a lane offer for the Jamaica International Invitational next month.

"No, I don't think it's time for that yet, he has to take his time," Hawthorne, said when asked if he would consider an offer of a lane for Blake at the event to be held on Saturday, May 5.

Within the past two weeks Blake, a bronze medallist at last year's World Junior Championships, has shown he could be a force to reckon with among the big boys of sprinting.

Season of his life
    Blake, 17, is having the season of his life as he followed up his run of 10.21 seconds to break the Class One Champs record with 10.18 at the Carifta Games in Turks and Caicos last weekend to erase the 23-year-old National Junior record held by Raymond Stewart. He then lowered that mark again in the final with an impressive 10.11.

After the race, Trinidad and Tobago's Olympic 100m silver medallist, Ato Boldon, said: "I saw the 10.21 (on video) and I said I have to see it for myself. When I saw the 10.18, I said this boy is the real deal.
    "People are talking about him being the next Asafa ... he is going to contend with Asafa very, very soon," predicted Boldon.

It was after these performances that The Gleaner was reliably informed that the Jamaica International Invitational organisers were ready to accommodate Blake in the 100m event, but Hawthorne believes May is too early for him to be ready for such competition.

"It going to come, but it going to take some time," said Hawthorne, who is in charge of the St. Jago star'sprogress.

"I would consider it hard, but chances are that I would turn it down.
    "I am not preparing a one-day star, I try to do it incrementally," added Hawthorne, the man who also coaches the St. Jago Manning Cup team.
    Hawthorne said the focus for Blake was the National Championships in June.

"Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran
Working...
X