• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legend Lara ends Windies career

By Martin Gough
    BBC Sport in the Caribbean

Lara played 131 Tests and 297 ODIs

West Indies captain Brian Lara has announced he will retire from all international cricket after Saturday's World Cup match against England.
    Lara, who is 38 on 2 May, had already said he would quit one-dayers but was expected to play in the four-Test series in England, which begins in May.
    "On Saturday I'll be bidding farewell to international cricket as a player," he told a news conference.
    "I've already spoken to the board and my players."
    Lara is Test cricket's leading scorer with 11,953 runs from 131 Tests and holds the record for the highest Test score, an unbeaten 400 against England in Antigua in 2004.
    He captained his side in 47 Tests, winning 10, in three separate spells.
    606: DEBATE
    Give your reaction to this news

The game against England will be his 299th one-day international but marks the end of the World Cup for both sides, who have failed to qualify for the semi-finals.
    Lara's captaincy has come in for criticism but he said: "I hold West Indies cricket dear to my heart. It's been a good run and I've enjoyed every single day." Vice-captain Ramnaresh Sarwan is the most likely candidate to lead the side in the first Test against England, which begins at Lord's on 17 May. But Lara hinted at disagreements with the West Indies Cricket Board when he said: "Whoever takes over the team, it is important he gets whole-hearted support from everyone
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Interestingly the only section of the caption that appears on my screen is "Legend Lara ends Windies"!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X