RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Jamaican Coaches Want Penn Boycott?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Jamaican Coaches Want Penn Boycott?

Form Willi's T&F site

Yardman/Orlando
    Some Jamaican Coaches Want Penn Boycott?
    Thu May 3, 2007 18:18

Some Jamaican high school coaches have for some time now been quietly talking about a boycott of the Penn Relays.
    They have cited the constant changing of the rules -- which they think is aimed at limiting their success -- and the buying of top athletes to come in and beat the Jamaican schools.

They have not been able to provide an iota of proof to substantiate their accusations, but they appear to be getting more support. Time will tell whether there will be a Penn Relays ban anytime soon. But if it ever happens, America's biggest and best track meet will be the poorer for the absence of the Jamaicans.

Raquel Farquharson of STETHS (left) takes off with the baton after taking it from Tiffany Harris in the heats of the High School Girls 4x100m at the Penn Relays last Thursday. STETHS advanced to the Small Schools' finals where they placed third. /Photos: Paul Reid

For on Saturday the seven Jamaican teams in the High School Boys' Championship of America 4x100m finals at the 113th Penn Relays Carnival prompted a lot of track and field fans at Franklin Field to call it the Jamaican invitational finals.

St Jago boys, led by the irrepressible Yohan Blake, won the event in a new record 39.96 seconds, the first high school team to go under 40 seconds at Penn Relays and became the 19th Jamaican team to win the sprint relays since Kingston College won it first in 1964.
    As impressive as that was, the girls were even better, winning the 4x100m Championships 25 times with Vere Technical the record holders leading the way with 14 plaques, including five straight between 1996 and 2000.

Add dozens of other relay and individual titles and one starts to get an understanding of the impact the Jamaican high schools and lately the college teams have had on the oldest and most respected track meet in the United States.

Since 2000 the organisers have added another component, USA vs the Rest of the World relays series.
    However, as Philadelphia Inquirer columnist, Sam Carhidi, acknowledged in his piece on Sunday, it might as well be renamed USA vs Jamaica.

Over 46,000 paying fans turned up for Saturday's final day that featured the relays between the national teams, at least 25,000 appeared to be Jamaicans, many of whom plan the three-day meet into the must do list each April.

Every time a Jamaican team, whether national or high school team, steps on the track, the energy in the old stadium picks up a pace or three as the Jamaicans roar their delight.

These ovations are not lost on the athletes, as 2006's fastest woman, Sherone Simpson, told a press conference on Friday, they motivate her to run faster. The Americans feed off the energy of the Jamaicans too. In describing the crowd's reaction to the Jamaican women's Sprint Medley team's dropping the baton, Hazel Clarke, a member of the US Sprint Medley team, said "it was as if the entire stands kind of went hush".

Said Clarke: "The Jamaican crowds really get me going. Their energy almost makes you lose your mind."

Another US runner, Miki Barber, described the Jamaican crowd.
    "It's as if they're the loudest ones here-and they have the most here - and they make everyone run faster."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Re: Some Jamaican Coaches Want Penn Boycott?

Could it be we go a little mad at times? Has the excitement and successes generated have us forgetting we are not the 'owners'?

I think of the Scripps Spelling Bee and now this "Penn Issue" - why would 'owners' modifying their rules have us thinking boycott? Should we not consider that modifying their rules to put 'the outside threat' at a disadvantage...as on a level playing field the locals are finding it hard to compete...the thing to do? ...and, is that not a compliment to us?

The aim, I would think, should be finding ways to overcome? Right? ..to continue on defeating the 'locals'? Right?

Ooooh yes, there are times when removing self to return with greater determination, smarter strategy and a formula that ensures wins is good...but, it may just be the end of a good thing if we withdraw?

Oh the University of Pennsylvania would have a dip in ticket sales...but, would the organisers not then huddle and work to come up with plans to 'rise' again?
    ...and, trust me believing one is indispensible has always proven to be a mistake.

Boycott? No!
    As long as we are allowed to compete ...work harder and remain successful! The successes that come our athletes' way is worth the effort!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What baloney!

"They have cited the constant changing of the rules -- which they think is aimed at limiting their success -- and the buying of top athletes to come in and beat the Jamaican schools."

As if our coaches don't "buy" athletes too!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nonononono.

The buying they are talking about is the paying for flights, room and Board!!!

This entire thing is about the fact that we are the stars, we pull more than half the crowd and our bruk pocket scholers get NOTHING!!!

Penn paying for Cali schools to come try beat us and for college teams and we the idiots pay our way there to after the uncertainty of getting visas.

Donkey seh world nuh lebble.

Comment

I see!

That would not be reason enuff to boycott the meet.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            Nonononono.

The buying they are talking about is the paying for flights, room and Board!!!

This entire thing is about the fact that we are the stars, we pull more than half the crowd and our bruk pocket scholers get NOTHING!!!

Penn paying for Cali schools to come try beat us and for college teams and we the idiots pay our way there to after the uncertainty of getting visas.

Donkey seh world nuh lebble.
            Willi? Willi? Willi?

Remember it is not our devine right to be there...and, yes we can stay away.

Remember also that we get a lot of exposure for the country and our young athletes and the benefits that have accrued to those our athletes over the years.

BTW - Some of our coaches have snagged 'nice' jobs in the good ole USA on getting the exposure PENN brought.

Comment

that a true Willi but what alternative do we have?

Try and get a better deal but work with the program until we have something better. Going to Penn is something most of these ahtlete look forward to after performing good at Boys and girls.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Huh??

Penn has no divine right to us.

I repeat, if 30K of the 46K are Jakans, it is a Jakan event in all but name.

Also, there are other relays we could patronize in the US and get a beter deal.

Comment

So I guess we must see US schools get subsidy to come and we bruk prockets have to go deeper in debt or scrounge to make the event look good?

There are other relays like Drake, etc.

I dont understand this defeatist attitude.

Comment

If Penn can pay flights room and board for Long Beach Poly and the Colleges, they can at leat offer a Pot of mony to ISSA to distribute as they see fit to HSchools in Jamaica to susbsidize the trip.

I am at a loss to understand how come you guys cant see the unfairness staring us in the face. Penn had steadfastly denied the susbsidy to US schools, but in several interviews the schools themselves have confirmed it.

Samfie business a gwaan.

Comment

Its called mental slavery , America understands value for money , which we more than give them , we deserve more than what we get and we should ask for more , no doubt Erwin Claire is doing the negotiating on our behalf already .

I should also add we have outgrown that venue as a patrons , its small , too small to hold our populace, a different venue will have to be erected in 5 years and its all because of our support.

From a section behind the finish line 10 years ago to 3/4 of the stadium.I dont think some of you guys understand how much this thing has grown.Even the telecast has to be revamped.
                      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Tenk yuh sah!

Comment

Willi it is unfair yes. It is easy for X and them to claim mental slavery. The fact is we sit on our asses and do nothing and then claim that the man them nah do nothing fi we.

We have such a strong contingent and it should be the basis for negociations. If the coaches or the JAAA get involved and put their demand on the table then things might be different but just to say we going to pull out, where is these kids going to get a yearly international meet like this one to perform? They can get alternative but if you look clearly nobody is talking about that.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                            So I guess we must see US schools get subsidy to come and we bruk prockets have to go deeper in debt or scrounge to make the event look good?

There are other relays like Drake, etc.

I dont understand this defeatist attitude.
                            That it would be nice to be subsidised is a fact...but, I am for finding ways to fund ourselves.

Perhaps, negotiation for subsidies would bring us some funds? ...but, 'cut off yuh nose fi spite yuh face' is self-defeating. The PENN Relays were there before Jamacian schools took part. The Jamaicans have shown what can be done. Why would the organisers of PENN fold because we ran away and sulked? Does not make sense to me.

In the short term on our withdrawal a see the organisers putting out more effort to bring in other US teams. In fact, if I sat in their shoes and hearing the talk of boycott by the Jamaican schools I would be making plans...to reduce dependence on the Jamaican schools.

Who knows the coaches may get what they want - a withdrawal of invitations to Jamaican school?

Comment

A bet you some a the same coaches them woulda back bite pon them one another?

The need to have an offical qualified group, or the JAAA negociate on their behalf.

Comment

Working...
                              X