Penn Relays Boycott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn Relays Boycott

If I may, I'm going to start a new thread on this because the other one is getting kinda long.

I would now support a boycott of the Penn Relays. But I don't thnk we should call it that. Just not show up for a few years and see what happens. Trust me, Karl, Penn needs us more than we need them. Our athletes aren't getting scholarships from the Penn Relays. Those are wrapped up from even the Gibson Relays which can rival Penn any day. In fact, we need to push to have a more international Gibson Relays. Some other countries do take part but there is an absence of American teams. They should be invited. If they come, great, if they don't, their loss!

PENNy wise and foolish is right, Willi!

And let's not in any way belittle the work of Irwin Clare. He can make as much an impact as any official from the JAAA.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Re: Penn Relays Boycott

Mosiah first thing is I bet you half of the teams will not boycott anything.

second is who is belittling the work of Mr.Clair? Stop talk crap. He is putting himself up but as usual he doesn't even get half the support he should get from our community. The fact is he alone can't do it, A coaches association or the JAAA have to get involved. He can't negociate for them without their valid imput and active participation. He is not a part of the coaching or any track association at best can only be a third party looking out for what he think is their best interest but they the coaches and school have to define it and be pro active.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Whoa! You seem to have taken the Irwin Clare thing personal. It was not directed at anyone in particular. Relax.

Of course he would need the backing of the "authorities", but that should be no problem.

And I agree. Like most issues in Jamaica, don't expect the parties to act with one voice. Some will refuse to see the big picture, and others will label it as a JLP thing! Stay deh laff!

The thought of putting a local meet like the Gibson Relays on par with the Penn Relays - egads!

On a side, I've often wondered how we accept that Penn Relays shield. Some very odd characters are parading around on that thing!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Rubbish!!! Utter garbage...remember Penn Relays is 113 years old and has survived several crises even two World Wars and you think us not going there will stop it???

You lick you head...

Yes we make a serious contribution to the Relays but it has only been in the last 15 years or so that Jamaican people have being going there in such large numbers...we used to go there but not in such quantities...

I recall going to Penn Relays in the mid 1980s and there were maybe 200 Jamaicans in the stands.

Remember there are other meets in the US like the Drake Relays and Texas Relays that we dont go to which are big successess...
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

So, it is 113 years old. What?!?!

We should respect it and go there at all costs because it is 113 years old.

Okay!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Huh?

If 30K out of 46K are Jakans then it means that any sudden withdrawal and the who thing flops.

We have a powerful bargaining position if we speak with one voice.

Mutual Life was much older than Penn Relays and where it deh now?

Comment

Agreed.

People forget that bruk pocket Jakan schools are PAYING full costs to go there every year, which richer American schools are given subsidies. Hello, no one sees anything wrong with this?

What Donkey seh bout the world again?

Comment

Mutual Life flop? And mi still a send dem mi money?!? Mi nah stop send dem, cause dem older dan 113 years old!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Americans would be the first people to cry foul if the Jamaican govt. paid for our 5 best schools to attend every year.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Let me use Mannings for example...they said they couldnt afford to compete at Western Champs which was held in Santa Cruz and Montego Bay.,..roughly an hour away from Sav la Mar, both ways. Yet they had a full team at Penn Relays when the cost of one Penn Relays ticket could have gotten them to Western Champs and back.

At Penn they bombed badly, being diusquyalifie din the 'Large Schools;' final and failing to make it to the 4x400m finals- was the costs incurred worth it?

What is my point? Penn Relays attendance is optional, you dont have to go...This year Munro stayed home despite winning the 'Small schools' 4x100 finals twice in the last four years- they did not think they had a good enouhg team based on what happned earlier in the season.

One year we had Pembrook Hall boys team running 53 seconds for the 4x100m- dsigraceful.

This is not the period where all the coaches would come to Penn only to scout, the coaches are coming here now, even to Western Champs and there are many boys and girls who I personally know who never been to Penn but have either finished thei degrees or working on them now...

I am forced to agree with Karl...Penn Relays are owners and we go there if we can afford to and to do well.
                    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

I actually know the coach who started this. His school is one of the luckiest in the island interms of getting sponsorship but he is always bawling for more as if the entire country is obligated to fund what is their own personal thing.

The fact is that none of his athletes have left his school and gone directly to a NCAA Div 1, 2 or three schools as they dont do any work in class room.

Up till now, now of them have performed at any level other than high school
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

I do think any sensible Jamaican or any lover of our T&F would suggest...even think it for a minute....that we could not approach those who provide sponsorship dollars to schools attending PENN to put up some 'dollars' for our Jamaica schools...

...sure negotiate for sponsorship dollars...but, this garrulous suss-suss/cass-cass about boycott is just that 'street corner' fare.

You do not 'jump up and block road' without first engaging in dignified discussions/negotiations of/on possible solutions to any problems and or disagreements you may have. The PENN RELAYS are not ours to make demands. Rational approaches must be the way to go.

I do not care who those coaches are who have suggested the 'new Jamaica block road' route - dem a hee-di-hat!

Aside: Where does the money come from to subsidise the US teams? Is there any injection of funds by US companies and or other US entities separate and apart from funds coming out of PENN State accounts?

Who among the Jamaica coaches are privy to info on the source of funds used to assist US based teams?
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl, you are doing here the same thing you accuse others of doing regarding what Bucknor said about coaching.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            Karl, you are doing here the same thing you accuse others of doing regarding what Bucknor said about coaching.
                            Perhaps you are right?
                            ...but, how so?
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Madness!

Jamaicans are the stars of the show.

Nothing else matters.

No one is saying that boycott should be the FIRST option, however it seems like you "fraid" ah the yankee dem.

Comment

Working...
                              X