Is what duh Sherone Simpson?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is what duh Sherone Simpson?!?

For such a loquacious individual, I'm surprised she didn't want to speak with the media after this loss. I hope Stephen Francis can set har straight! Yes, I did say Franno!

Veronica Campbell makes impressive return
    published: Monday | May 7, 2007

Jamaica's Veronica Campbell (left) and the United States' Marshevet Hooker lunge as they cross the finish line in the women's 100 metres at the fourth annual Jamaica International Invitational athletics meeting at the National Stadium on Saturday night. Campbell (11.07) won ahead of Hooker (11.08). - Ian Allen/Staff Photographer
    Anthony Foster, [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Freelance [COLOR=orange! important]Writer[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Jamaicans Veronica Campbell, Kenia Sinclair, Brigitte Foster-Hylton and Melaine Walker were in impressive form at Saturday night's fourth annual [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] International Invitational athletics meet at the National Stadium.
    However, the world's top female sprinter, Sherone Simpson, suffered an unexpected loss as she placed second in the women's 200 metres.
    Apart from Simpson's 200m defeat to American Rachelle Smith, who clocked 22.65 to win, Campbell, Sinclair, Foster-Hylton and Walker posted world leading times at the meet, which is one of a select group of Area Permit meets at which points can be earned for qualification to the International Association of Athletics Federation's (IAAF) World Athletics Final.
    After her defeat, Simpson, who was second in 22.76, refused to speak to local and overseas journalists, even host broadcasters CVM [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]television[/COLOR][/COLOR].
    MOST PLEASING
    Meanwhile, the victory in a world-leading 11.07 seconds by Campbell, who was plagued with injuries for much of last season, could be considered as the most pleasing for the local fans.
    In her last 100m appearance, she ended second in 11.11 behind the United States' Marion Jones (11.06) on June 3 last year.
    Though she never got the best of starts, Campbell recovered to demonstrate her strength in the last half of the race to beat American Marshevet Hooker (11.08) in a close finish.
    The former Vere Technical, Barton Junior College and Arkansas standout was pleased with her performance, especially after beating the previous world best of 11.10 held by compatriot Kerron Stewart.
    "It's almost a year since I have not run a 100m, so I have to give thanks. I am really happy that I could come out here today and take this win."
    She also spoke of her start, saying: "I always have a very good finish, that part has been going well. I was a bit hesitant at the start, I did not [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]nail[/COLOR][/COLOR] it as I wanted but I am quite happy."
    Commenting on the injury which ruled her out of the latter part of last season, Campbell said: "I am not at 100 per cent, but it (injury) is not bothering me too much where I cannot compete, so I am grateful for that."
    Two other Jamaicans, Shelly-Ann Fraser (11.47) and former national champion Peta-Gaye Dowdie (11.48) were sixth and seventh respectively.
    WIN AT HOME
    In the women's 800m, Sinclair benefitted from running with a 'rabbit' and crossed the line in a stadium record 1:59.19 seconds ahead of Guyana's Marion Burnett (2:01.53).
    Though she wanted to run 1:58 Sinclair, who beat Australian Tamsyn Lewis' previous world best of 2:00.71, said the most important thing was to win at home.
    "When I come to Jamaica and just want to win, because it would be bad to get beaten at home, so when I step on the track I just go out with a winning attitude," said Sinclair, who is without a coach after the death of Tom Jones.
    "I wanted to run 1:58, I positioned myself to, but my last 200m was not that strong. I am happy with the time I ran because this is my best opening so far, so I am happy," added Sinclair, who is dedicating her performances this season to coach Jones.
    In the 400m hurdles, national champion Walker ran 55.21 seconds to beat compatriot Shevon Stoddart (55.53), while World Junior champion Kaleise Spencer ( 56.16) was fourth and Michelle Burgher (57.53) a distant sixth.
    Foster-Hylton came out on top of the women's sprint hurdles in 12.71 seconds ahead of Canadian 2003 world champion Perdita Felicien (12.75 ), who posed a threat from start to finish.
    RIVALRY
    Foster-Hylton, the national champion, said the rivalry between Felicien and herself helped, though she was not worried about anybody.
    "Felicien is a tough competitor and we have this rivalry going back from Paris' World Championships and I know she is in great shape. Last year she did not have a good season, but she said she is coming back this year with a vengeance, so I know she is on top of her game, so I am just excited to be in good form," she said.
    Foster-Hylton added: "Today the hurdling was a little bit messy. I am not pleased with the start but it's the first one. I am fit and strong, but just need to clean up some things and then I am good to go," she added.
    As for Felicien, she was pleased with the end result.
    "I am happy with it, but there is a lot to improve on, I am sure for Brigitte as well," said the 2003 world champion.
    "I think the beginning was a little bit weak, but the middle was pretty strong, I need to work on not hitting hurdles," added the Canadian.
    In the men's 100m, Jamaica's World Championships silver medallist Michael Frater was beaten in second place by training partner, Trinidad & Tobago's Darrell Brown, who won in 10.02.
    Lerone Clarke and Nester Carter, third and fourth respectively, posted personal best times of 10.15 seconds, while Dwight Thomas was fifth in 10.18.
    Frater was pleased with the run.
    "I feel like I am in very good shape, just a bad execution of the race. Very, very aweful first 50, but after that I felt myself coming back."
    He added: "It's my first race of the season so I can only get better from here ... 10.13 for a season opener is not bad for me."
    World Junior 200m record holder Usain Bolt secured a personal best in the men's 400m, but his time of 45.25, was only good for third behind Americans Lashaun Merritt ( 44.95) Andrew Rock (45.21).
    In the women's equivalent, Novelene Williams (50.87) was second behind American Dee Dee Trotter in 50.57. Shericka Williams (51.67), Ronetta Smith ( 52.47), Sonita Sutherland (52.79), Nadia Cunningham (53.74) and Nadia Davy (54.38) were fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth respectively.
    Tyson Gay the fourth fastest 200m runner of all-time (19.68 - 2006), was impressive as he dominated the half-lap from start to finish in a world leading 19.97. Jamaica's 2001 World Championships silver medallist Chris Williams (20.67) was second, while Commonwealth Games gold medallist Omar Brown ( 21.13) and Ainsley Waugh (21.18) were fourth and fifth respectively.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Re: Is what duh Sherone Simpson?!?

Same thing that has caused the downfall of many of these people...some thing our grand parents called being 'cockaty'..she has had ONE decent seaosn and thinks she has arrived...in my career I have seen many of them come back begging the press for even a mention.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko!!!

One swallow does not a Summer make.

Dont jump to conclusions, and dont extrapolate.

Just as Asafa threw down the flowers in Brussels last year and followe up with an apology to the flowergirl, I think that the management will have any damage control in full effect before too long.

We have to be careful not to kill our own.

Comment

Or looked at another way - our athletes have to be careful that they don't kill their own careers!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What will kill her career is not performing well on the track.

Look at Carl Lewis, real SOB, but because he won, he had a successful career.

Comment

Sorry Willi but this pattern of behavior did not start this year or last year, she has turned off a lot of people who get the chance to see her upclose on a regular basis.

Dont know if you were at Penn this year but those who saw the baton drop thought it was her fault and when I saw her afterwards she did not look upset in the very least.

I have not had as much contact with her over the years but every time I see her she is acting quite the Prima Donna and brushing past people who even dare to ask for an autograph or even a question.
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Its something we do well Willi Kill our own , esp the media
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I heard her in an interview after that meet, and she said she was very tired. She ran at Penns and when she came back she had an exam either the Wednesday or the Thursday of the same week. She was up late studying and she did not get much rest. I would like to think that she was just tired, grumpy and ****************ed at her performance.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

No excuse for her actions!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                  X