Benitez suggests Gerrard for role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benitez suggests Gerrard for role

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh></DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV><DIV class=cap></DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Rafael Benitez has recommended his club skipper Steven Gerrard for the England captaincy - but Steve McClaren is keeping his choice for the job secret.

New England boss McClaren is set to name the new captain of the national team on Friday.

"I asked McClaren who would be the next England captain, but was told nothing, he just smiled at me," said Benitez.

"I think Steven would do it well, it would be very good for him. But now he must think about our next game."

That next match for Liverpool is the Champions League third qualifying round first-leg tie against Maccabi Haifa on Wednesday.

Two days after that first competitive game of the new season, Gerrard or one of his rivals John Terry or Gary Neville will be named England captain.

"It will be good for Gerrard even if it is more work for him. We will have to wait for a decision," Benitez said.

"He can certainly do the England job, but in the end it is not our decision and he should just be focused on what Liverpool are doing."

The Spaniard also revealed he was impressed by McClaren's plan for England.

"Steve and me talked about the future for England, the team, it was a good conversation between two friends about football," said Benitez.

"What was interesting was that he had a clear idea, a plan, and he knows what he wants to do. He is clever and knows how to handle this." </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Benitez suggests Gerrard for role

I for onemost certainly think Stevie G should be the captain.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X