US based organization says Jamaica’s economic future is grim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US based organization says Jamaica’s economic future is grim

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=news_byline>US based organization says Jamaica’s economic future is grim</TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 9px"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=news_summary><TABLE cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=news_summary>The Washington based Council on Hemispheric Affairs (COHA) says Jamaica faces a somber future unless urgent steps are taken to correct its economic imbalances.

<SPAN class=news_body>In a report released Wednesday it questions the country's economic policies in particular debt servicing and exchange rate policy.

It also calls for a greater emphasis on education.

The report goes on to suggest that Jamaica may be forced to follow Argentina by renouncing its debt to avoid going bankrupt.

The report was written by Michelle Sheckleford, a Jamaican who is an associate of the Council on Hemispheric Affairs.

“A lot of the macroeconomic policies that are being implemented so far, especially with regards to exchange rate devaluation, is a serious trade off because it hikes up the price of very essential imports such as oil and this makes a lot of stuff very very expensive,” said Michelle Sheckleford, a COHA research associate.

The Council on Hemispheric Affairs, which was founded in 1975, describes itself as an independent, non-profit, non-partisan, tax-exempt research and information organization.
    </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

RE: US based organization says Jamaica’s economic future is grim

Careful! Clown College graduate will claim yuh have an agenda. Anyway, Omar say him not worried. Imagine the plane out of control, desending rapidly and the pilot a tell yuh fi remain calm, while him sweating?

Luckily him have the likes of Karl and Jawge as him cheerleaders.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

As one good man said, "rumour of her (Jamaica's)demise is greatly exaggerated"!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Lazie, ever heard of this organisation, who they are etc...do some googling nuh? Funny that they should come with the doom and gloom predictions when the more established organsisations gave a more positive one only last week.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Damn ... mi say mi ago stop post such articles as the powers that be nuh want it, pity.

Fitch gave us a B+ rating ... stable .. BUT BELOW INVESTMENT GRADE!!!

Moody's gave us a similiar rating. Why? Because of our commitment to servicing the debt. Pity dem nuh know its not because they want to, its because they have to. Read the constitution.

If you see that as positive, then, you easily impressed. Why did the IDB cut off funding to Jamaica? Oh the PIOJ man say otherwise ... I guess unuh gonna tek him word for it?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

what more positive outlook? What is a B and Ba rating? Any country will tell you that is not a good rating. Our debt is in relation to GDP is only surpass by Lebonan based on what the credit rating said.

The only good thing is we have a politically stable country or else we would be getting Fs.

Read the reports again and tell me if they are positive.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

also read the IDB report too

Comment

Working...
              X