• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novlene plots Sanya upset

Novlene plots Sanya upset <DIV class=KonaBody>

Anthony Foster, Freelance Writer

( L - R ) Novlene Williams and Sanya Richards - file photos

National 400m champion Novlene Williams has her eyes set on upstaging Jamaican-born American Sanya Richards and it could be at this weekend's 4th IAAF World Athletics Final in Stuttgart, Germany.

Williams will enter yet another tough battle with Richards, the world leader and World Championships silver medallist, who has not lost a race this year.

However, Williams said she is in no rush to get the better of the American.

"I will take it one day at a time, and I know one day it (win) will happen," said Williams.

"I just ask God for strength and whatever he has for me, I know I will get it," she continued.

Williams, 24, has been having her best season this year which saw her run a personal best 49.64 seconds and is the fourth fastest woman this year behind Richards (49.05), Belgian Vania Stambolova (49.53) and Russian Olga Zaytestva (49.99).

The former UniversityofFlorida and Ferncourt High standout, said she is targeting another sub-50 second run this weekend.

"I want to run 49, whatever place it gives me, I will take it," she said.

"However, if I don't run sub-50 and win, I will take that too."

Williams also has the national record of 49.30 in her sights which is held by Lorraine Fenton. But Williams believes giving a time when she may get the record would be premature.

"If it comes this year, I will take it, but I am not going to set a date as to when I will break it," she said.

"It's towards the end of the season, and I am tired, but if I train like this next season, I am looking forward to it."

POWELL RACES TOO

Meanwhile, several other Jamaican athletes, including Asafa Powell, will be chasing a US$130,000 payday this weekend, but only if they break world records.

The IAAF has announced a total prize purse of $3,020,000 for the competitors in each of the 36 events.

Athletes setting a world record will be awarded $100,000 while first-place finishers will receive $30,000, second-place $20,000 and third-place $12,000.

Powell, who equalled his own world record twice this year, first at the Gateshead Grand Prixon June 11, then on August 18 in Zurich, is heavily tipped to win the men's 100m.

Powell will face Americans Shawn Crawford, Leonard Scott, Marcus Brunson, and Tyson Gay, along withPortugal'sFrancis Obikwelu, Frenchman Ronald Pognon and Marc Burns of Trinidad and Tobago.

In the women's 100m, Sherone Simpson will face Me'Lisa Barber, Torri Edwards, Stephanie Durst, and Lolo Jones of U.S., along with Debbie Ferguson of Bahamas, Kim Gevaert of Belgium and France's Veronique Mang.

Simpson will also contest the women's 200m where she is expected to face World Champion Allyson Felix while Usain Bolt and Christopher Williams are listed to face Americans Gay and Wallace Spearmon in the men's 200m.

Michael Blackwood awaits Jeremy Wariner, LaShawn Merritt and Andrew Rock, all of the US, along with Brandon Simpson of Bahrain in the men's 400m.

Brigitte Foster-Hylton will challenge Michelle Perry, Jones and Canadian Perdita Felicien in the women's 100m hurdles

Danny McFarlane and Kemel Thompson will face Americans Bershawn Jackson and James Carter in the 400m hurdles

World triple jump champion Trecia Smith, national 800m champion Kenia Sinclair, 400m runner Shericka Williams and Olympic long jump silver medallist James Beckford are the other Jamaicans down to compete. </DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Novlene plots Sanya upset

<H1>$3 Million Prize Money at Stake in Stuttgart - IAAF World Athletics Final</H1><P class=newsDate>Wednesday 6 September 2006

Stuttgart, Germany - A total prize purse of $3,020,000 will be paid by the IAAF at this weekend’s 4th IAAF World Athletics Final, 9 -10 September 2006 in Stuttgart, Germany for the following finishers in each of the 36 events:

(all amounts are in US$)

Places / Prize*
    1st 30,000
    2nd 20,000
    3rd 12,000
    4th 7000
    5th 5000
    6th 4000
    7th 3000
    8th 2000

Athletes competing in 1500m, 5000m, 3000m, 3000m Steeplechase who finish from 9th to 12th place will receive prize money of US $1000 each.

World Record Bonus

Any Athletes surpassing a World Record in the World Athletics Final will be awarded* US $100,000.

IAAF
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X