• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security at UHWI

Security at UHWI
    published: Monday | September 11, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Garth Rattray

About two years ago, a very good friend and colleague called me because her mother fell ill in church. Suspecting cardiac ischaemia (heart muscle starving for blood), I advised her to go to the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) Accident and Emergency department (A&amp;E) immediately.

An A&amp;E security guard stopped my friend and her mom at the door and announced that only wheelchair and stretcher cases were being allowed inside. My friend told him that she was a doctor, gave her name and explained that her mother was having chest pains, but the guard still refused them entry. My friend then told him that he didn't understand that her mother was very ill, having chest painsand needed to see a doctor inside quickly, but he responded by telling her that she didn't understand what he said about his not granting them entry.

Forced to leave

Fearing for her mother's life, she terminated her futile effort and hurriedly took her to the Medical Associates Hospital Casualty where she was seen immediately, stabilised and treated appropriately. My friend later complained to the administration that security guards were sorting patients according to their urgent need for care (triaging) at the A&amp;E entrance. She only received the usual placatory statements.

I know of several other similar cases and, at least one involved a doctor who was going into a life-threatening crisis situation but was refused entry by a security guard who didn't think that she looked sick enough. She rushed to the casualty department at Andrew's Memorial Hospital for life-saving treatment.

On one occasion a guard pronounced that the grandmother of a patient of mine was dead and refused to have her taken into A&amp;E. Failing to convince him otherwise, my patient scooped up her grandmother and rushed past the guard. The doctors diagnosed hypoglycaemic coma.

Just three weekends ago, a friend/patient became extremely ill so I called the UHWI A&amp;E and spoke (at length) to a doctor on duty. When he arrived, he was stopped by the security guard. His wife pointed out that he was extremely ill and that a doctor had spoken to an A&amp;E duty doctor who was expecting him.

The guard obstinately refused my very ill patient passage into the facility but (just before that argument got started) he allowed another gentleman to pass. When asked how it was that he let in that other gentleman, the guard stated that he had appendicitis. Asked how he came to such a diagnosis, the guard explained that the man was leaning over and holding his side!

Pulling strings

My patient (like several others in the past) eventually got the care that he needed because someone called a UHWI board member and strings were pulled. A hospital should be the last place on earth where who you know and who you are mean far more than what's wrong with you. This surely is a very serious indictment.

I dread to think of how many little unknown people have been turned away at the door of the A&amp;E because some security guard is (in effect) practising medicine. I wonder how many people have suffered because they had no one to call on for help.

As stated last week, calling or writing to the administration for change is absolutely pointless. I only hope that this exposure will get the Ministry of Health involved and end the triaging by security guards immediately.

Dr. Garth A. Rattray is a medical doctor with a family practice. </DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Security at UHWI

My guess would be the security guards have been working there for at least three weeks so they assume they are qualified to diagnose anyone who comes there.

Happens all the time, There wa sone at a place I used to work who used to tell me where story should lead the sports cast.

I have always wondered about this dilema, who becomes a security guard? In my mind this is a last resort job as in most cases it is only when one is hard up and ccant get anything else they resort to finding a job as a security guard.

Then the paradox is that they are put in places where they would not normally be qualified and worst some are even given guns????

How can this be????
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

In this regard, it is obvious that the GUARDS need training. On every occasion that they flaunt their authority, their names should be taken and reported to the administrative powers that be so that corrective disciplinary action can be institued against them.

If their action causes a patient to die at the entrance to the hospital, expect lawsuits.

..but then again, put IDIOTS in uniform, and they think they've arrived, not to mention giving them a gun. Is a wonder no-one has been shot yet.
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Where have you been, security guards have shot many persons and not all of the occasions they have been under any attacks either.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

<DIV>I can't begin to tell yuh how dis vex mi! I already view our hospitals as places one goes to die, and not necessarily peacefully either. A family member just got out of the hospital today and its reason alone to rejoice. The fact that I had a personal friend on the wards must have helped, because these days, if yuh don't know a doctor in the institution, yuh cahnah dark!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>As for these security guards - the only reason why a person becomes a security guard is because they do not qualify to do anything else under the sun. The one thing they have going for them is at least they want to work. But how do we allow these dunces to decide who sees a doctor and who doesn't?!?!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>And as for Jamaica's medical fraternity, our doctors and nurses - hope to God that Rico becomes nothing like the majority of them and that the other doctors on the forum take a look at themselves and see whether they have also become pompous and rude.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Don't get sick in Jamaica if you can avoid it. Your troubles multiply several-fold once you get to the hospital.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X