• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaches top five

Coaches top five
    Howard Walker
    Saturday, September 15, 2007

A survey by Sporting World conducted on several coaches reveal that Bridgeport, Calabar, Waterford, Norman Manley and St George's College are considered to be the top teams to watch and most likely, the eventual winners.

Interestingly, three of the fancied teams - Bridgeport, Norman Manley and St George's College are from Group D.
    Other teams like Wolmer's, Excelsior, Tivoli Gardens, and Kingston College should be thereabout.

Waterford High
    Coach Flloyd Coke: We have recognised from last year that we have under achieved. We thought that we could have done better. With the cohesion of the team and the obvious talent that we boost there is no compensation other than winning the title. Us being favourites is not added pressure, but something we want to wear from the get go.

Pre-season: Waterford have retained all of their starting 11 from last season and in nine pre-season games, they won five, drawn two and lost two. They have beaten Kingston College 5-0, Bridgeport 5-3, Glengoffe 4-0, Marcus Garvey 7-0 and Ocho Rios High 3-2. Drew 0-0 with Bridgeport twice, while losing to Waterhouse premier league team 1-4 and Bridgeport High 0-1.

Players to watch: Andre Derby, Odaine Martin, Anthony Stitchell, Conrad White, Mark Walters, Peter Harrison and Ryan Mattis.

Bridgeport High
    Coach Anthony Patrick: If we can win this zone we have a very good chance of going all the way.

Pre-season: Bridgeport have lost several of their pre-season games - 0-3 and 0-1 to Clarendon College and Seaforth High, respectively, Waterford 3-5, 0-7 to Harbour View Under-21s and 1-9 to Waterhouse Premier League team.

Players to watch: Andre Steele, Andre Clennon, Theo Brown, Kirk Garrick, Adrian King, Nicoy Christian and Jason Watson

They edged Kingston College 3-2, Waterford 1-0, Ocho Rios High 1-0, whipped Ewarton High 4-0 and eked out a close 1-0 win over the Boys' Town's Under-21 team.

Norman Manley
    Coach Alrick Clarke: We have a good chance just like every body and once we execute on the day it shouldn't be difficult. I have not seen the teams, but we are expected to qualify and we are working towards that. Our aim is to get out of the zone and see what happens then.

Pre-season: Defeated Old Harbour and Edith Dalton James 2-0; Knox College 3-1, business house team, Jamaica National 3-0 and drew 1-1 with Spalding High. Their only defeat came at the hands of Manchester High 2-4.

Players to watch: Jamali Spence, Kimarly Brissett, Dale Gayle and Ricardo Bennett.

St George's College
    Coach Neville 'Bertis' Bell: I have no idea because I haven't seen any body other than the teams we played. This is the first time I can remember you have five Manning Cup winners in one zone. I hear everybody is good, but I think we will be competitive and I am confident that we will do well.

Pre-season: STGC have retained six starting players and had a decent pre-season winning four games, drawing one and losing one. They lost to Excelsior 2-3, drawn 1-1 with Wolmer's, while dispatching Glenmuir 2-1, Munro 3-1, KC 1-0 and Camperdown 4-2.

Players to watch: Shaemar Shelton, Kamal Malcolm, Jabari Wallace, Aaron Spence, Miguel Christie, Devon Smith and Orville Anderson.

Calabar
    Coach David Hunt: No comment on his team's chances.

Pre-season: Definitely one of the favourites, but have only played two pre-season games, demolishing Jamaica College 7-0 and beating Innswood 3-1.

Players to watch: Up to press time coach Hunt could not definitely say how many players he would retain, but nevertheless his squad was laden with several members of Jamaica's national Under-17 team and will be a force to be reckoned with.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post

Pre-season: STGC have retained six starting players and had a decent pre-season winning four games, drawing one and losing one. They lost to Excelsior 2-3, drawn 1-1 with Wolmer's, while dispatching Glenmuir 2-1, Munro 3-1, KC 1-0 and Camperdown 4-2.

Players to watch: Shaemar Shelton, Kamal Malcolm, Jabari Wallace, Aaron Spence, Miguel Christie, Devon Smith and Orville Anderson.
    Luton's little brother, quite a handful. He is fast, skilful and has a decent shot for his diminutive size. And Karl, if yuh tink Luton don't play team, don't even think about Shaemar!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

where is campion?!!! the pundits will rue the day the overlooked the red and white!!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Luton's little brother, quite a handful. He is fast, skilful and has a decent shot for his diminutive size. And Karl, if yuh tink Luton don't play team, don't even think about Shaemar!
        ...but, just lacka Luton...im cyan larn!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X