Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downswell walks the Plank

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

<SPAN class=TopStory></SPAN><SPAN class=TopStory></SPAN><SPAN class=TopStory>Let wait to see who they bring in.</SPAN>

<SPAN class=TopStory>GAME OVER! .........Downswell quits as national head coach</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline>Sources cite Brown as interim coach of Reggae Boyz</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Observer Reporter
    Wednesday, August 09, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=365 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>DOWNSWELL... I have accomplished much with limited resources </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>LESS than two years after being appointed head coach of the national senior football team, as well as other national outfits, Wendell Downswell has resigned from the job.<P class=StoryText align=justify>According to a Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) release yesterday, following meetings between president Crenston Boxhill and Downswell, the JFF accepted the latter's letter of resignation, which took effect last Friday.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The JFF said this move was in keeping with the decision to restructure its technical department.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"With the limited resources, look at what I have accomplished...," Downswell said yesterday.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=165 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>BROWN... was sacked as technical director in 2004</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>"...Yes, we might have gotten some healthy beatings in the last part... that is somewhat disappointing, but if you look at the success at the regional level and both at the Caribbean and the CONCACAF levels, we have done relatively well," Downswell said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"When I assumed the responsibility as the national head coach - of course I didn't apply for the job as it was entrusted upon me - and at the time I think the federation was in a precarious position and I think I did a satisfactory work in terms of getting us back," he added.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Downswell, who was given the job on November 22, 2004, four days after former technical director Carl Brown was sacked, is proud of his accomplishments during his tenure.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"We have won the Digicel Cup, we won the Under-15 Caribbean Championships... the female team - they did well and we qualified for the CAC Games and now the Pan Am Games. I think the foundation has been laid and it's just for us now to build on what we are seeing here," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Quizzed as to who would be his successor, Downswell said, "I'm not certain who will be the replacement," but he expressed a willingness to assist in whatever capacity the JFF might deem necessary.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Co-incidentally, the Observer's usually reliable sources claim that Downswell could be replaced by the man he replaced - Brown - with three international friendlies against Canada (September 4 away and October 8 at home) and Peru on November 15 at home.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Sources say Brown is being considered for the post on an interim basis, as the JFF is yet to conclude a deal for a permanent head coach. It is not certain if Brown is aware of the JFF's intention.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Our sources further indicate that the Crenston Boxhill-led JFF is leaning towards Argentinian Jose Pekerman to fill the post of head coach. He guided his country t

RE: Downswell walks the Plank

<P class=StoryText align=justify>
    "Co-incidentally, :ermm: the Observer's usually reliable sources claim that Downswell could be replaced by the man he replaced - Brown - with three international friendlies against Canada (September 4 away and October 8 at home) and Peru on November 15 at home.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Sources (Is this the same USUALLY RELIABLE SOURCE ?) say Brown is being considered for the post on an interim basis, as the JFF is yet to conclude a deal for a permanent head coach. It is not certain if Brown is aware of the JFF's intention.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Our sources (AND HERE TO?) further indicate that the Crenston Boxhill-led JFF is leaning towards Argentinian Jose Pekerman to fill the post of head coach. He guided his country to the quarter-finals of the World Cup Finals in Germany this summer.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The 56-year-old Pekerman, a former youth team coach, who won three Under-20 World Cup titles, was promoted to the senior national side two years ago, replacing Marcelo Bielsa who was in charge at the 2002 World Cup Finals.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Jamaican-born former England international John Barnes, as well as Bora Milutinovic and Dutch Under-21 coach Foppe Dehana, are also being considered for the post. However, it is believed the level of government assistance will determine which coach lands the job.
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>So which is it, according to the USUALLY reliable source??? <P class=StoryText align=justify>Who writes this stuff!!! It has the stamp of THIRD WORLD JOURNALISM ALL OVAH!! <P class=StoryText align=justify><P class=StoryText align=justify>

Comment

Working...
    X