Cornwall College- leaders in many fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornwall College- leaders in many fields

How many of you knew that Cornwall College had the first physics lab of any school in the caribbean?

How many of you knew that because of this lab Cornwall has more doctors than any other school in the entire island and was a veritable cradle of medicine for many years up to the mid-70s?

Ofcourse we all know that there were several schools founded long before we were but none can match that.

We are celebrating our 110th anniversary this week and many of the illustrious (and not so illustrious old boys) have converged on the school for several functions we are having.

Yesterday I attended the unveiling and dedication of a bust to the first native headmaster, Everold Barrett at the school "on the hill beside the sea" and was in awe as I sat listening to not one but two Rhodes scholars who have in their own way made serious contributions to the instiutution over the eyars.

One was Prof Rex Nettleford and the other Vernon Wong and renown nuclear physicist at the University of Texas.

Listening to other old boys talk you cant stop but think about the great contributions that Cornwallians have made not just to Jamaica but to the world.

People like Kingsley Thomas who will be the key note speaker at Saturday's awards dinner at Rose Hall Great House who I am hearing is a dedicated old boy who cant say no whenever the school or the Old Boys Association calls on him.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Cornwall College- leaders in many fields

NICE!! NICE!!

Enjoy the functions and that Diva should be there now. Gave her the #'s I have for you.:P
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Gwaan Sickko and CC. I do have a lot of respect for that institution. Pity that because I was slow I could not pass the Common Entrance Exams to go there.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Our memories both go back to 1976's two encounters between those two schools. Bitter and sweet.
        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

I was in first form in 1976 ansd enjoyed one of the games between CC and STETHS in MoBay from the field as Mr Jackson (PE teacher) had asked me to help out as a ball boy.

BTW Westman seems the new generation of students have 'modified' the school song a bit, where we used to sing Here on the Hill beside the sea...they now sing, Here on the hill beside KFC- ha ha ha....
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

haha - perhaps KFC has more Waves!
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
            X