• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National honours for three athletes

National honours for three athletes
    published: Friday | August 1, 2008

Glenroy Sinclair, Assignment Coordinator

( L - R ) Bolt, Campbell-Brown, Powell
    World 100 metres record holder Usain Bolt, former record holder Asafa Powell and Olympic gold medallist Veronica Campbell-Brown are to be recognised by the Government for their outstanding contributions to track and field.

National honours for three athletes

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I think outside of VC and to a lesser extent Powell for holding the record for a while, Bolt's inclusion is a little premature. Even if he was to win a gold at this Olympics, he is only 22. He still has time to do some youthful wrongs that may cause embarassment. Mek both him and Powell season a little bit more. VC has already won a championship gold and has carried herself with distinction so far, so I think she deserves the recognition.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      I think outside of VC and to a lesser extent Powell for holding the record for a while, Bolt's inclusion is a little premature. Even if he was to win a gold at this Olympics, he is only 22. He still has time to do some youthful wrongs that may cause embarassment. Mek both him and Powell season a little bit more. VC has already won a championship gold and has carried herself with distinction so far, so I think she deserves the recognition.
      Another very good point, Jangle.

To elaborate further on what you've said above, the very classy Veronica has won gold medals at EVERY global track and field meet that I'm aware of! In addition to minor medals, she has achieved gold medal, championship status in the following:

(a) two gold medals at the 1999 IAAF World Youth Championships (100-meter and 4x100-meter relay in Poland);

(b) two gold medals at the 2000 IAAF World Junior Championships (100-meter and 200-meter races in Chile);

(c) two Olympic Games gold medals (in the 200-meter race and the 4x100-meter relay four years ago in Athens);

(d) one IAAF World Championship gold medal (the 100-meter dash in Osaka in 2007).

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        Another very good point, Jangle.

To elaborate further on what you've said above, the very classy Veronica has won gold medals at EVERY global track and field meet that I'm aware of! In addition to minor medals, she has achieved gold medal, championship status in the following:

(a) two gold medals at the 1999 IAAF World Youth Championships (100-meter and 4x100-meter relay in Poland);

(b) two gold medals at the 2000 IAAF World Junior Championships (100-meter and 200-meter races in Chile);

(c) two Olympic Games gold medals (in the 200-meter race and the 4x100-meter relay four years ago in Athens);

(d) one IAAF World Championship gold medal (the 100-meter dash in Osaka in 2007).
        Bolt has won gold at all Jnr levels and holds Jnr WRs. He also won 2 silvers last year.

While we expect much more, his resume is already outstanding and if he retired tomorrow, it would still be a sight to behold.

Comment

So what are we saying we must not honor youngsters if they have achieved?

Breaking the world record in my view is worth an honor, not the highest honor but one a the lower one them, althought they could have waited until after the olympics since it is an olympics year but Iguess the nomination is before and the politicians of the day want to take part of the spotlight
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

WR holders must be given awards instantly

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            So what are we saying we must not honor youngsters if they have achieved?

Breaking the world record in my view is worth an honor, not the highest honor but one a the lower one them, althought they could have waited until after the olympics since it is an olympics year but Iguess the nomination is before and the politicians of the day want to take part of the spotlight

All World Records holders should be given a national award the day after the doping test comes back negative. If they mess up in life then we can always revoked. Let them enjoy it in the prime of life.
            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
              Bolt has won gold at all Jnr levels and holds Jnr WRs. He also won 2 silvers last year.

While we expect much more, his resume is already outstanding and if he retired tomorrow, it would still be a sight to behold.
              Bolt - Also current World Record Holder 100M!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Bolt will be 21 after the Olys, if I am not mistaken.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                X