X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's 100m.. the also rans?

Wednesday, 06 August 2008
    The 'Forgotten Five' aim to upstage Bolt, Gay and Powell

Derrick Atkins in the first round of the 100m (Getty Images)
    relnews

Conventional wisdom since the start of the year has suggested that the men's 100m medals in Beijing will be split between Jamaica and the United States but other men have the credentials to seriously beg to differ.
    The Bahamas' Derrick Atkins, Netherlands Antilles' Churandy Martina and the Trinidad and Tobago duo of Richard Thompson and Marc Burns lead the Caribbean challenge to upset the odds, while Portugal's Francis Obikwelu is looking to put the old continent on the podium.
    Atkins ready to attack
    At the World Championships 12 months ago, Atkins showed he is the man for the big occasion in Osaka when got the 100m silver medal, wearing his nation's striking blue apparel in one of the sport's blue riband events. He came home behind Tyson Gay, but ahead of Asafa Powell, in a national record 9.91.
    This year Atkins has yet to legally go under the elite benchmark of 10 seconds. His best for the year so far is the 10.02 he ran on 29 July at the Monaco Grand Prix meeting, although he has twice cracked the barrier with wind-assistance during this summer.
    However, like a slow burning fuse, Atkins believes that he is ready to detonate at the appropriate moment and, after his feat last year, it's hard to argue against him.
    "I know the attention has been on the guys like Asafa and Usain, as well as the Americans, but it was the same last year. It doesn't matter to me that people are talking about them because the Olympics are the only thing that matters this year and I'm confident I can be on the podium in Beijing," commented Atkins.
    "In Beijing, it could take running in the 9.7s to get a medal but I think I'll be ready to do that," he added.

more
    http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=...sid=46438.html
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

I'm laughing because I can understand how those guys feel (LOL). Based on media reports and predictions, it's as if only three 100-meter sprinters will be competing in Beijing! (LOL)

Poor Atkins, Obikwelu, Burns and company! But what a hell if one of those guys created an upset in Beijing! We see that Atkins did it last year, Gatlin and Obikwelu did it in 2004, and Kim Collins did it in 2003. Upsets can happen!

Truthfully, despite the great acclaim (deservedly) meted out to our two boys Bolt and Powell, I won't stop being nervous until after the 100-meter finals is completed!

Comment

Lol @ Marc Burns. He's not even a threat to mi grandmother in the 100m. Silly Trini.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
        Wednesday, 06 August 2008
        The 'Forgotten Five' aim to upstage Bolt, Gay and Powell

Derrick Atkins in the first round of the 100m (Getty Images)

relnews

This year Atkins has yet to legally go under the elite benchmark of 10 seconds. His best for the year so far is the 10.02 he ran on 29 July at the Monaco Grand Prix meeting, although he has twice cracked the barrier with wind-assistance during this summer.
        However, like a slow burning fuse, Atkins believes that he is ready to detonate at the appropriate moment and, after his feat last year, it's hard to argue against him.
        "I know the attention has been on the guys like Asafa and Usain, as well as the Americans, but it was the same last year. It doesn't matter to me that people are talking about them because the Olympics are the only thing that matters this year and I'm confident I can be on the podium in Beijing," commented Atkins.
        "In Beijing, it could take running in the 9.7s to get a medal but I think I'll be ready to do that," he added.

more
        http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=...sid=46438.html

Re Atkins...So in two weeks he's going to shave .3 of a second off his best legal time this year? hmmmmm
        Peter R

Comment

Wrang,

Burns is the most dangerous of the Trinis.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            Wrang,

Burns is the most dangerous of the Trinis.
            Dangerous inna wha? Badness?

Comment

Nah man.

Go watch London again on Youtube. he was virtually last at 50m and run doen the field catching all but Safa to record a (legit) PB of 9.97s. I dont count the 9.96s from their trials fiasco several years back.

If Gay not fit, he could win bronze! He is just a start away from a near certain bronze.

He and Kerron Stewart share the same coach!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X