And now this, the Americans are wondering about NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now this, the Americans are wondering about NFL

Will Usain Bolt run straight into the NFL?

By Nick Friedell

Usain Bolt is 21 years old, stands 6 feet 5 inches tall, weighs 190 pounds and runs the 100-meter dash in 9.69 seconds. Is there any doubt that NFL execs just read that sentence and started salivating? As I watched the Jamaican speedster race down the track yesterday, I couldn't help but wonder how he would fare if he ever decided to play football, and I'm sure general managers around the league were thinking the same thing as they watched him zoom past the competition.
    The thought of making a living running with a helmet and shoulder pads may not have even crossed Bolt's mind, but I am quite certain that there will a line full of teams willing to give him a chance if he ever decides that he wants to change career paths. Bolt wouldn't be the first world-class sprinter to try his hand at football. As my colleague Bill Fitzgerald pointed out, Bob Hayes, Willie Gault and Renaldo Nehemiah all made the transition to the NFL after successful sprinting careers. Herschel Walker and Darrell Green were amongst several players that competed in both sports while in college. The 2004 Olympic 100 meter champion Justin Gatlin was even given a tryout last year with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ... and he was just over 6 feet tall.
    The thing about Bolt is that at 6'5, he posesses a combination of size and speed that would be unlike most other players in the NFL.
    Is a football career something he wants to pursue? Is he willing to give up a sprinting career that appears to be at its peak? Only time will tell. If he has any interest in football at all though, you'd have to think that it's a good time to give the sport a chance. The "world's fastest man" has nothing left to prove in his chosen sport. The only reason Bolt would continue to train is if he decides to compete again in London, four years from now. At 21, he still has plenty of time to learn about football if he so desires. It will be interesting to see what his next move will be, but I can promise you that NFL scouts just added a new travel destination to their travel itineraries this fall ... Jamaica.
    Photo via Getty Images
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Why would Bolt want to go from .. as Karl would say .. TOP OF THE WORLD ...to associating himself with such stupidity?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Follow the Money....

Comment

American at work. It is however good exposure for Bolt to be getting this Kind of media. It proves he is a HIT.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

In the days before T&F was fully professional with decent money, it was common for the top sprinters to do this to make some money. Don't see it happening in this era for a top sprinter like Bolt.

A good example was Renaldo Nehemiah who was an all-time great when he walked away to become an average NFL player.

I can see why they would be interested though, with that speed and height he could be another Randy Moss, without the attitude too!
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

You don't think he can earn $4-$5 miilon a year in Track & Field?

Comment

You nuh see Sicko a dis you suggestions for Bolt pon Willi forum?

Me nuh know why him go over there to make his point instead of debating you on it. Him mussi still vex that you say Asafa neva do it.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

And he already has a European agent so the point is moot.

Comment

siccko a coward. Him can do anything him want

Comment

Salary ???

Heh, heh.. yuh tink is Salary run dis ?

Comment

Like Beckham him name make the money on the field. Bolt can establish a worldwide "Bolt brand". All he needs right now is the right agents. China, Japan, Europe, Africa, America are all open right now fi a whole lot of business.

So many products can be associated with SPEED.

Comment

I think maybe Me ambush him too many times pon the forum, LOL!

Me, low the man so him can come present him case!

Comment

He can run already, all he needs is learn how to catch, cricket ball smaller )
                          If NFL becomes interested why not the JFF considering Bolt more likely has a history in Football(soccer)rather than catch and run(NFL).

Fastest people on Earth!

Blessed

Comment

Bad idea.
                            Peter R

Comment

In what respect ?

Comment

Working...
                              X