Tek wey yuself!PM blasts critics of Olympic champion Usain B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tek wey yuself!PM blasts critics of Olympic champion Usain B

PM blasts critics of Olympic champion Usain BoltPAT ROXBOROUGH-WRIGHT, Editor-at-Large Western Bureau
    Saturday, August 23, 2008

Prime Minister Bruce Golding (centre) celebrates Jamaica's victory in the men's 4 x100-metre relay with Housing Minister Horace Chang (to his immediate left) and sports enthusiasts from western Jamaica at the Pier One restaurant in Montego Bay yesterday. (Photo: Pat Roxborough-Wright)
    MONTEGO BAY, St James - Prime Minister Bruce Golding yesterday weighed in on the controversy over double Olympic champion Usain Bolt's exuberant victory celebrations on the track, which have been dubbed unsportsmanlike by Jacques Rogge, president of the International Olympic Committee.
    "Red-eye... bad mind...They must stop beat up on the young man... they just can't take the fact that such a young boy broke double records; them must tek wey themself," Golding told journalists at the Pier One restaurant in Montego Bay where several of western Jamaica's sports enthusiasts gathered to watch the men's and women's 4 x 100m relays over a complimentary breakfast.
    Golding dismissed Rogge's view that Bolt, who smashed the 100m and 200m Olympic records in Beijing this week, displayed disrespect by giving himself a congratulatory slap on the chest just seconds before crossing the finish line in the 100-metre dash and taking off for a solo victory lap without congratulating his competitors in the 200-metre event.
    Trinidadian Ato Boldon, a former sprinter, also criticised Bolt's displays following his golden 100m run.
    However, Bolt yesterday brushed aside his critics, in an interview with the AFP.
    "That is just me, I am just having fun.
    "The crowd loves it, they look forward to seeing me come out; they want me to do it, they want me to put on a show, so I give them what they want," said the Jamaican Olympic champion.

Bolt Came Second in the Relay?

I know, I know, the Trinidadian team, anchored by Richard Thompson, got the silver medal. Nevertheless, each time I look back at my videotape of men's this relay, I can't help laughing at Usain!! Do you realize that, after he passed the baton to Asafa, that Usain ran the entire anchor leg behind Asafa? (LOL)

That was funny! Usain didn't stop running! The only other athlete I can recall doing this in a sprint relay was Pauline Davis in 2000 (Sydney Olympics) after she handed the baton to anchor Debbie Ferguson.

It was nice to see Maurice Smith on the tracks congratulating his homeboys at the end of the relay! I can only imagine how great Maurice felt at this victory!

Comment

the patois detractor said dem muss "tek whey demself" in a national interview?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I haven't heard the PM speak a word of the Queen's English since the start of the Olympics. He better learn some in time for the London Games in 2012!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The PM misspoke ... somewhat
          published: Sunday | August 24, 2008

The Editor, Sir:
          Mr Golding's reference regarding the Government's considerations for the future welfare of Jamaica's athletes is deserving of support.
          However, as prime minister, he should be more selective with his choice of language as he attempts to display his passion, pro or con, about issues of an inflammatory nature. Usain Bolt's display is acceptable as 'youthful exuberance' - common in events of that nature.
          However, our prime minister needs to project a 'mellowness' equal to the seasoning of his years. In addition, hopefully, Mr Golding's reference to Mr Bolt as a "little boy" was a misquote.
          Jamaica's athletes have worked hard and sacrificed much to have achieved what they did in this year's Olympics. They deserve to celebrate and be celebrated.
          Mr Golding should lead us spectators to celebrate with less inflammatory language. "Tek weh yuhself" does not fit well within his current frame.
          I am, etc.,
          EVAN ARCHER
          evanarchere1@netzero.net Queens Village, New York
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

His residence is noted.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              I haven't heard the PM speak a word of the Queen's English since the start of the Olympics. He better learn some in time for the London Games in 2012!
              LOL You guys are killing me!

Comment

Working...
              X