• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frater's father upset

Frater's father upset
    published: Sunday | August 24, 2008

Photo by Noel Thompson
    Lynden Frater, father of Olympic sprinter Michael Frater, says the athletic achievements of his son have gone unrecognised.
    Noel Thompson, Sunday Gleaner Writer
    WESTERN BUREAU:
    LYNDEN FRATER, father of Michael Frater, who is part of the Jamaican Olympic sprint team in Beijing, China, is peeved that his son is not being recognised for his sterling performance for Jamaica.

Frater Sr spoke to The Sunday Gleaner in Ulster Spring, Trelawny - his son's hometown - on Friday, following Michael's participation in the Men's 4x100- metre race at the 29th Olympiad, which the Jamaican team won in record-breaking time.
    "He and other Jamaicans have represented the country in the World Youth Championships, the Carifta Games World Junior, the Pan American Games, and many others, where he won a number of medals, including gold.Somehow, Jamaica at large has not really recognised what he has done for the country," remarked the elder Frater.

Injury
    He believes that Michael's non-aggressive attitude might have contributed to his not being regularly in the public spotlight. He pointed to Michael's injury prior to the World Championships in Japan last year, for which he did not qualify, but was invited to run the 4x100-metre relay.

"Michael told me when he got there, he could not even enter the facility and had to borrow Asafa Powell's pass," related Lynden. "He is peeved about it and says whatever happens, he will never forget it and will always remember how they were treated by (team official) Donald Quarrie."

The elder Frater said he was not sure what could reshape the situation for Michael to get his just recognition. "People are judged by their performance. I don't know if anything can be done. His dream was always to win the Olympics, which is the ultimate prize, but with Usain Bolt in the picture, I don't think he will get there," the elder Frater reasons.

He was very caught up in organising delegates for the Portia Simpson Miller campaign when The Sunday Gleaner visited him on Friday. As the organiser for the People's National Party Southern Trelawny delegates, Frater Sr said rallying the delegates was even more important to him than watching the 4x100 relay, which son Michael helped Jamaica to win.
    Last edited by Tilla; August 24, 2008, 02:16 PM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

surely there must be more to this....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Frater is from Trelawny too?!?!

Yes, Gamma, there must be more to this. What's with MVP athletes and Don Quarrie? What has the rise of Usain Bolt done to athletes hopes, not just in Jamaica, but around the world? Does it make any sense any more to train fo the sprints?

What is true, but the father didn't seem to highlight it, is Michael Frater could become a former World champion and our first as soon as they take Gatlin's gold from him. That is a monumental achievement for the athlete and Jamaica has not made a big deal about that, which it should!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And Bolt is 22 to rhatid, so is not like he is going anywhere soon.

Maybe thats why US Track and Field want to get him to play in the NFL, LOL!
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Again, you know what I feel about that!

Why is the NFL even being mentioned?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

make them mention his name with NPL, Phelps, EPL and all them want. You know how many fans must a wonder who this damn Bolt is?

I bet you 50% of America think he is an American from Jamaica queens or some state name Jamaica. Yes we want them fi just buy him goods and visti Jamaica.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Won't happen, but I guess they can keep dreaming.

Nothing would **************** me off more than to see such a special talent take up a sport he knows little about and would not be as dominant in as the sport he was born to do.

THank goodness T&F went fully professional so this is not even an option to be considered.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

D Quarrie not the greatest in the world when it come to doing administrative things and him have some little bad ways about him too. Don't know if this one of those cases, but I know Frater is not one who is into the mixup.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  make them mention his name with NPL, Phelps, EPL and all them want. You know how many fans must a wonder who this damn Bolt is?

I bet you 50% of America think he is an American from Jamaica queens or some state name Jamaica. Yes we want them fi just buy him goods and visti Jamaica.
                  That is not what I am seeing from talking to the average man I come across. Usain Bolt is like a house-hold name almost anywhere you go now. People also know he is Jamaican. . . There was not anyone who worked in my company who did not know of the exploits of the Jamaican team and especially a guy name Usain Bolt.

For example, on Friday I wore a black, gold and green Nike football shirt to work. Everybody who visited my company that day and saw the colors associated it with Jamaica. There was a network technician guy who started talkig to me about Bolt and the Jamaican athletes without him even knowing I am from Jamaica. He said he ran track and was a sprinter, but he would not be caught on a field trying to run with the likes of Bolt as he is just too damn fast. He ended up saying that while Americans could do it with the aid of steroids, Jamaica show how it is done with real talent.

So do not fool yourself. With the internet, TV, radio and the printed media, people out there are getting the word that there is a new sheriff in town. . .
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla I am judging based on my experience. I could be wrong but my first class in travel and tourism we were given a map of US to nme the states and half of the students gave it back blank, the could't even identify Florida.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Tilla, mi post needed editing???????
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

True...

Comment

Thank you tilla , my sentiments in New York , if his name buss in New York , the financial and fashion capital of the world , where cant it buss.

Puma need to market one market 1st NY , then just let it flow.Incidentally it has a heavy Jamaican population.
                          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I was a bit baffled by the father's stance.. then I saw the part bout him being an organiser for Portia campaign..

I would love to see the questionaire they had out to see if you can qualify to be a comrade..

1. Are you badmind and grudgeful ?
                            2. Do you have a victim complex
                            3. ....

Comment

Lawd have mercy...

I see the Olympics are over.

Comment

Working...
                              X