• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aliens Stumped by Champs

Foreign journalists bowled over by Champs

KAYON RAYNOR, Senior Observer staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, April 06, 2009

'Extra special' was the overwhelming response of the majority of the 40 international journalists who covered last week's 99th staging of the ISSA GraceKennedy Boys' and Girls' Championships at the National Stadium in Kingston.
    Public relations manager of the IAAF, Laura Arcolio (centre), and journalists Mattias Schneider of Stern Magazine (left), Leon Mann of the BBC (second left), Connie Aitcheson of Sports Illustrated (second right) and Jen-Denis Coquard of L'equipe (right) covered the 99th ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys' and Girls' Championships last weekend. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)The consensus was that the local high school championships explained why local athletes such as Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt, Veronica Campbell, Melaine Walker and Shelly-Ann Fraser do so well internationally.
    Leon Mann of the BBC says the atmosphere which prevailed at the National Stadium compares favourably to any international sporting event.
    "It's certainly something special in terms of the number of people attending and in terms of the organisation of an event and the unique atmosphere. I was at the World Cup in Germany and the Euro finals in Portugal and the Olympics in Beijing and I have to say that the atmosphere here even goes a bit further than that," Mann said.
    "This really goes to show that what you're doing here in Jamaica is quite special and kind of answers the cynics who said 'Jamaica's success is all about drugs'. Well actually, if people come here and see the development, see what's going on, see how important athletics is to these young people, then it kind of addresses that issue directly," Mann added.
    Jen-Denis Coquard of L'equipe in France, who is among a group of 20 journalists in Jamaica for the IAAF's Day in the Programme on Usain Bolt, said: "I'm very impressed to see all these people at a young (age group) competition and the level of performances. We can just imagine about the future of Jamaican athletics when we see all these impressive performances."
    Connie Aitcheson, a Jamaican-born journalist with Sports Illustrated, who was observing the ISSA-organised championships for the first time, agreed with Coquard.
    "I'm impressed with the participants and the fans and the history that they know. I knew that I would see passion, but I didn't think I would see passion with knowledge, that's what I'm impressed about," Aitcheson reasoned.
    Public relations manager of track and field's world governing body, the IAAF, Laura Arcolio, said 'Champs' could rival many international meets.
    "The finals of the 100 metres... were amazing. I can't believe how quick they get their feet on the ground and I'm also impressed with the reaction of the crowd and I love the way every supporter (wears) their colours and that's what we need over Europe - the ability to relate to a team, which is so strongly felt here in Jamaica," Arcolio stated.
    Mattias Schneider with the Stern Magazine out of Germany said he had never experienced such an atmosphere in all his travels.
    "From the standpoint of atmosphere, this is by far the best that I've seen because it's the whole crowd that is getting into it. I never experienced something like this, especially in track and field," said Schneider, who covered the Beijing Olympics last year.

source
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

I was watching the events on youtube and even I was bowled over...Champs has grown from when I went as a teenager, and even then it was big.... but the fan support is simply awesome.

Leon Mann of the BBC from your post above: "It's certainly something special in terms of the number of people attending and in terms of the organisation of an event and the unique atmosphere. I was at the World Cup in Germany and the Euro finals in Portugal and the Olympics in Beijing and I have to say that the atmosphere here even goes a bit further than that," Mann said.

That is a telling statement.
    Peter R

Comment

No doubt the decision in 1999 to combine both the boys and girls champs has helped tremendously in this regard.
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

true!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

When last you go Champs?

My first was 1979 and the last was about 1991 or so.

Comment

suh now the table is set for Penn....what a la la!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

sigh, boring Penn Relays.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i think champs will have perked it up this year ....

Comment

Let's hope it doesn't snow! Every time me go Penns, it's freezing, no matter how sun a shine!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Let's hope it doesn't snow! Every time me go Penns, it's freezing, no matter how sun a shine!
                    yuh siddung a de wrong part I'll send some hot girls to warm U
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Sad to say my last Champs was '73. Back then we would have up to 20,000 in the stadium... but certainly nothing like what I see now (on the net) nothing at all... the cheerleading was nowhere near what it is now... the atmosphere looks even more electric and the athletes more prolific...utterly amazing!!
                      Peter R

Comment

yuh mean like at the real Champs in Kingston City!

YAY!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Make sure they are of age...we don't want to get Mo in trouble.
                          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                            Make sure they are of age...we don't want to get Mo in trouble.
                            Like over 16 and under 17
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

1979 champs was about at the same level as this one.

What has improved is athe gates. Back then my bredrin was among those who push down a small wall at the grandstand ticket booth. Mi couldnt tek the pressure, so i gave up and went to the bleachers.

Comment

Working...
                              X