Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter - The Champs hero

The Champs hero

Ramone McKenzie, the captain of the Calabar team, is my nomination for the real hero of Champs. He was entered in four events: the 200 meters, the 400 meters, the 4 x 100 meters and the 4 x 400 meters, with all the rounds that those events required.

The fate of the Championship was in his hands when he started the final leg of the 4 x 400 meters and was well positioned to make the final burst when he approached the 250-metre mark. My heart went out to him when the cameras picked up the picture of him wincing visibly and, for a moment, I feared that he would have to stop, but he soldiered on magnificently, somewhat reminiscent of Bert Cameron in the '84 Olympics.
    He managed to hold his position two places above Kingston College - it wasn't enough but, in that moment, he demonstrated the qualities of which great men are made and I predict great things in his future.

Congratulations to KC on an outstanding victory - the fact that they had two finalists in the 5,000 meters, albeit not placing, showed the extensive preparation they made.

- Howard Hamilton, QC Kingston
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

So how is he? what is the extent of the injury?
    Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      [B] My heart went out to him when the cameras picked up the picture of him wincing visibly and, for a moment, I feared that he would have to stop, but he soldiered on magnificently, somewhat reminiscent of Bert Cameron in the '84 Olympics.
      Not quite, but...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

My hero is Rolando Berch who hopped home in the final of the 400m (58.07) to give KC 2 points; which in the scheme of things meant a whole lot.
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

My anti-hero is Odaine Richards (?) of Calabar who slipped and fell out of the blocks in the 100m. He quit instead of at least walking to the finish line for a point.

Okay, they would still have lost by half a point but it would send a strong message that every point counts.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            My anti-hero is Odaine Richards (?) of Calabar who slipped and fell out of the blocks in the 100m. He quit instead of at least walking to the finish line for a point.

Okay, they would still have lost by half a point but it would send a strong message that every point counts.
            I wonder - "what was he thinking"?
            ...and btw - Is that really his name?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              I wonder - "what was he thinking"?
              ...and btw - Is that really his name?
              Think his name is Oshane
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Burnt out hear he also plays school football.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

His name is Oshane Bailey!

Comment

my hero would have to be kieron stewart... he was in also in four events, got two golds and brought home a valuable point for finishing the 200m, despite an obvious injury which would have lesser athletes not even getting into the starting blocks...

that is the real hero of champs...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

sure its not oshame...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                        sure its not oshame...

You're feeling EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Then who the hell is Odaine Richards?

heh heh!

Sorry, Odaine, whoever you are!

Oh, since yuh have mi Champs programme, I could not check the name. Thanks, Sensi!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                          X