Is Bolt being properly handled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Bolt being properly handled?

I had this discussion with a friend of mine over the weekend. We both came to the conclusion that enough is not being done by Bolt's handlers to maximise Bolt's achievements and world popularity. The marketing possibilities are endless. He has so many plusses - his name, his affable personality, his youthfullnes etc. I was very disappointed when I heard his manager stating that it's not far-fetched for Bolt to be earning US$10m per annum. Why such a low target? His potential puts him to at least 3 to 5 times that amount.

My friend made a comment that holds some amount of truth. He said that Bolt's handlers are in awe that they are holding the contract to an athlete with such earning potential that they are overawed as to how to maximise it. He compares them to Jeb Clempet (sp) from the old series The Beverley Hillbillies when he found oil on his land.

His manager should be pounding the pavements and should be sitting on the phone trying to speak with the marketing directors of major companies to get them to endorse Bolt. His face should be plastered on billboards worldwide. They missed a major opportunity shortly after the Olympics when Bolt was photgraphedsitting in a Ferrari. He has already gone on record professing his love for BMW. His manager/agent should have been on the phone pitting these two major car companies against each other for his signature. Bolt is synonymous with speed. Puma also needs to step up to the plate. When asked about the increased sale of sneakers since the Olympics, their execs have been very vague even though they admit to the increase. That Puma contract should have or needs to be renegotiated. Do I hear Nike calling? I thought it was a slap to our intelligence as blacks and as a Jamaican when Puma offered Bolt the BMW as a gift. It reminded me of those new hip-hop artistes being offered a big gold chain when they join a "crew" - Rough Riders or Cash Money crews. Wow!!! That's selling ourselves short when we accept these temporary gifts instead of asking for a bigger share in our image rights. This is how the Beckhams, Ronaldos, and the Tiger Woods of sports become wealthy. I just read the Forbes Top Ten earnings of actors. The number one actor for 2008 was Harrison Ford. He gave up a salary for the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark to share in the gross earnings of the film between himself, George Lucas, Steven Speilberg and the movie studio after they had recovered the cost of making the movie. He ended up with US$62m and still counting.

http://www.zlatatretra.cz/video.asp?id=17

http://www.zlatatretra.cz/video.asp?id=18

http://www.zlatatretra.cz/video.asp?id=19
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

jangle, i am also one who strongly believes that bolt's handlers are not maximizing his earning potential...

will get into it more later... sounds like jawge...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

He should not be seen with a BMW or Ferrari, unless dem a pay him big marketing dollars. But him have a young yute who manages his career, and his career has outgrown the patty shop management.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

$500K in two weeks. Nice!!! But residual wealth cannot be built on appearance money. Now that BMW gift by Puma looks more offensive. This kid handles his interviews extremely well. He gives intelligent and honest answers. However, there are so many questions one can ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipqHr...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrgMP...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfb6z...eature=related
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

What is it, too many native Jamaicans around di yute?! Low di man and him managers!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Don't dis all the hip-hop artistes though, they are better than most black entertainers when it comes to earning money from endorsements. They are way ahead of the athletes who just want a sneaker deal and not much more.

The deal that really had my head spinning a few years ago was 50 Cent and his endorsement of Vitamin Water. Instead of getting paid for a drink that they named after him (Formula 50) , he took shares in the company and when they sold it later on to Coca-Cola, he made 100 million US (some say it was more than that) off his stake, just like that.

It would be great to see Bolt get some kind of endorsement deal that could net him that kind of money later on, even years after he has hung up his spikes.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Mi nuh tell unno long time that the Iaaf and Puma should ah step in and sign up Bolt with Ocatagon or IMG (the super Agencies) where they would map out a plan for brand Bolt. He should have at least 3 people permanently assigned to his account.

Ricky Simms can still stay on as meet arranger, but the heavy lifting would be done by say Octagon. The big money is OUTSIDE of competition. Competing is there to keep the brand image vital, not for making serious money in and of itself.

Bolt can still pay Peart as a personal advisor, but really this thing much bigger than the current people involved.

Ah mean to seh when I read that a Sagicor insurance agent is his financial advisor for his local and farrin investments, ah nearly ded wid laugh.

Mickey mouse amateur hour bizniz this. Trust me, nuff Jakan track fans with serious Investment credentials would give Bolt advice for free, just out of gratitude.

The problem is that Bolt himself is too inexperienced to know any of this.

Comment

I think unnu all need to step off. I can imagine how many of these big farin companies would be siphoning off di man's money, before you know it, wi haffi FINSAC Bolt.

Thanks, but no thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nah Mo, Bolt DESERVES to be in the same league with Tiger Woods etc.

I have much sympathy for Peart as he is a foundation man in this, but Bolt can still employ him as personal advisor and make the real pros structure and execute a plan to take him into the realm of true sporting elites.

I know Peart is yuh bredrin and you dont want to see him squeezed out, fair enuff. However, he has taken it as far as he can go with his limited expertise and should not try to hold back Bolt. There is still a place for Peart, just as there is a place for Bolt's parents and loved ones in his inner circl.

Comment

Preach it.

Comment

Huh?

Stop with the insular insecure BS. These agencies manage Federer, Woods, etc. Ah nuh Mickey Mouse bizniz.

Too much man fear losing their meal ticket with Bolt and thus rather keep him from maxxing his potential.

Comment

Siphoning off?

How yuh know that not happening now? And what would be the recourse with these amateur hour setups? How could he sue laer.

If IMG tried anything, they have tons of assets that could be attacked in court.

Think big man.

Comment

First ting, Peart is not mi bredren. Not that we are enemies, but I don't know him to chat to.

Second, this I just found out the other day, Bolt's girlfriend is my cousin's daughter!

Third, not sure Bolt can be in the same league as the world's best golfer. Golf always had more money than it deserves, but I get your point.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Gwey! Low di yard man dem and dem tings!

heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ricky Simms Irish!

Also, Yuh see that I advocate that Peart stays on in a different capacity.

Bolt needs the long time mentor to help keep him grounded when the superstar status really tek effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X