• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt ram di stadium a France

Superstar Bolt in dazzling form

Bolt was made to feel at home by the large number of Jamaican fans in Paris

By Sonja McLaughlan
    BBC Sport in Paris

As Usain Bolt walked towards me for an interview, he asked me what his reaction time had been.
    He knew he'd got a slow start and wanted to know exactly how bad it had been.
    In fact, only former world champion, Kim Collins, was slower out of the blocks than the world's fastest man.
    Yet in the blink of an eye, Bolt burst ahead, tearing up the track in only the way he can to win the 100m at the Paris Golden League meeting with another dazzling performance.

Bolt is fast becoming the sort of sports star who only comes along once in a lifetime

Sonja McLaughlan

Arriving at the Stade de France you'd be forgiven for thinking you'd landed in Bolt's home town, such was the reggae vibe in the stadium.
    Dancers dressed in the yellow and green of Jamaica swayed to the Caribbean rhythm and the atmosphere was more like a rock concert as Bolt was introduced to the crowd.
    The sport knows it's got a superstar in its midst and Bolt is box office.
    The marketing men in Paris weren't missing a trick and who can blame athletics for embracing him as it aims to rehabilitate itself in the wake of one drugs scandal after another.
    Jeremy Wariner, Sanya Richards, and Kenenisa Bekele all came and went - Richards running under 50 seconds for a record breaking 37th time - but they were merely the warm-up act for the main event.
    606: DEBATE

It was a great run by Lightning Bolt, who seems to enjoy running in wet conditions. How electric would he be in a thunderstorm?

Speedy G2012

As the clock ticked towards 2040 BST and the men's 100m, the atmosphere crackled with anticipation and I could feel my own heart rate rise.
    The rain started to fall, but Bolt ran a fast 200m through puddles in Lausanne, so there wasn't too much concern.
    Then the gun went bang and Bolt just sat there, or so it felt.
    "I need to work on my start," he said after the race. "It's really poor."
    Yet he won in majestic fashion in a time of 9.79, the second fastest time in the world this year. Only Tyson Gay has run fractionally quicker.
    "You feel like you're flying," he said when I asked him exactly what it feels like to run so fast.
    It's all bubbling up to be quite some showdown between Bolt and Gay at the IAAF World Athletics Championships in Berlin next month, where the Jamaican is adamant he'll win the blue riband event.

"It's definitely going to be me," he said, and it's hard to argue with that point of view.
    Does anybody think Bolt can be beaten?
    After all, who would have said Tiger Woods would miss the cut at the Open Championship?
    But just imagine what Bolt might do to his own world record if he gets that start sorted out.
    "I've got a lot of time to work on it," he said.
    He's got exactly a month to be precise before the start of the World Championships in Germany.
    Before that he runs over 100m at Crystal Palace on Friday night and you can hear the commentary on Radio 5 Live at 2017 BST.
    It was mayhem in the interview area in Paris with dozens of journalists and TV crews jostling to interview one man and it'll be the same in London.
    Like Tiger Woods and Roger Federer, Usain Bolt is fast becoming the sort of sports star who only comes along once in a lifetime.
    Watch and enjoy, while you can.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

When Bolt's popularity get's bigger after the WC, America will inevitably get onboard. Don't worry Mosiah, America will ketch on. Just think of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, Ronaldo, David Beckham, all were vastly popular in Europe and the rest of the world before conquering the American market. Continue to build your fan base in Europe and Asia Bolt.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Notice that the kids who stood behind the blocks also had Jamaican flags on the sides of the caps as well..
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

I noticed that next to Bob Marley, the other personality on T-Shirt, Caps etc. on sale in the souvenir shops is Bolt. There were a few T-shirts with the other Olympians but Bolt merchandise stood out by far. Unless he "stumbles" he definitely is on his way to universal stardom.
        Peter R

Comment

Working...
        X