Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Distances are Exciting!

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
    I thought about adding some of these distance races to my list, but when I thought about it, some of these races can be very exciting, wspecially when it comes down to the last lap. It always amazes me how these runners can find the extra energy to sprint these laps after running so long. I guarantee you that if I tried to run around my house two times right now, I would end up in the ER.
    Trust me, the Ethiopian ladies (Tirunesh Dibaba, Meseret Defar, and the others including Tirunesh’s sisters whose names I absolutely have given up trying to pronounce) have mastered this skill!! In the process, they have transformed the final lap of the 5,000 and the 10,000-meter races into a sprint! Literally!

I’ll never forget the 2005 Helsinki IAAF World Championships in which those Ethiopians (Defar wasn’t in that race) ran about a 58-second final lap in the 5,000-meter race!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, live commentators nowadays have gotten into the habit of getting their audiences ready as the final lap approaches for that burst of speed by the Ethiopian women.

Comment

hehehee
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

No! dem running!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I would say walk and if you put a gun to my head now I would say walk...but I was assigned to cover the boys' race walk finals at the World Youth for the IAAF website and found it interesting.

I would not volunteer to go to the World Race Walk Championships however
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
          X