A Close Look at Libel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Close Look at Libel

In light of recent discussions on the accused athletes as well as on media responsibility (my choice of term), I’ve decided to, as it were, present a few facts for consideration. Originally, I had planned to name this post “Media Responsibility” and this would cover libel as well as other related issues. I changed my mind, however, because this forum has very limited archive capabilities, and so there’s no point in putting together a detailed, useful essay that will, nevertheless, disappear into cyberspace within a couple of weeks! It is certainly not a problem for me in putting together stuff like this, but I simply don’t see the point of expending the energy to do so when it will be gone in a few weeks! So, I’m simply going to do a brief discussion on libel.

Hopefully, a lively discussion will ensue .

Libel laws in several English-speaking Caribbean countries, including Jamaica, lag behind those of the developed world, and there have been snail-paced efforts in Jamaica and the others to bring their somewhat archaic libel laws in line with modern realities. In fact, in late 2007 (I believe in either November or December) the prime minister of Jamaica authorized a committee to review Jamaica’s libel laws.

I deliberately used the word “archaic” above in reference to Jamaica’s libel laws for good reason. To give one simple example here, the limitation period in which a libel case can be brought against an individual or institution in England is one year from the date of publication. Places like Canada and, in the Caribbean, Barbados have a two-year limitation period. In Jamaica, on the other hand, we still abide by the 1623 Limitation Act of England, which stipulates a limit of six years from the date that the libelous statement was published. This, quite clearly, goes beyond simply being ridiculous!

Now, a concise definition of libel is in order. Libel, quite simply, occurs when published or broadcast material hurts someone’s reputation or destroys their earning power. For libel to occur, the statement in question must defame the person or institution and must NOT be provably true (“provably true,” thanks to the arguments of that great eighteenth century American attorney Howard Hamilton, means that one must be able to prove the truth of the statement or situation).

For libel to occur, several conditions must exist:
    1. the material must be false;
    2. the material must be defamatory;
    3. there must be a specific reference, identifying an individual as well as hurt­ing that individual’s reputation;
    4. the material must be distributed to someone other than the offended party (in other words, published).

The defenses against libel in Jamaica and in the Caribbean at large are (a) provable truth; (b) privilege; (c) fair comment and criticism. These defenses also exist in the USA and in Western Europe. Of course, in the case of any possible libel lawsuit against the media resulting from the current situation with the athletes (there will be none, but I’m just using a seemingly irrelevant hypothetical example here), the defenses “privilege” and “fair comment and criticism” would have absolutely no relevance.

However, at least one other major defense that does not exist in Jamaica, or in most Caribbean countries, is the defense known as “absence of malice”. This very necessary (in my opinion) defense exists in the USA, and provides a very important defense against lawsuits to publishers, etc. As I am typing this, a case from a couple decades ago involving the former Israeli defense minister (this was long before he became prime minister) Ariel Sharon and Time magazine springs to mind. From the little I can recall of this case, Sharon lost because he was unable to prove actual malice on the part of Time magazine.

A second defense that can help is a prompt and visible publication of an apology.

TO BE CONTINUED

Interesting. I am waiting on the continuation.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

The question now is: If a paper publishes an article which includes the information... " John was arrested by the police and charged with incest", is that libel? if it is subsequently proven in court that the individual is innocent?... might the media have violated no. 3 specifically?

But to back up, it seems that West Indian papers (it happens in T&T& too) are reluctant to print names of "prominent" people who are arrested and charged with crimes. They are more willing to do so when it's a "small" man.
      Peter R

Comment

Some More Details

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
        Interesting. I am waiting on the continuation.
        Thanks, Jangle. Actually, I enjoy discussing the mass media, including media ethics, media credibility and the legal restrictions on journalists and editors.

Newsworthiness can never be a defense in libel cases, and so arguments about the public’s right to know will not help in such a lawsuit. Where newsworthiness is a major defense is in lawsuits involving invasion of privacy. And even in invasion of privacy lawsuits, the matter of “false light”, which falls within the area of invasion of privacy, will not be helped by any appeal to newsworthiness or the public’s right to know! (I intentionally mention “false light” here because in several respects it is similar to other acts of defamation like libel and slander.)

The fact is that, even in cases where an arrest has been made, the mass media need to be careful with its discussions, particularly as far as allegations are concerned. In the USA, the First Amendment to that country’s constitution, and also the available defenses in libel lawsuits, make it possible for some US media people to proceed as they do.

CLASSIC CASE: I like to refer people to the case of Richard Jewel (he, unfortunately, died a couple of years ago) and that bombing in Centennial Park, Atlanta at the start of the 1996 Olympic Games. Since that late 1990s media circus, the word “alleged” has started to be used regularly by ALL media houses. I recall sitting in front of my television on a number of occasions and watching in disbelief as prominent television stations (and several newspapers as well) acted as judge and jury in that allegation! The irony of the entire situation is that, if it wasn’t for Jewel and his discovery and immediate reporting of his find to the police, many lives might have been lost!

Of course, as we all probably recall, it was eventually proven at the highest level that Jewel was completely innocent of the FBI and the media allegations; in other words, that poor security guard had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the crime, in which a lady died.

The details of the numerous out of court settlements with Richard Jewel by several media houses were never revealed, but there were indeed several out of court settlements! Fortunately, Jewel was lucky in that the country recognized him, in tangible ways, as the hero he really was long before he died.

Comment

BTW Histo,

I think this thread appropriately belongs in the "Jamaica" forum... don't you? It's not just about the T&F athletes but the reluctance of the press in general to give out information ...
          Peter R

Comment

No, Not Libelous

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
            The question now is: If a paper publishes an article which includes the information... " John was arrested by the police and charged with incest", is that libel? if it is subsequently proven in court that the individual is innocent?... might the media have violated no. 3 specifically?

But to back up, it seems that West Indian papers (it happens in T&T& too) are reluctant to print names of "prominent" people who are arrested and charged with crimes. They are more willing to do so when it's a "small" man.
            No, Peter, this would definitely NOT be libel, as all that the newspaper did was report the facts. The facts are that (a) the man was arrested by the police, and (b) the man was charged with incest. The media is supposed to report on news developments such as this. Any subsequent problem following court decisions might (but not necessarily) see the police facing the music!

On the other hand, if that newspaper included a statement like “John is an incestuous man,” then that newspaper is obviously actively looking for trouble! If John is found innocent by the courts, he will have the option of suing that newspaper for defamation.

By the way, it is this concern with the possibility of slander and libel lawsuits why many radio call-in shows utilize a ten-second or other form of delay.

Comment

If the statement is factual, it would not satisfy condition #1. My interpreation of the post is that all 4 conditions must be true for it to be libel.

Regarding your second statement, maybe that has something to do with the fear of retribution in the future from the prominent person.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Good point, but....

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                BTW Histo,

I think this thread appropriately belongs in the "Jamaica" forum... don't you? It's not just about the T&F athletes but the reluctance of the press in general to give out information ...
                Good point, Peter, and the moderators can feel free to move this thread to the next forum above.

I initially placed the thread here because it is based on recent discussions on this particular forum about the accused athletes and the reluctance by the media in Jamaica to provide names. This reluctance, in my opinion, is admirable restraint on the part of our local media as, like I said yesterday, to give out names would be to yield to public pressure and thereby give respectability to rumors and hearsay. This is the methods of tabloid journalism, and not the type of approach that respectable mainstream print and broadcast media are expected to take.

When the JAAA or some other authorized source announces the names, then that will be time for the media to publish them (even in banner headlines if they so choose; LOL).

By the way, you can substitute the word “reluctance” with “restraint” or “good taste” or even “objectivity” .

Comment

Basically Correct, Islandman!

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                  If the statement is factual, it would not satisfy condition #1. My interpreation of the post is that all 4 conditions must be true for it to be libel.

Regarding your second statement, maybe that has something to do with the fear of retribution in the future from the prominent person.
                  Excellent point, Islandman, as all four conditions must be present. However, the best possible defense in a libel lawsuit is “provable truth” and so if it is factual/truthful and you can prove it, then there is no further room for the plaintiff to proceed! Not merely truth, of course, but rather, truth that can be proven. In other words, you can know that you’re telling the truth, but if you cannot prove this in a court of law, then you will likely remain in trouble.

Truth as a defense in libel cases was first established in a 1735 lawsuit involving the American publisher John Peter Zenger and a critical article he published in the New York Weekly Journal. Fortunately for Zenger, his defense lawyer was Philadelphia’s Andrew Hamilton, one of the best attorneys in America.

(In my post above, I mistakenly named the lawyer “Howard Hamilton,” because for some reason Jamaica’s Howard Hamilton probably came to my mind as I typed. The famous American was Andrew Hamilton.)

And yes, all four conditions must be present for a successful libel lawsuit to be possible! For example, if I wrote something defamatory about you and only you and I saw it, then you are obviously not defamed. If, on the other hand, even one other person sees it, then condition #4 would apply. However, if you can prove that it’s true, then there is no basis for a libel lawsuit for the simple fact that (provable) truth cannot be libel.

Comment

I changed my mind, however, because this forum has very limited archive capabilities
                    What do you mean by that statement? Every post you have submitted since your "second coming" (1080 by you at the point of me writing this post) can be called up by using the search features of the forum. Nothing has been deleted unless they are inappropriate posts. Is that archiving enough for you?
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Thanks for Explaining

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                      What do you mean by that statement? Every post you have submitted since your "second coming" (1080 by you at the point of me writing this post) can be called up by using the search features of the forum. Nothing has been deleted unless they are inappropriate posts. Is that archiving enough for you?
                      Tilla, thanks for your response to this question. It is much appreciated .

I always thought that this forum had only nine pages of stuff saved, after which the rest would be lost. I am very thankful that I was incorrect, and now I understand what Karl was saying yesterday.

Thanks once again for explaining to me how this forum works .

Comment

You are welcome.
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                        X