• Show
Clear All

• MVP boycotting WC camp?

Unwilling campers?
    Some MVP athletes not at JAAA-run training facility ahead of World Champs
    BY KAYON RAYNOR, Senior staff reporter
    raynork@jamaicaobserver.com

Saturday, August 08, 2009

SOME members of the MVP Track Club have failed to arrive for Jamaica's mandatory pre-World Championships camp in Nuremberg, Germany, which started on Thursday, reigniting the controversy which rocked last year's Jamaica Amateur Athletics Association (JAAA)-organised pre-Olympic camp in Tianjin, China.
    POWELL. during a training session ahead of the Beijing Olympics in China last year. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    Paul Doyle, the agent of former 100m world record holder Asafa Powell, Olympic 400m silver medallist Shericka Williams, and two-time world 100m hurdle medallist Brigitte Foster-Hylton, yesterday confirmed that his clients would not be attending the six-day camp.

"Well, they're training in Italy and receiving treatment from the clinic there and getting their training in (done) there and there's no reason for them to go to the camp early, and to be honest, JAAAs has never once sent a message to me that the camp was mandatory. Only the media has been telling me that it's mandatory," Doyle said, noting that another of his clients, Michael Frater, the 2005 world 100m silver medallist, would be arriving at the JAAA-run camp today.

"Frater arrives there tomorrow (today) for the camp because I think he's supposed to be there for relay practice from what I understand, and the others (Asafa, Shericka and Foster-Hylton) will go straight into Berlin on the 11th," he added.

Asked whether MVP head coach Stephen Francis was notified that the JAAA camp was mandatory, Doyle replied: "I can only speak for myself. I was never notified that it was mandatory." He added that another of his clients, 400m hurdler Markino Buckley, did arrive at the JAAA's camp on Thursday.
    FOSTER-HYLTON. will go straight into Berlin on Tuesday. (Photo: Paul Reid)
    The other MVP athletes, who the Observer could confirm arrived in the camp on Thursday, were Christine Day and Anneisha McLaughlin. It was unclear whether Olympic 100m and 400m hurdles champions Shelly-Ann Fraser and Melaine Walker would be attending the camp.

When the Observer contacted MVP president Bruce James yesterday afternoon for a comment on the matter, he could not shed any further light on the issue: "I have been trying to contact my technical staff in Europe to find out what the status is, but I've been unable to get through to them based on the time of day... because they are so many hours ahead of us (in Jamaica)."

Head of Jamaica's delegation for the 12th IAAF World Championship in Berlin, Trevor 'TC' Campbell, shied away from confirming whether members of the MVP Track Club had indeed failed to arrive at the camp on the prescribed date.
    WILLIAMS. will go straight into Berlin on Tuesday. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    "I can't tell you anything else, you've spoken to the agent; that's what he's telling you... I'm not here to counter that, counteract it. I'm not here to add or subtract anything from it," Campbell told the Observer from his room at the Herzog Park Hotel in Nuremberg yesterday.

The Jamaican team leader further fumed: "You can check what you want to check, I'm not preventing you from checking. I'm telling you that I'm not saying anything to you... We had an agreement, I told you straight that I'm afraid of speaking to you and I'm serious and that still holds. I will no longer speak to you."

Pressed to say whether the camp was mandatory, Campbell, a past Olympian, insisted. "Sir, I told you that I will no longer speak to you. Now the next time I say that I'm going to hang the phone up!"
    As a result, the Observer was unable to ascertain whether any other athlete outside of the MVP Track Club in Jamaica's team had failed to arrive in the camp as mandated by the JAAA.

On June 22, JAAA president Howard Aris, who had indicated that top coaches, including Glen Mills and Stephen Francis, were consulted during the selection process for the camp venue, said he believed that things would go much smoother this summer as most of the athletes will be based in Europe in the lead up to the 12th IAAF Championships in Berlin.
    "They (athletes) are due in on the sixth (of August). They will be notified the moment the team has been selected and we'll make an announcement," Aris said at the time.

Last summer, several MVP athletes, including Powell, did not arrive on time at the JAAA's mandatory pre-Olympic camp in Tianjin, sparking discontent within the Jamaican team, including a war or words between Francis and the management team.
    Last edited by Karl; August 8, 2009, 02:25 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Does the JAAA invite athletes to be a part of our various representative national teams or do they invite clubs and other organisations?

JAAAs must hold the athletes accountable. Those who do not attend te camps...withdraw them from the team. It is simple really!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I cannot believe that we are going to go through this sh!t again. When will Jamaicans start putting Jamaica first? Last year when this happened, I thought that Franno had a slim argument to his defense, but this time around, I cannot entertain none. Everybody knew about the camp months in advance and all grouses should have been aired from then. This latest incident is a vindictive and selfish act. The USA is currently in camp and their relay teams are working out their kinks. It is an absolute travesty to see that Jamaica have been able to assemble one of its greatest ever team in its history and individuals are seeking to destroy our country's chances of international glory because of their stupid egos. I say that if this incident is not resolved quickly, we as fans and as Jamaicans should ostracise the guilty parties regardless of any medals won. Jamaica MUST come FIRST!!!!!
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Certain members of the MVP team......... notably Asafa and Brigitte are going to be sent home and not allowed to compete on this world championship team.

Comment

LOL
          Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
          Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

We are in agree-ance, but you notice who was the mouth piece this time, the American agent who I am sure has no say in who goes to camp or when they go to camp.
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Him white? Then who going to question him?

Cho!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

stop indulge Jangle's tantrum, LOL... if di man dem no ready di man dem nuh ready...the athletes come 1st, what's good for the athlete's is good for Jamaica..

You have a clue how much money the US is investing in Tyson to reclaim the sprint crown? Yo tink dem ago release him till him ready?

Look pan Sanya, yo notice dem allow her to stay with family and away from Camp?

That same hack of a reporter was pressing the head of the delegation to comment;fortunately common sence reigned supreme so he refused to get drawn in the sausage making of a headline
                Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

You and the fanatical MVP supporters better make sure Asafa not only wins gold but breaks thw WR as well in the WC finals or dog nyam him supper.

A silver will not be good enough, Michael Frater has one of those in his back poket already.

Spoke to one of the coaches in Germany a few minutes ago and no one there thinks the situation is even remotely funny.

How comes we never see this with VCB or Bolt's handlers- even when VCB is not 100 percent fit she reports to camp on time and dont cause any fuss...what is it about Franno and MVP that they feel they must cause conflict all the time?
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

with the mentality like that which you display, no wonder Jamaica is so fragmented..

at no point in tyour reply did you mention Jamica and unity; it was all about "You", "fanatical MVP supporters", "VCB and Bolt handlers", "Michael Frater", "Franno". But then again your reply is a symptom of Jamaica society as whole, divison and tribalism; Gaza vs Gully, JLP vs PNP, Uptown Vs Down, Kuntry vs Town, Black vs Brown, Local Vs Foreign trained athletes...

WE should all hope, not you or I, but WE!

WE as a country should PROUDLY accept that silver medal whether the absence from camp pays off or not! Thank god for Alain Bailey, the personification of UNITY.

Comment

Alain Bailey is the male long jumper...Aleen Bailey is the person you may be reffering to.

Do you think coming out on an internet forum and blindly supporting everything the athletes do or say equals unity???

My momma never raised me to act like a lemming
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

nobody insisted on anything, your "you and fanatical MVP supporters" line not to mention "Asafa not only wins gold but breaks thw WR as well in the WC finals or dog nyam him supper." reaks of TRIBALISM.

Comment

Sorry boss it reaks of realism...where is the tribalism there? Or do you really understand what the terms you fling out actually mean.

I stand for one tribe- Jamaica land I love. I have never seen a MVP flag flown at any Major Championships nor seen that club name in any medal count.

And the athletes MUST compete for Jamaica and do well to get lanes on the GP Circuit.

For all his natural gifts and his promise what has Asafa achieve din a major Championships-

I can forgive him for 2003 in France
                          2004 he layed down on the track!!!!!
                          2005-?
                          2006- People dont really count the Commonwealth Games
                          2007 - he gave up and came third behind Derrick Atkins- where is he now
                          2008- Fifth again!!!!

In between that he broke or equalled the WR three times.

Take this as gospel- if he does not win the gold this year, Nike will get out the cutlass and contracts will be cut down.

Big man this is not about emotions and what we want or what we like, this is about relaity and it seems from your ignorant diatribes here, you are very far from the reality.

Find some people who have some T&F knowledge and learn form them before trying to test me boss...simple as that.

I should charge you for the lessons handed out today.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

Congratulation, first post you have ever made using the word "Jamaica" with a holistic context; I know it took alot for a dogmatic individual like you to type so congrats again..

Being that You write for numerous media organisations, I'll take your word about the contract slashing; with that said if he showed up on schedule, came 2nd and didn't break the WR, would nike still slash is contract? If so, what was the point of posting that?

Just as how I never debated any of his or any of our athletes underperfromance in Majors before (no, a lie mi did cuss off Bolt to a friend), I won't chose this thread to do it.

Tell them not to ask Bruce James to commentate if don't want him to market him club!

I NOTICED no other individuals on this site singling out any camps(whether good/bad/neutral comments), so I find it strange your the first i noticed. This conversation is between you and I, not you, I, CT&F.

I deserve a refund!
                            Last edited by Yuttie; August 9, 2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

hmmm, made some calls and people said they are hearing mutterings but the fly in the ointment is whether the JAAA brass has the backbone to do what needs to be done?
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X