Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Prediction: 100-meter Races

Personal Prediction #2: Women’s 100-meter Race
    This is the second in a series of predictions that I will be making over the next few days (the first was the women’s 200-meter race, which I have re-posted here immediately below my 100-meter predictions).

Again, all relevant comments are welcome.

Gold: Shelly-Ann Fraser (Jamaica)
    Silver: Carmelita Jeter (USA)
    Bronze: Kerron Stewart (Jamaica)

Last year, Shelly-Ann was the underdog, despite running as fast as the 2007 IAAF World Championships 100-meter champion Veronica Campbell-Brown had ever gone in her career. And not only was Shelly-Ann the underdog, but to add insult to injury, there were strident calls by many Jamaicans for her to be dropped in favor of Veronica.

Well, Beijing came and guess who became the first woman in the history of the Caribbean to win an Olympic Games 100-meter gold medal? In my view, Shelly-Ann is one of the most focused athletes in track and field today, and despite not being as fast as Kerron Stewart (PB 10.75), Shelly-Ann’s famous rocket start and determined focus should get the job done again. In the case of Kerron, she has shown us, more than once, that she is prone to be distracted by happenings on or off the track. If she gets an outstanding start, though, then this posted prediction of mine could go awry.

Carmelita Jeter was the poster girl for 100-meter sprinting early this season, and although she appeared to have peaked a month or so ago, I suspect that this was not the case. Certainly her anchor run on that outstanding USA 4x100-meter relay team last week is clear proof that she should not be ignored!

Personal Prediction #3: Men’s 100-meter Race
    This is the third in a series of predictions that I will be making over the next few days. All relevant comments are most certainly welcome.

Gold: Usain Bolt (Jamaica)
    Silver: Tyson Gay (USA)
    Bronze: Daniel Bailey (Antigua)

Those who are suggesting that Tyson Gay will not medal must surely be drinking the wrong stuff! Tyson, lest we forget, is the fastest man in the 100 and 200-meter races this year and, equally important, the IAAF World Championships 100-meter and 200-meter defending champion! I expect the increasingly confident Antiguan Daniel Bailey to grab the bronze medal, although he will NOT be very close behind the two front runners.

LOOKING BACK: Personal Prediction #1: Women’s 200-meter Race

Gold: Allyson Felix (USA)
    Silver: Veronica Campbell-Brown (Jamaica)
    Bronze: Debbie Ferguson-McKenzie (Bahamas)

Allyson Felix’s performance at the Stockholm Super Grand Prix was a fantastic run. Not only is it the second fastest race of her career (her 21.81 in 2007 at the IAAF World Championships in Osaka is her fastest), but it is also the third fastest 200-meter run by a woman since the start of this century! Debbie Ferguson-McKenzie has tasted 200-meter victory before, as she is the holder of the gold medal from the 2001 IAAF World Championships and the bronze from the 2004 Olympic Games.

Stockholm Super Grand Prix, July 31, 2009
    Results: Women’s 200-meter race
    WR: 21.34 Florence Griffith-Joyner (1988)
    SR: 22.00 Sherone Simpson (2006)
    Wind: 1.3 m/s

Rank Name Nat Time
    1 Allyson Felix (USA) 21.88 SR
    2 Debbie Ferguson (BAH) 22.23
    3 Kerron Stewart (JAM) 22.72
    4 Marshevet Hooker (USA) 22.84
    5 Laverne Jones (ISV) 23.15
    6 Cydonie Mothersill (CAY) 23.27
    7 Alexandria Anderson (USA) 23.32
    8 Yuliya Chermoshanskaya (RUS) 23.70

Putting Allyson’s performance into perspective, let’s compare it with the best 200-meter times since the start of this 21 century:

21.74 Veronica Campbell-Brown 21 August 08 Beijing
    21.81 Allison Felix 31 August 07 Osaka
    21.88 AF 31 July 09 Stockholm
    21.93 AF 21 August 08 Beijing
    21.94 VCB 29 June 08 Kingston
    21.94 Marion Jones 23 July 00 Sacramento
    21.98 VCB 19 July 08 Barcelona
    21.99 Kerron Stewart 29 June 08 Kingston

gauntlet fling down!!!!!

no asafa on the medal podium!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

No Gauntlet Flung!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      gauntlet fling down!!!!!

no asafa on the medal podium!
      Gamma, I am one of the biggest fans of Asafa Powell that you’ll find anywhere!!! Asafa started this modern era world record thing for us, and I cannot forget that or how proud he has made us since he started whipping Maurice Greene back in 2004. If wishes could become reality, I would want Asafa Powell to get an individual gold medal in Berlin. So, this prediction does not by any means reflect my opinion of one of my favorite human beings, Asafa Powell, or even my view of my favorite track and field club on the planet, MVP.

Rather, this prediction, like all my others, are based on what I honestly expect WILL happen in Berlin. If I wasn’t trying to be as honest as possible based on my feelings, do you think I would have Carmelita Jeter, for example, squeezed in at second place? The sad fact is that based on his history at this level (2004, 2007 and 2008), I have no reason to include my champion Asafa as a medalist next week!

Comment

Now that we "know" that the MVP athletes will be participating, I predict that Asafa will medal in the 100m. I say that he will run a very close second to Bolt.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

dat is a fling if ever i saw one!!!! work wid mi people...work wid MI!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Reasonable prediction.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
              Reasonable prediction.
              Willi, I am a MVP fan but I can't see Powell beating Tyson Gay for 2nd. The man don't know how to fight for a place, he is going to do what he has been doing all season which it to give up once Bolt & Gay catches him.

The real question is whether Powell can get Bronze medal and I say no because he is going to give up once he is caught by Bolt & Gay.

We all hope that Powell proves us dead wrong

Bye the way, is he running in the 100m relays?
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

women's 100 might need revising!

Comment

I think he will fight this time...if allowed.

Note the latest salvo from the JAAA...

Comment

Jeter will not come second. Indeed, she will not medal!

Archive this!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Looks like he won't get the chance. Sorry, I keep it real, I even made my feelings clear to his manager, practice becomes perfect.
                      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Looks like he won't get the chance. Sorry, I keep it real, I even made my feelings clear to his manager, practice becomes perfect.

Comment

Jeter will not medal?

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          Jeter will not come second. Indeed, she will not medal!

Archive this!
                          Better yet, I’ll send your “(Jeter) will not medal” to the top so it will be “closer at hand” come Monday evening!

In addition, I’m going to assist you in your shocked emotional reaction come Monday by repeating that no country is going to have a 1-2-3 sweep in the women’s 100-meter event.

Comment

ok...is THAT the sound of a gauntlet being flung down ....sorry "flinged down"? werk wi mi here!!!

Comment

Just Keeping It (Jeter) Real

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                              ok...is THAT the sound of a gauntlet being flung down ....sorry "flinged down"? werk wi mi here!!!
                              LOL Gamma . I don’t know if we should call it a gauntlet, but for those who confidently erase Carmelita Jeter from the medal podium need to remember that she has beaten Fraser, Stewart and Campbell-Brown at least once each this season. And while the IAAF World Championships involves four rounds of 100-meter (as opposed to it being a one-off event), I am not sure why some track fans continue to underrate Jeter!

I expect Fraser to win (Stewart is unpredictable and hard for me to factor in with any confidence). Veronica’s 10.96 season’s best will have to be improved on urgently on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X