• Show
Clear All

• Nice! Bailey looks to make use of golden opportunity

Bailey looks to make use of golden opportunity

Published: Monday | August 17, 2009

Gordon Williams, Gleaner Writer

Bailey
    BERLIN, Germany:
    Aleen Bailey may have slipped into the race through the back door, but a place in today's 100 metres semi-final has ensured the Jamaican will leave the IAAF World Championships in Athletics (WCA) here proudly through the front.

Bailey, who replaced Sheri-Ann Brooks in the 100 metres following the Commonwealth Games champion's link to a doping violation case, yesterday strung together two steady rounds after only being informed four days ago that she would compete in the individual event.
    "You can't just get a spot and don't use it to your advantage," Bailey said of her lucky break.

She won her opening heat

in 11.29 seconds then returned later to finish runner-up in 11.12 to American Lauryn Williams (11.06) in the second round to book her place in the last 16 of the world's fastest women.

Although Brooks, who finished third at Jamaica's trials to claim a spot in the individual event, was eventually cleared, Bailey was chosen to run. But according to the former Vere Technical athlete, who calls her late call-up "a blessing", she was not caught totally by surprise.

"Yes, I was mentally ready because my coach was keeping me prepared just in case anything happened," Bailey said yesterday. "So it worked out fine."

The 27-year-old is overjoyed with her opportunity, although she feels a touch of remorse over Brooks' misfortune.

"I'm happy I'm in," said Bailey, who finished fourth at the trials. "Saddened based on the circumstances. You always want to make the team on your own trial, but I'm happy and I'm doing well and I just want to make sure I represent the country as best I possibly can."

Working hard
    Her race will have to improve if she hopes to get to today's final. She said it will take a sub-11 seconds time to get among the final eight. Her best is 11.04. She also admitted she is still struggling to put a perfect race together.

"The start still sucks," she said with a laugh, "and coming up, when I get the start, I tend to mess up. If I get the start then, I tend to come out of my drive phase too much. So hopefully by (today), I can put them together."

While Bailey is still looking to produce her best at the WCA, at least she has accomplished one target.

"My coach (American Lance Brauman, who also trains current WCA 100 metres champion Veronica Campbell-Brown) just told me to make sure I get into the top two and get to the next round and work from there," she said after round two.

She is also showing steady improvement.

"I can lower my times because I am running faster every round," Bailey said.

Motivated
    Bailey claims she is feeding off the success of her teammates in the event - Campbell-Brown, Kerron Stewart and Shelly-Ann Fraser - who are also in the semis. They are backing her as well, hoping that Bailey's performances will boost her confidence for the 4x100 metres relay.

"I think that's really good for us, that we can have four Jamaicans in the semi-finals," said Fraser. "Hopefully, we can have all four in the final."

"(Bailey) is running pretty good," said Campbell-Brown. "She ran really fast earlier in the season. Yeah, I'm definitely happy for her."

Bailey is happy too. And she is raring to go.

"I'm well rested," she said with her tradeark smile. "I did the same workouts my teammates did. So I'm ready."
    The front door is waiting.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

She will not earn a medal in the 100M, if dem don't mess up on the relays then she will earn her second gold in a major event.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
    X