RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ja owning US, Fraser ran sick? Gas Jet Effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ja owning US, Fraser ran sick? Gas Jet Effect?

Do you know how a jet engine operate? It exhales gas through the rear!

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewA...CLID=204776493

BERLIN -- As rivalries go, this USA-Jamaica thing is, frankly, looking a lot one-sided.
    The Jamaicans, simply put, are dominating.
    Shelly-Ann Fraser, last year's Olympic champion in the women's 100, made it two in a row Monday night, winning the 2009 World Championships 100 in 10.73 seconds.
    Kerron Stewart, second in the Beijing 100 -- second in Berlin, in 10.75, a personal best.
    Carmelia Jeter of the United States took third, in 10.90, so there was that for American track fans.
    Just to keep going, however, because they say the way to turn a problem around is first to recognize it and acknowledge it in its fullest. Fourth place here Monday night: Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica, the 2007 Worlds winner in the 100, in a season-best 10.95.
    To recap: Three of the top four, Jamaicans.
    Not to pile on, but the history books now say Jamaicans won both 100s in Berlin as well as both 100s in Beijing. Moreover, Jamaicans won both 200s in Beijing; the 200s here go off later in the week, with Tyson Gay, unquestionably the best sprinter America's got, announcing late Monday night that his sore groin is going to keep him out of that event.
    To recap, again: Six Olympic or world championship sprints over the past 12 months. All six to the Jamaicans.
    Allyson Felix of Santa Clarita, Calif., the 2005 and 2007 Worlds 200 champion -- a nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
    Of course, Campbell-Brown is the 2008 Olympic 200 champ. Felix got silver in Beijing.
    "We are not getting our butts kicked," American Lauryn Williams, the 2005 Worlds 100 champ, fifth here Monday in 11.01, asserted.
    What do the numbers say?
    The women's 100 went off the night after Jamaican Usain Bolt ran a staggering world-record 9.58 to win the men's 100. Jamaica's Asafa Powell finished third, in 9.84. Gay took second, in 9.71.
    Another recap, this one simply limited to Berlin: Three days into the meet. The two glamor races done. Six medals at issue. Four went to Jamaica. Two to the United States.
    Beyond Berlin:
    Bolt has now lowered the world record three times in two years, to 9.72, to 9.69 and now to 9.58.
    Just to put Bolt's race in perspective -- and no one has accused him of anything improper -- there's this:
    Ben Johnson crossed the line first in the 1988 Seoul Games in 9.79 and was then busted for doping. Bolt's 9.58 would have beaten Johnson by about six feet.
    "I was watching the race and I saw when he ran 9.58 and I texted my friend, 'This boy is not human at all,' " Fraser said Monday night with a laugh.
    To see Bolt do that -- that was "some motivation," she said, adding of the Jamaican women, "We had to rise to the occasion."
    Fraser's 10.73 is the fastest women's time in the 2000s. It tied her, with France's Christine Arron, as the third-fastest performer in the 100 of all time, behind Florence Griffith-Joyner and Marion Jones.
    Looking at it perhaps a bit more broadly:
    Of the eight top times in 2009 in the 100 coming into Monday night, seven were Jamaican -- all seven by either Fraser (four) or Stewart (three).
    Jeter, who began working last fall with coach John Smith, was fighting for third essentially from the start of Monday night's race.
    Fraser got out of the blocks scary fast and bolted, wide-eyed, down the track.
    Stewart gained on Fraser and almost -- almost -- got her at the end. Stewart said, "If you're going to run 10.75 and you're second, there's no complaints. I got beat. She ran a perfect race."
    Jeter was a full 15-hundredths of a second back of Stewart and, as she said, "These two women ran a great race."
    Fraser later disclosed that this year she had overcome appendix surgery and a bum hamstring. And, as it turned out, she said, gas pains between the semifinals and finals that were so severe she opted to sip some peppermint tea and take a little rest.
    Now how are you supposed to beat that?
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Rivalry between U.S. and Jamaican sprinting becoming one-sided affair

Story Highlights
    Shelly-Ann Fraser and Kerron Stewart finished 1-2 in women's 100 meters

On the heels of Usain Bolt's success, Jamaica has established clear dominance

Sprinting rivalry between U.S. and Jamaica becoming a one-sided affair

cnnShare.init(); PRINT EMAIL ARTICLEURLBuzz up! FACEBOOK DIGG TWITTER RSS SHARE

setActiveStyleSheet( CNN_FONT_COOKIE ? CNN_FONT_COOKIE : null );
    Kerron Stewart (left) and Shelly-Ann Fraser of Jamaica celebrate their medals after the women's 100 Meters Final.
    Mark Dadswell/Getty Images
    adsonar_placementId=1293005;adsonar_pid=770769;ads onar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=300;adsonar_zh=175;cnnad_createSL();

BERLIN -- On a night when Jamaica's women's speedsters confirmed the country's sprinting preeminence at the world championships in Berlin, the top female athlete in track and field was a stunning disappointment.

Shelly-Ann Fraser and Kerron Stewart went one-two in the women's 100 meters on Monday, leaving no doubt as to which country has the world's fastest humans just 24 hours after Usain Bolt decimated the world record in the men's hundred. On the same track, Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva, the sport's female athlete of the year in three of the past five years, no-heighted, allowing Poland's Anna Rogowska to capture a surprise gold medal and U.S. vaulter Chelsea Johnson to sneak in for a silver.
    The Jamaican women made it a two-person race soon after the gun went off, leaving Carmelita Jeter of the U.S. to fight for bronze. Fraser's 10.73 tied her for the third-fastest performer in history, behind only Florence Griffith-Joyner's preposterous 10.49 run at the 1988 Olympic trials and Marion Jones' 10.65 in 1998. Stewart crossed in 10.75, followed by Jeter in 10.90 and Jamaica's Veronica Campbell-Brown in 10.95. Like Bolt, Fraser confirmed her stature in the sport a year after winning the Olympics. "I don't tell myself I'm the favorite," Fraser said. "I tell myself I have to go get it like everybody else because everybody else wants it."
    The performance put to rest some of the controversy that surrounded the team over the past month. Last month, five Jamaican runners were implicated in a drug scandal. One of them, Yohan Blake, who trains with Bolt, ran 9.91 earlier this season. The five runners, all Berlin bound, tested positive for a stimulant, but were not suspended because of procedural irregularities and because the drug is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency but not the IAAF, the international governing body for track and field.
    Then last week, six athletes, including Fraser, were dropped from the team for refusing to attend a camp. The head of the Jamaican Amateur Athletic Association Howard Aries had pulled their names from the official team list. IAAF President Lamine Diack asked Aries not to use world championships as the venue for punishment and convinced Aries to reinstate them.
    To make matters worse, Fraser was feeling the lingering effects of appendix surgery she underwent in April, a pain that she said flared up before Monday's final.

"I had some pain right where I had my surgery," Fraser said, gripping her side after the race. "I was sipping some peppermint tea and then laying on my stomach to help ease the pain. I really hurt." The normally light-hearted and giggly Fraser had been on bed rest for weeks after the surgery. She said after the race that was withdrawing from the 200 in Berlin later this week but may still run the relay over the weekend.
    Perhaps the biggest challenge came from her own countryman and from trying to match the majestic performance turned in by Bolt on Sunday. "I sent a text to my friend [before her race] saying 'this boy's not human,'" she said. "I knew I had to represent for the ladies and say, 'okay, it's my time.'"
    And as we stand in 2009, it is clearly time to consider the rivalry between U.S. and Jamaican sprinting a one-sided affair. "Jamaica's taking track and field to a new and higher level," said Stewart.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/brian_cazeneuve/08/17/Jamaican.women/#ixzz0OXP1bRPh
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

watch di americans call for the ban of peppermint tea!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
      X